Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

Started by RicardoLove, March 02, 2011, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Elantric on November 23, 2016, 05:40:33 PM

Bill Ruppert Profiled his VG-99
I would love to know his steps in doing so. I followed the instructions and got a clean tone instead of the funky brass preset I was working with lol  :'(

When I a/B'd the captured profile and referenced "amp"; the referenced amp sounded exactly as it normally does. I know the Kemper isn't made to do what I tried to make it do. Good practice if nothing else.

whippinpost91850

Katana , may sound decent . But it's like comparing apples and oranges. In my humble oppinion

whippinpost91850

scratch17

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

whippinpost91850

They are here and are fabulous. I wish I had more of a use for them. Playing live I only get a little use now

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/simple-lightweight-clean-amp-for-use-with-modeler-still-powerful-enough-for-use-on-stage.1814695/page-3
QuoteFollow up on using katana 100 as active speaker:

Yesterday I carried my Kemper and Katana100 at reharsal and HOLY S#*T!!!
I used the preset I made on acoustic mode+parametricEQ, turned cab character all the way to -5 and used full Kemper profiles including CAB section.

Great sounds, wide ranges and the cabs make all the difference in the world.
Loudness was amazing, 100w mode was too much I switched to 50w mode, master at 11o'clock, volume&gain at noon, kemper master volume @6,5.(we play hard&heavy covers with loud drumming)

Amazing with Kemper full profiles, amazing on its own but will have to try more OK Katana alone( target of the experiment was to make Katana100 as close as I can to a Frfr)

thebrushwithin

Another post there:

"very well gents, I did some more tweaking to make it work as almost a FRFR speaker

ALL OF THIS IS AIMED TO USE THE PROFILES WITH CAB SECTION OF THE KEMPER-->BOSS KATANA INPUT -->ACOUSTIC MODE/CHANNEL
(going into return of the amp is easy and great sounding, but you miss the cabs of your profiles)

I started tweaqing the eq section in acoustic mode and did not seem to achieve anything close to what I wanted ( had a yamaha studio monitor to compare), then I read again about this guy and noticed he had been tweaking a parametriq eq of the amp, which is one of the many virtual stomps you can program in the Katana chain, so I started tweaking, I got close enough with that, the image attached is to show the settings of katana'sparametric eq.

But still there was something quite not right, some high mids that I could not dial out, then playing with the cab section of the Kemper I found the sweet spot I was looking for: Character to be dialed out to -5 (far left).

I perfectly know that a FRFR powered speaker would be the proper and accurate way to go, but if you have one of those amazing Katana as a backup try this trick and tell me what do you think of it[​IMG]

[img]very well gents, I did some more tweaking to make it work as almost a FRFR speaker

ALL OF THIS IS AIMED TO USE THE PROFILES WITH CAB SECTION OF THE KEMPER-->BOSS KATANA INPUT -->ACOUSTIC MODE/CHANNEL
(going into return of the amp is easy and great sounding, but you miss the cabs of your profiles)

I started tweaqing the eq section in acoustic mode and did not seem to achieve anything close to what I wanted ( had a yamaha studio monitor to compare), then I read again about this guy and noticed he had been tweaking a parametriq eq of the amp, which is one of the many virtual stomps you can program in the Katana chain, so I started tweaking, I got close enough with that, the image attached is to show the settings of katana'sparametric eq.

But still there was something quite not right, some high mids that I could not dial out, then playing with the cab section of the Kemper I found the sweet spot I was looking for: Character to be dialed out to -5 (far left).

I perfectly know that a FRFR powered speaker would be the proper and accurate way to go, but if you have one of those amazing Katana as a backup try this trick and tell me what do you think of it
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/simple-lightweight-clean-amp-for-use-with-modeler-still-powerful-enough-for-use-on-stage.1814695/page-2

admin

Kemper Beta 5.3 Firmware

Audio

added: Mix parameter in Treble Booster and Lead Booster
added: Ducking parameter, if Treble Booster or Lead Booster are used in stereo Modules changed: Mix control of Distortion effects improved. Level is unity at Mix 0%

changed: Direct Out/Send muted immediately, if Effect Loop gets deactivated changed: reduced latency of Pitch Shifter effects incl. Transpose
changed: sound of Formant Shifter improved in combination with Pitch Shifter effects changed: Freeze Formants in Pedal Pitch improved

changed: Freeze Formants option added in Pedal Vinyl Stop
changed: Formant Shift as continuous controller in Pedal Pitch not useful and obsoleted

User Interface

added: Remote supports Profiler Mode

added: new MIDI option "Pedals to MIDI" in System Settings enables pedal controllers CC#1, 4, 7, and 11 to be sent to two external MIDI devices, even if triggered by pedals connected to Profiler or Remote

added: Master Volume display reflecting all output volumes to better illustrate its functionality

added: with the new option "Signal LEDs Blue" in the System Settings the color of the Input and Output LEDs can be changed

added: new warning indicating MIDI buffer overflow, if too many program chances are received within too short time frame

added: Profiler doesn't try to restore corrupted backup files
fixed: MIDI clock display stabilized
fixed: correct handling of Pedal Volume after Rig change, if "WahPedal to Volume" is enabled fixed: correct processing of MIDI controlling changes immediately following a program change fixed: logical conflicts between Morph Pedal and Morph Button
fixed: disabled Slots accidentally appear as enabled
fixed: Uno4Kemper conflict with relative addressing in Browser Mode

fixed: default Pitch if "WahPedal to Pitch" or "MorphPedal to Pitch" are activated. fixed: Tuner Mode exits Performance scrolling
fixed: erroneous Locking after Mode changes
fixed: erroneous Morphing of Slot 4 in Performance edit buffer after restar

fixed: polarity option for external switches gets ignored, if a pedal is configured
fixed: correct handling of "Delay on/off Tail" triggered via external switch
changed: "Power Amp On" instead of "Power Amp" in PowerHead and PowerRack Output Section changed: scale of Crystal Mix und Pitch Mix parameter changed to 0-100%

changed: option to display time on Remote on page Date and Time in System Settings (had been hidden feature before)

Elantric

This working excellent as my Kemper Toaster bag

room for Kemper Toaster  and cables and gig accessories for one grab & go bag to head to record in the studio
$35

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HCWY8Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Material: high density cotton canvas and classical bronze tone hardware
Multiple pockets design: 2*side zipper pockets, 1*front zipper pockets, 1*front magnetic snap pocket and 1*main compartment equipped with an inner zipper wall pocket and two open wall pocket, which makes your good lay in the bag systematically
Versatile carrying: it comes with rounded padded stitched grip handles and an adjustable, detachable shoulder strap buckle that are convenient for versatile carrying. The zips are all large zipper, which are smooth and durable
It's two way zipper top closures design of main compartment with huge storage which can hold all your essentials for a long weekend. At the bottom of the bag, our duffel bag equips with high quality plastic cushions, which makes the bag well resistance to dirty
Multi-functional: this travel duffel bag can hold all your daily essentials like clothes, shoes, etc. It's suitable for anyone on travelling, camping, business, sporting
Report incorrect product information.

Fits the KPA Toaster and remote + a couple Proline Expression pedals

lespauled

My Kemper was delivered yesterday, and I am hurting today.  I played until my fingers hurt, then looked at the clock, and knew it wasn't going to be a good day at work.

The stock profiles on the Kemper are amazing.  The clarity of every profile is stunning, to say the least.  I'm only 7 hours into it, but I am completely loving this thing.

jassy

Quote from: lespauled on July 14, 2017, 11:55:23 AM
My Kemper was delivered yesterday, and I am hurting today.  I played until my fingers hurt, then looked at the clock, and knew it wasn't going to be a good day at work.

The stock profiles on the Kemper are amazing.  The clarity of every profile is stunning, to say the least.  I'm only 7 hours into it, but I am completely loving this thing.
Now try the amazing amount of musical and useful tones you get simply rolling your guitar volume pot up and down. Nothing can compare in the digital modeling domain.
And I agree in the stock profiles (AND in the rig exchange) there are already some very good ones.
Congratulations for your purchase.

Elantric

Quote from: jassy on July 14, 2017, 03:35:48 PM
Now try the amazing amount of musical and useful tones you get simply rolling your guitar volume pot up and down. Nothing can compare

same occurs with a Katana 100  - just sayin

jassy

Quote from: Elantric on July 14, 2017, 04:25:59 PM
same occurs with a Katana 100  - just sayin
I have no plans to go for an amp atm, so Im impatient for they to port this new amp tech (katana) to the multi-effects units.

vtgearhead

Quote from: jassy on July 14, 2017, 05:37:09 PM
I have no plans to go for an amp atm, so Im impatient for they to port this new amp tech (katana) to the multi-effects units.

The porting actually went in the other direction.  All indications are that the Boss GT-001/100 sound engine was re-used in Katana.

jassy

Quote from: snhirsch on July 15, 2017, 06:03:03 AM
The porting actually went in the other direction.  All indications are that the Boss GT-001/100 sound engine was re-used in Katana.
Maybe Im wrong but I think to have read that the katana algos where new and superior to the GT ones so were one step ahead.
I have a GP10 and while it has good amps IMO its not very close to the Kemper ones, neither in the dynamic area (i. e. controlling with the volume pot).

vtgearhead

GP-10 != GT-100.  I believe the latter is a newer generation design.  But, I have never used a GT-001/100 so just going by what others have claimed about their sound.  At least one person uses a GT-100 with their Katana in four-cable mode to get more flexibility. 

The Katana power amplifier section (obviously not found in the floor units) has been designed to mimic the characteristics of overdriven tube amplifiers interacting with speakers, so even if the effects are exactly the same as the GT-001/100 that's not the entire story.

whippinpost91850

ENJOY IT, I've had mine 5 yrs and gig with it all the time... There are 1000's of free profiles on the rig exchange... don't forget to down load the free extra profiles from the Kemper site

vtgearhead

I wish I could find someone in my area who owns a Kemper.  Very curious about the device, but no way am I going to make a purchase of that magnitude without having had my hands on one first.

whippinpost91850

Most us dealers like Sweerwater will give you 30 days to try it out

vtgearhead

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on July 16, 2017, 04:04:05 PM
Most us dealers like Sweerwater will give you 30 days to try it out

Yes, I know.  But I'm just old-school enough to feel guilty about leveraging return policies as free trials. 

whippinpost91850

Yes. But with so few local dealers carrying certain products, you just have to :)

vtgearhead

If I can find a stocking Kemper dealer in New England maybe I'll make a drive.  I went through this exact exercise when buying my JTV-69 Variax.  The nearest stocking dealer was in Boston (3.5 hour drive from me).  Made a day trip to GC and ended up buying it after an hour in their demo room.

whippinpost91850

I think you'll like it a lot.. Good luck with finding a dealer with one in stock.  ;D