GR-55 - Distortion patch

Started by Danno, July 23, 2013, 07:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno

Hi All - I'm trying to build a warm, slightly distorted, kind of a Stevie Ray Vaughn type patch.  A feature I'm really trying to develop in this patch is a crystal clean tone when picking gently, and smooth, warm and fat distorted tone with aggressive picking.  I don't seem to be able to get that dynamic.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Dan

musicman65

VG99 or GR55? I'm not sure on the GR55 but in the VG99 you can put a compressor effect AFTER the amp to boost the volume of light picking. Works great and makes the tone more touch sensitive. Possibly, this can be done in the GR55 as well.

bd

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Danno

Sorry, yes a GR55.  Thanks for the idea!

Danno

Papabus - something along the lines of Texas Flood, or closer yet, Gary Moore's Red House   I love Moore's dynamic and the way he can take the guitar from sweet and clean to a mean growl.  With my analogue pedals I'd get that by changing volume, clean when picking softly or even turning the volume pot down a hair, then overdrive things with more aggressive picking (or turning up the volume pot a bit to burn the preamp). I don't seem to be able to get that same dynamic with the 55.

Thanks for posting the SRV patch.  I'll definitely give it a try!