GR-55 - No sound from GR 55 after computer use! (USB Direct Monitor Switch)

Started by JCcares, February 28, 2012, 09:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCcares

My GR 55 never gave me issues,but the last time I tried to record using the USB out, I ran into some issues like static noises & Logic (DAW) almost crashed.Not sure if it was a sample rate conflict or something.Anyway I haven't used the GR 55 & today ,after a couple of days,I turn on GR55 & everything looks good.With red light on my GK pick-up & I was even able to tune my guitar with the GR tuner.But then I dont hear any sound coming out of the outputs,not even headphone out! What do I do.I have a feeling that this issue must have propped up due to the previous problems I had recording GR 55 via USB.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

JCcares

Whew,Problem solved,thank God! The direct monitor switch was set to off!
But then I'm not using the USB record function,so why should this affect the normal function.In fact I used the GR55 for a live performance before I recorded a couple of days back.An when I did record via USB I never meddled with the direct monitor switch! :o

Elantric

The GR-55's Direct Monitor switch is very important.

As you observed - if it is set to "off" - you will not get any sound output from the GR-55 in stand alone mode.

Also if you set it "off when connected to a computer, you may get the false assumption that the GR-55 has terribly bad latency, with long delays between when you hit the strings and when you eventually hear sound.

The Direct Monitor in "Off" mode is there when you want to use your GR-55 audio signal source to be fed to a computer (via USB) for external processing (perhaps using a Guitar Amp Sim, N.I. Guitar Rig, I.K Amplitube, VSTi, etc).

The caveat is you must have a very fast computer for this type processing to minimize latency.   

Rorster

I've thankfully never had a problem with the "direct monitor" switch. However if I know me, one of these days I'll accidentally screw with it and find myself freaking out wondering what the hell is going on.... Would one of you fine folks kindly give a little info on where to find it. I don't think I've ever come across it. I have and of course love Gumtowns editor (I gave him a small donation and occasionally mantra his name) it totally makes the unit accessible. Back to the "direct monitor switch". I assume it's to be found somewhere in/through the editor? Thanks in advance for any direction/info here.

gumtown

From the Editor, it is found in "System" > "System and Midi settings", in the "USB Audio" group of settings.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/