dial up world-class tones for recording
and practice. In addition to the guitar
input, an XLR mic input is included for
capturing vocals or acoustic instruments,
and the built-in USB audio/MIDI interface
provides a direct connection for creating
music with your favorite DAW. Like the
GT-100, the GT-001 offers powerful
sound creation possibilities with dual amps and effects chains and flexible routing options. On top of that, a
newly developed guitar-to-MIDI function lets you have fun with soft synths in Guitar Friend Jam and other
computer programs from a normal guitar input—no special pickup required! Available as a free download,
the BOSS TONE STUDIO software provides a cool graphical interface for tweaking tones from your computer,
plus access to BOSS TONE CENTRAL for free studio-ready patches and much more.
Flagship GT Power on Your Desktop
??Premium amps and effects in a stylish desktop unit
??Includes BOSS' latest COSM amp models, powerful MDP effects, and more
??Flexible routing of amps and effects through two effect chains
??Advanced USB audio/MIDI interface with two internal ports for flexible recording and efficient reamping
??Compatible with GT-100 Version 2.0 sound patches
??Panel knobs for adjusting sounds and dedicated buttons for calling up favorite tones
??BOSS TONE STUDIO editor/librarian for Mac/Windows and custom patches available at bosstonecentral.com
??XLR mic input with phantom power; specially designed effects patches for vocals and acoustic guitars
??1/8-inch input for connecting a stereo device such as a smart phone or music player
??Monophonic guitar-to-MIDI conversion from normal 1/4-inch guitar input
??Jack for connecting an expression pedal or up to two footswitches for real-time effects control and patch changes
??Powered by USB bus or included AC adaptor
GT-001
Guitar Effects Processor
GT-001 2
www.boss.info
Pro-Level Sound for Recording and
Jamming
Under the hood of the GT-001's stylish, streamlined
body is a full-featured BOSS multi-effects processor with
premium tone. Its COSM amps and effects are equivalent
to the GT-100 with Version 2.0 software—BOSS' topof-
the-line processor for stage performers—and patch
data can be shared between the two units. Dual effects
chains allow you to create complex tones with two amps
and series/parallel effects routings, providing pro-level
performance for all your music productions. Advanced
parameters include a channel divide function that lets you
switch effects chains manually or according to frequency
or playing dynamics, and adjustable left/right mixing for
flexible audio capture in your DAW.
A Powerful Tool for DAW Music
Production
Via a single USB cable, the GT-001 functions as a highquality
audio interface for your Mac or Windows
computer, allowing you to record great amp and effects
tones directly into your DAW. Four audio channels provide
lots of flexibility while recording, with two channels
dedicated for the dry signal only. This lets you listen to the
GT-001's amps and effects while capturing an unprocessed
signal in your DAW, simultaneously record processed
and dry tones on separate tracks, and listen to the DAW
output while reamping tracks back through the GT-001. In
addition, the ability to power the GT-001 with either the
included AC adapter or a computer's USB bus offers great
convenience for home setups, studio sessions, and mobile
recording with a laptop PC.
XLR Mic Input and Patches Designed for Vocals and Acoustic Guitars
The GT-001 is not just a guitar processor—you can also connect a mic to capture vocal and acoustic instrument
performances into your DAW. The XLR mic input is equipped with phantom power, allowing you to use a condenser
mic for top recording quality. Specially designed patches for vocals and acoustic guitars are included, providing great
sound for monitoring and tracking. The GT-001 also has a stereo aux input, perfect for connecting a smart phone or
drum machine for jamming when you're not connected to your computer.
Enjoy Computer-Based MIDI instruments from Your Normal Guitar
The GT-001 includes a monophonic guitar-to-MIDI function that allows you to play soft synths and other MIDI
instruments in your computer from your normal axe, with no special pickup required. Powered by newly developed
BOSS technology, this cool and convenient function is great fun when working with Roland's free Guitar Friend Jam
software, and also lets you experiment with using your guitar to create MIDI sequences in music production software.
Edit and Organize Sounds with BOSS TONE STUDIO
Available as a free download for Mac or Windows, BOSS TONE STUDIO gives you an intuitive graphical interface for
creating and editing GT-001 effects patches from your computer via USB. The software also makes it easy to organize
and archive patches, and to load them as needed for different songs and styles. If your computer has Internet access,
BOSS TONE STUDIO provides an integrated connection to the BOSS TONE CENTRAL website, where you can preview
and download free patches created by top guitar pros directly into the GT-001. These premium patches also work with
the GT-100, and can be easily customized with the editing tools available in BOSS TONE STUDIO.
GT-001
Guitar Effects Processor
GT-001 3
www.boss.info
BOSS TONE CENTRAL: Your Web Home for Free Patches, Instructional
Vids, Artist Tips, and More
BOSS TONE CENTRAL is the ultimate destination for all
players that use BOSS guitar and bass products. Evolving
to include a growing selection of BOSS gear, this newly
launched site gives you access to lots of premium
content, including demo videos and free patches created
by famous guitarists, touring pros, and session players.
Check back often for new patches, how-to videos, artist
interviews, and much more. If you love BOSS effects, BOSS
TONE CENTRAL is the place to be!

papabuss

...with all the new livesets for GT available here:

http://bosstonecentral.com/

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Elantric

I understand Roland sales reps are reporting Boss GT-001 ship this week

Elantric

Initial Review for Boss GT-001

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1441088

I like it being a real desktop unit as opposed to all those floor units ending up on my desk.
I guess Boss seized the opportunity now the much beloved POD bean is being depreciated by Line 6.
So far it's a fun toy to play with.

Are the presets any good?
As with most multi effects units 99% is crap.
Even the "Tone Central" patches from all the big name players are somewhat disappointing.
To get the most out of the GT-001, you have to build your own patches, but from then on it's an absolute treat.
The degree of depth to set parameters is beyond my expectations.
Custom amp models have like 5 tabs with settings but of course GT100 users already know that.
It's easy to chain the effects any way you like and the well known A/B channel approach will let you create stunning multidimensional sounds.

Allthough the build quality of the unit itself is excellent, the "BOSS TONE STUDIO" software has a lot to be desired.
It's pretty slowish and i experienced some crashes.
Boss software used to be rock solid but there's already a version 1.03 of the firmware while it came with 1.00...

I tried the MIDI thing but that really is a bummer and not usable at all.

Is it a keeper?
Well for me it is.
The sound quality is first-rate and the user interface is superb.
It's everything i expect from "desktop" multi effects processor and more.

Kevin M

Quote from: Elantric on June 10, 2014, 02:44:50 PM
Initial Review for Boss GT-001

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1441088

I like it being a real desktop unit as opposed to all those floor units ending up on my desk.
I guess Boss seized the opportunity now the much beloved POD bean is being depreciated by Line 6.
So far it's a fun toy to play with.

Are the presets any good?
As with most multi effects units 99% is crap.
Even the "Tone Central" patches from all the big name players are somewhat disappointing.
To get the most out of the GT-001, you have to build your own patches, but from then on it's an absolute treat.
The degree of depth to set parameters is beyond my expectations.
Custom amp models have like 5 tabs with settings but of course GT100 users already know that.
It's easy to chain the effects any way you like and the well known A/B channel approach will let you create stunning multidimensional sounds.

Allthough the build quality of the unit itself is excellent, the "BOSS TONE STUDIO" software has a lot to be desired.
It's pretty slowish and i experienced some crashes.
Boss software used to be rock solid but there's already a version 1.03 of the firmware while it came with 1.00...

I tried the MIDI thing but that really is a bummer and not usable at all.

Is it a keeper?
Well for me it is.
The sound quality is first-rate and the user interface is superb.
It's everything i expect from "desktop" multi effects processor and more.

I eagerly await a more in depth review of this unit. Love the small footprint for recording work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mbenigni

QuoteLove the small footprint for recording work.
Me too!  And also for live work, using external controllers!  I wish Roland would just sell me a GR55 that looks like this (except functional):

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8990.msg66086#msg66086

Elantric

QuoteLove to [use Boss GT-001] for live work, using external controllers!

Of course you are restricted to One FS-6 Dual Footswitch or One Expression pedal as your "External controller" - since there is only One External Control Jack  - and same problems as Boss GP-10 - the Boss GT-001 is Not  USB  Class Compliant, so those "Eight Control Assignments per patch" will be left dormant unless you haul a PC/Mac running the Boss GT-001 USB Driver to gain access for a remote MIDI foot controller to operate this unit at a live gig.

Part me is about to raise a campaign to boycott these products until Roland gets their act together and realize its 2014, and Tablet Computer connectivity is important using UsB Class Compliant gear. And if they are going to remove the 5 pin MIDI ports in a cost cutting move, this kills possibility of remote control. I bet if you call Roland and ask why no 5 pin MIDI I/O jacks  - they will boast "we have something better - USB!) But since its Not USB Audio/MIDI Class Compliant, we have no path to use any external controllers without a PC/Mac acting as USB Host. 

Read here to understand why today  a 10 year old Digitech GNX-3000 is far more appealing to me than a Boss GT-001 or the GT-100  (USB Audio /MIDI Class Compliant  @ 24 Bits and  5 pin MIDI I/O  and direct connection to the Ipad+CCK (no powered USB Hub required ) means its near perfect as my Live iPad rig ) 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8291.msg80295#msg80295

mbenigni

Agreed, no 5-pin and no class-compliant USB MIDI equals: dead end.  I wouldn't go so far as calling it a boycott, but I don't have any intention of buying either, for these very reasons.  I just don't see how you're expected to use them to their full potential as they stand right now.  The GT-001 is fine on a desktop, at home or in the studio, but they're both basically crippled for live work.

My comment above was just meant to express how convenient these smaller footprints are... or could have been.

Henky

Hi guys,

I was the one who wrote the gearpage post quoted above.
I just tried connecting the GT-001 to my iConnectMidi device and i can confirm the GT-001 does NOT respond to any incoming program changes which indeed indicates the device has no class-compliant USB MIDI.

But then again this device is meant to sit on your desk connected to your computer and in that case it's easy to connect a midi foot controller and use the "Eight Control Assignments per patch".
If you want to use patches created with the GT-001 in a live situation you might as well just use a GT100. ;)

Elantric

QuoteI just tried connecting the GT-001 to my iConnectMidi device and i can confirm the GT-001 does NOT respond to any incoming program changes which indeed indicates the device has no class-compliant USB MIDI.

Henky,

Thanks for the report on Boss GT-001 NOT being a  USB Class Compliant device. I expect similar issue with Boss GP-10

Boss GP-10 Pitfalls, caveats, omissions.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10842.0

Bill Ruppert

Is this the same henky that blew me post after post of CRAP on the TGP for making synth sounds with the Kemper?

Bill Ruppert

I got the GT-001 and I must say I am blown away.
Thumbs up on sound and the editor program is top notch.
No wifi needed to edit and it runs on ant iphone portable usb battery if you want to take it outside with headphones.
This thing kills... midi or no midi.
Great tone.
I can fly on it using just the edit buttons and 4 assignable knobs and buttons on the front panel.
They knock it out for me.
Studio work ready.
ps
Presets and whats up there on their site is not great. You need to make your own.
Not hard.

gumtown

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on June 17, 2014, 06:10:18 PM
Presets and whats up there on their site is not great. You need to make your own.
Not hard.

Does make you wonder about some of the "named artist" patch sets and their taste in good tone,
or was their tones decided/produced by a recording engineer instead?

or maybe we are not using the gear the way it was intended to be used?

I agree that the best tones are the ones you create yourself.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

myksara

Does it have a very good guitar to midi to drive soft synths in a DAW?
Can I use this with my guitar and get rid of my midi keyboard?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

DeRigueur

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on June 17, 2014, 06:10:18 PM
Great tone.
Hopefully, this is an indication of how the gp-10 will sound.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

DeRigueur

Quote from: Elantric on June 11, 2014, 07:38:41 AM
But since its Not USB Audio/MIDI Class Compliant, we have no path to use any external controllers without a PC/Mac acting as USB Host.

Could one of those Windows 8 tablets connect to it via usb?
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Elantric

QuoteCould one of those Windows 8 tablets connect to it via usb?

Yes - but be carful to avoid a "Windows RT" tablet - which is an incompatible OS ( which bulk of those tablets run ) as there are no Roland USB drivers for Windows RT devices that use ARM CPUs .

read more about Windows 8 tablets here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11547.new#new

gumtown

Quote from:  myksara on June 17, 2014, 10:21:05 PM
Does it have a very good guitar to midi to drive soft synths in a DAW?
Can I use this with my guitar and get rid of my midi keyboard?
It should be the same as the GT-100 which does monophonic guitar to midi.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteIt should be the same as the GT-100 which does monophonic guitar to midi.

And does not work for more than one string and one note a time  - (no playing two note partials, and no chords )

Bill Ruppert

This thing feels so good.
I wonder if its the same ported over to the other newer GT things.

I wonder if its exact.
If so Roland, did not show people how far they have come.This kind of levels the playing field.
At least when programed. At this point there is NO reason COSM should have a bad name.
Its right up there with my other gear.

Elantric

Quotegot the GT-001 and I must say I am blown away.
Thumbs up on sound and the editor program is top notch.
No wifi needed to edit

Bill as far as i can determine  - the Boss Tone Studio Editor for Boss GT-100/GT-001 allows you to create your own patches.

And Boss Tone Central allows a one way download of Artist Patches here:
http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/gt/

http://bosstonecentral.com/about/
Question? - Do you see any means of GT-001 owners to Upload their Patches to Boss Tone Central?

Since Boss Tone Studio Editor GT app will not run without the  Boss GT-100/GT-001 Hardware being attached to your PC/Mac.   I'm wondering if  there is a hidden Roland  User to User Patch sharing Database access that "non owners" never see?

In the mean time - we have started a Boss GT-100/GT-001 User to User Patch Exchange area here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=150.0

And will expand with separate categories as needed.

Elantric

BOSS GT001 Review with tear down

MickTheHat

Have had my GT-001 for a little over 2 weeks now, and can confirm the sound quality is superb. Have had so much fun messing about with my Jazz bass that I've scarcely explored it from a 6-string perspective yet. Bought it almost entirely as a direct-to DAW sound module, and it is easily the best unit in its price range that I have ever tried. There is one possibly major caveat, however.

Apart from its miniscule size, the overall construction appears to be markedly flimsy - and I'm particularly concerned about the inputs and outputs. I'm not at all convinced that they can adequately cope with a lot of regular plugging and unplugging, so I'm worried that this unit could soon turn into a rather expensive paperweight, just because an input or output has failed. So, 8 out of 10 for this reason (but, soundwise, the Full Monty!).

hippietim

The lack of MIDI is a bummer.  I'd like to grab one just for effects with my Axe-FX II.  I've been thinking of grabbing a GT-Pro now that they're selling for under $300 on the used market.  I'd like to have the Tera Echo and the Multi-Overtone though.  I may also grab a used a GT-100 or grab a new one on a coupon deal somewhere.

amplayer

Quote from: Elantric on July 08, 2014, 11:12:21 AM
BOSS GT001 Review with tear down

For the most part, I love Tony McKenzie reviews.
However, near the end of this video, he plays some sounds.  It sounds badly distorted to me.
I wonder if he overloaded one or more stages in the signal chain.