GR-55 - Guitar Harmonies on GR-55

Started by dogbite, February 13, 2012, 07:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Quote from: gafaell on June 22, 2012, 08:20:52 AM
Yes, i totally agree with you. An intelligent pitch shifter is really necessary in this unit.

I hope this will come in the next 1.50 upgrade.

After using GR 30, VG 88 with the harmonizer function it has become an important effect for lead guitars, brasses and piano harmonies.

I doubt Roland could tackle intelligent harmonies for guitar/COSM with just a firmware update (there are probably hardware/ design limitations barring this) but adding a MIDI harmonizer for the PCM stuff ought to be feasible.  It's simple integer math when you come right down to it; the biggest challenge would be designing the UI and accounting for patch settings in the underlying data structures.

Jim Williams

I think that any update will be things that you don't notice like bug fixes. You wont see any additional effects or anything like that. I would think it would safe to say the only thing you will see is some new parameters for piezo guitars. I think the processor is capable of some new additions but Roland won't give us anything like that.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Litesnsirens

I'm trying to figure why they couldn't implement an intelligent harmoniser.  The unit already does "unintelligent" harmonies in whatever interval you choose.  What would be so difficult in adding the code to make the harmony follow a chosen modal scale.  I can't figure why that would take a hardware change.
The GR-55 doesn't have hardware that can hang with the Boss PS6 stomp pedal?

tekrytor

I agree that should be possible, BUT, it would require some additional memory which is probably scarce. I suspect they used most of the available memory to program what features we now have. More features would require optimization of the existing functionality in code while reducing code size, which is the artistry of advanced programming skills and would cost time and money that could be spent on new products. Of course most of us would prefer an update though. I paid Roland for updates before and would do so again for useful new features, like more loop time. It can be done.

SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

piriolirio

It's only a software problem. The unit is capable of pitch recognition and polyphonic transposition of each string. Pitch recognition + variable transposition with software is possible. It's just a question of implementing a function, allowing the user to set key and scale for each patch. It can be done easily, please Roland do it! We really need it!

Christoplast

If you have access to Kontakt, you can use the harmonisation functionality in that, driven by MIDI from the GR-55. You choose key, scale, type of harmony (1-3-5, 1-3-6, etc.) and then just play. It works reasonably well for me, but, of course, you are using samples rather than the GR-55's own voice(s). Maybe some generous time-rich person will be kind (or crazy) enough to provide multisample sets of selected GR-55 patches :D

Litesnsirens

Even if it does turn out to be a resource taxing implementation, they can still easily offer it.  The unit already tells you if you have over-taxed it when creating a patch by displaying a DSP overload message.  The simple answer was that I had to go a different route to achieve the sound I was looking for.

I'd happily do the same if I added an intelligent pitch shifter and got an overload message.  If I had an amp plus OD I would just dump the OD and try to get close with a more overdriven amp tone.  Or maybe dump a compressor or EQ.

I don't see how it would be that much more code to add the integers required to just have the already existing pitch shifter follow a scale.  I think this unit is pretty good at maximizing the DSP power it has, either that or it has more than we give it credit for.   

If I consider the patches I have created that use all 8 ctrl assignments to do things like changing both PCM tones and the guitar model (ie; acoustic to strat) etc etc. one of the following scenarios must be true because it can switch all these things instantly, much faster than if you switch between two patches.
Either the unit has enough DSP to have 4 PCM patches and two different guitar models loaded into memory along with all the other effects you have in the chain OR Roland has a smart enough scheme to load them up on the fly as you step on the control switch. 

Either way it demonstrates enough efficiency or power to handle somehing like intelligent pitch shifting and fairly easily too. 

On a side note I have read on here requests for an arpeggiator too, I'd also love to see it.  This is my first guitar synth and it never occurred to me before but I love the idea. 

gumtown

Quote from: Litesnsirens on June 23, 2012, 07:34:26 AM
Even if it does turn out to be a resource taxing implementation, they can still easily offer it.  The unit already tells you if you have over-taxed it when creating a patch by displaying a DSP overload message.  The simple answer was that I had to go a different route to achieve the sound I was looking for.
I have not seen this on any Boss/Roland gear, i thought this was only a feature of the latest Line6 PODs??
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Litesnsirens

I just got my GR-55 on June 2, so I haven't had it long but I was trying to put together a patch and a DSP overload message popped up as I was trying to load  another effect.  I have an HD500 so I just took it in stride as it popped up.  It has only happened once and I'm not sure how I got there.  If it happens again or if I can recreate it somehow, I'll take a picture of the display and post it up.

aliensporebomb

Never seen it on the VG-99 either and I've literally tried to push it until it explodes in many cases.

Interesting.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Litesnsirens

The VG-99 is a beast though... Good luck pushing it to its limit.