VG-99 - Metallica - To Live Is To Die - First Solo

Started by aragon, November 26, 2012, 04:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aragon

Is anybody know how I can reproduce the guitar effect at the beginning of the first guitar solo (at 03:15) of the song To Live Is To Die of Metallica,  I think he is using his guitar volume but I'm not sure. Since I'm not a professional guitar player any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Brent Flash

First notes he is playing two strings while bending one to the note you hear him end up on. Then he toggles the pickup selector switch.

aragon

aragon

Brent ,
Do you think it's possible to replicate that using a VG-99 COSM Guitar with the PU Selector ?

aliensporebomb

Quote from: aragon on November 27, 2012, 02:44:55 PM
Brent ,
Do you think it's possible to replicate that using a VG-99 COSM Guitar with the PU Selector ?

Yeah!  Just have the "synth" position be a distorted guitar patch and then don't have anything for the mag pickups and flip back and forth quickly.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

aragon

Here is what I found. Kirk Hammett is using a kind of muting technique by flicking the pickup selector switch between the neck
and the bridge pickups with the volume of the bridge pickup at 0. To get the effect , we have to flick the switch fast enough.

So to replicate that effect I tried to use the FC-300 CTL pedal 1 to swicth the COSM Guitar of my VG-99 on and off . The effect is there but it's difficult to switch fast enough with the CTL pedal.

I also tried to use my GK3 select switch , it's quite good but I don't like to use that switch to do that since I'm not sure the GK3 is strong enough to be use like this.

Is anybody have some idea ?

Brent Flash

You may get the slicer to give you a similar effect.

VladLZ

You can assign volume switch from 0 to 100 and make it by pressing control 1 or 2 button on the VG-99. This way it really works. Hope I helped :)