GR-55 - Hurdy Gurdy sound.. anyone?

Started by Overture, November 19, 2014, 03:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overture

Heiaz,

does anyone remotely can possibly have something like Hurdy Gurdy sound?

For who doesn't know what instrument is here's a demo:

papabuss

Very interesting instrument.
THX for the demo, Overture.

Need some time to think about if this sound is possible with the GR55.

P.S. I must admit that I first thought of Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man Song in 1968...

Edit: ( many folks consider this the first track by Led Zeppelin - since Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are playing on the Donovan Hit

BTW don't forget to watch his greatest song: Atlantis!
One of my favourites ever... ;)

And dont forget The Jeff Beck Group with Donovan too

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Elantric

arkieboy

try modifying a violin sound by adding a waveform with some spit to the beginning ... if you used something like a harpsichord sound, back off the attack a tad, set a fast decay together with zero sustain and release and then layer that on a regular violin sound then you might start to get close.  Tune the bottom three strings to E, B, E using the pitch transpose for the drone - you might be able to use the hold control to keep them going if I remember how roland hold pedals work - if you set a very slow lfo->pitch mod with a decent delay time, you might be able to get the drones to waver in pitch like they were being bowed by the wheel of the hurdy-gurdy

I tried to get a hurdy-gurdy sound from my Axon/EMu using a pretty expensive sample set: I could only get it to sound like bagpipes (which worked fine on the record as it happens!) so good luck!!

Steve

(edited to reverse Safari's autocorrect.  Hurry goody indeed!!)
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Overture

mrowley

Our band has been presented with a new song to learn which uses this instrument, so I'm working up a patch for it.
Cello mixed with Bagpipes or Shanai is a good starting point for this sound.
You may need to play 'pedal' notes to achieve the drone effect optimally.