VG-99 - Recording through VG99/USB or Duet/Audio-In (Mac)

Started by Baldadi, February 02, 2009, 05:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldadi

Hi there,
setting up my VG99 I have connected to my iMAC though USB and have set it up to act as my soundcard for now using Logic Pro 8. Good results so far.

However I have two 'issues' I'd like your advice on:
1) my USB output is not loud enough, even when I set the USB out volume to MAX setting (200). It's only around 3/4 of volume I'd like it to be for low noise audio... Any hints?
2) I have a high quality Apogee Duet Soundcard, which has great drivers, integrated Logic functionality, and a great user interface. So, an alternative would be to lead the audio-out of the VG99 into my Duet (which is connected to my active monitors) and use that for recording. Anyone have any experience in quality differences?
It comes down to this general question....what do you guys prefer: use the VG99 as a soundcard or plug the audio from the VG99 into your existing soundcard/mixer.

Regards,
RB

Elantric

I plug the audio from the VG99 into my existing soundcard/mixer.

Using the VG-99 as soundcard - anytime you change VG-99 patches - the whole audio output mutes, so i don't use the VG-99 as my sound card.

I use the XLR sub outs into my MOTU 828 MK3, or Akai DPS24/RME-Hammerfall rig.

Or use TRS cables from the VG-99 balanced main outputs.

Baldadi

Thanks. That's an easy decision then!

How about midi: do you use the VG99 as your midi-connector if you were to use a keyboard of would you have a separate midi connector (integrated in soundcard or otherwise). Any thoughts?

regards
RB

Elantric

I use my MOTU 828MK3 for MIDI

i only use VG-99 USB connection for the  VG-99 Editor

Baldadi

Thanks for the quick response, will do the same!
Kind regards, R

fokof

I don't know about logic , but in Digital Performer , you can enable as many interface you want/have.

I have A G5 with a PCI424 (2408MKIII and HD-192) I also have a Fire wire unit wich I use as an EQ for my room.(828MKIII)

In DP , I enable the PCI , the 828 , and my VB-99 also Soundflower.

If you can't have more than one device in Logic , open "audio/MIDI utility" in OSX and crate an agregated device , then choose this device as audio I/O
Heads-up; if you don't have any way to convert the sampling rate of your VG99 , all you "Projects" will have to be 44,1 with that way.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on February 02, 2009, 08:04:43 AM
I plug the audio from the VG99 into my existing soundcard/mixer.

Using the VG-99 as soundcard - anytime you change VG-99 patches - the whole audio output mutes, so i don't use the VG-99 as my sound card.

I use the XLR sub outs into my MOTU 828 MK3, or Akai DPS24/RME-Hammerfall rig.

Or use TRS cables from the VG-99 balanced main outputs.

I wondered about this.  "any time you change vg99 patches the whole audio output mutes".   I take it this means, for example, changing from patch 138 to 111 you'd have this effect.

What if you had a patch that had compression, chorus and delay and you edited that patch to be able to turn distortion on and off within that patch - would it let you get around that problem?  Stay at patch 138 and just turn on and off certain effects within that patch?

I haven't tried it yet.  I've found the clarity and lack of noise using the usb connection is nice and I did find a way around the slightly lower volume level (using compression within the app is one way).

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

washburn100

I have a similar problem. I go from the sub out xlr's to the line inuts of my Alesis Mastercontrol but find the input is not quite hot enough. I thought of coming out of the mains, but I thought these were unbalanced TR jacks. Any body have any suggesions about how to get a hotter signal besides just raising patch level?
Thanks,
Rick

Brent Flash

Quote from: washburn100 on August 27, 2009, 10:24:55 AM
I have a similar problem. I go from the sub out xlr's to the line inuts of my Alesis Mastercontrol but find the input is not quite hot enough. I thought of coming out of the mains, but I thought these were unbalanced TR jacks. Any body have any suggesions about how to get a hotter signal besides just raising patch level?
Thanks,
Rick
There is a sub out level that defaults at 100%. You could raise that and see if it gets your level where you want it. It is in the GLOBAL SETTINGS.

aliensporebomb

Anyone use the SP/DIF type jack?  I have some ideas on that too.  More in a bit.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

feloniouspunk

Lots of Gear. :)