Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

Started by RicardoLove, March 02, 2011, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jassy

It does not morph between different profiles or effects... 

Elantric

I enjoy the Kemper in the studio

But for live use, I remain content I applied  $600 towards an Axe-FXII+MFC-101 instead of a Kemper remote.

https://shop.kempermusic.us/kemper/profiler-accessories/profiler-remote.html

mbenigni

I admit I haven't actually had to time to watch the demos; I just made assumptions as to how it would work based on what I know about the KPA itself.  I should probably reserve judgement until I know a little more.

Elantric

QuoteI should probably reserve judgement until I know a little more.

True for any new gear or firmware ! Need real world user experience reports prior to purchase or firmware updates.

jassy

Im not saying that this morph feature is not cool, in fact it is! but at first I believed that was possible to morph between profiles and then I realized that it was not the case.

jassy

There are also seems  that there are more things than morph.
New delays effects as mentioned by a guy in the kemper forum:

First day at Namm show. Just wanted to share a few screen shot pics from the Kemper booth. I spent some time playing around with the new delays that I'm told will be part of a future software update. Really diggin what I heard, great inspired delays for soundscape stuff as well as more control on some of the simpler delay types such as the single delay with its flutter and grit controls. Also, a new strobe style tuner and the new option to place delays anywhere in the effects chain. Super cool stuff! It's really great to know that Kemper is continuing to offer cool upgrades and support forthe current profiler hardware.
Enjoy!

http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/26686-Namm-2016-Day-1-New-Kemper-stuff-with-pics/?postID=278001#post278001

Also seems to be possible to use several delays simultaneously and place it in different slots...

Maybe even some new reverb... not sure about that...

scratch17

I spent some time researching the new morphing feature. It is essentially a way to make multiple simultaneous continuous control changes to multiple parameters within a specific profile.

The morphing can be controlled (started, stopped, continuously varied) either by a pedal or a switch (latching or momentary - your choice) on the Kemper remote. There is no word as to whether the switch control is limited to the Kemper remote. They tried that with the looper function, but that feature can be accessed by other controllers now.

So you might vary gain, EQ, intensity of a loaded effect, etc. The process to create the morphing effect seems to be quite simple. Start by loading a profile, with the switch in on or off (up or down with a pedal) position.  Initiate a morphing learn on the KPA. Vary the parameters you want. Save the morph. In the case of the switch you can also save different ramp up and down times for the morph.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Elantric

QuoteI spent some time researching the new morphing feature. It is essentially a way to make multiple simultaneous continuous control changes to multiple parameters within a specific profile.

Here's the Fractal FX-8's 8 scenes with x/y select  - per single preset

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-fx8-multi-effects-pedalboard.php
Use Stompbox Mode on the FX8 for traditional effect "tap dance" switching, or leverage the eight SCENES in each preset to engage pre-defined effect groups from a single switch. Many effects also offer "XY" switching, which gives them two completely different sound settings: imagine dialing in a single drive pedal with both "Overdrive" and "Fuzz" channels, or a reverb with foot-selectable "spring" and "hall" sounds.

Thread on Kemper forum 
Seamless ToneTravelling "morphing" feature.
http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/26675-Kemper-OS-4-Seamless-ToneTravelling/

More new effect features in this thread!
http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/26686-Namm-2016-Day-1-New-
Kemper-stuff-with-pics/?postID=278001#post278001

thebrushwithin

From Don Peterson, on the forum:
'I guess you have to witness the Morph feature first hand to really get the scope of it.
Least of all, it can give you a very customized boosted sound variation. Not just more gain, but affecting Definition, Clarity, Amp Compression, Direct Mix, plus fx Mix values etc. - you can blend between a Phaser and a Flanger, or two Tremolos with different speeds etc.
It is a very 'open' feature that can be used in any number of ways and thanks to it's very quick and intuitive implementation it is a lot of fun to use, too. :)"

That REALLY could be useful, especially with variations from an EXP pedal. Fantastic!!
And stacking the new delays, in 7 slots, (if you want) - let's go crazy!!!! Awesome stuff!!!

thebrushwithin

CK was at first cynical, at many requests for delayed pitch shifting, even asking for examples of its usefullness, many months ago. Then he really does it right! From a Kemper user at the Kemper booth:
"One of the delays sounds like an arpeggiator due to the fact that you can have a different chromatic note at each delay interval...and up to 4 delay intervals."
Wow!!!

mbenigni

Quote from: scratch17 on January 21, 2016, 03:41:26 PM
So you might vary gain, EQ, intensity of a loaded effect, etc. The process to create the morphing effect seems to be quite simple. Start by loading a profile, with the switch in on or off (up or down with a pedal) position.  Initiate a morphing learn on the KPA. Vary the parameters you want. Save the morph. In the case of the switch you can also save different ramp up and down times for the morph.

The most important implication here is that exposes more parameters to the expression pedal(s) than their conventional menu assignments had.  Before 4.0, the Kemper was extremely restrictive in this regard.  So, not what I expected (I too assumed it would allow morphing between two amp profiles) but still very compelling.

Either way, it arrives too late for me.

scratch17

Kemper has indicated that morphing can be initiated by any MIDI controller that can send CC11 (expression) message. So there is no specific requirement for the Kemper Remote to use morphing feature.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Elantric

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on February 08, 2016, 09:52:20 AM
http://nermark.com/reports/NAMM_Winter_2016/NAMM_Winter_2016_3.htm

Modular speakers from Kemper? Yes, and they are light weight too.

Wow these look REALLY interesting.  I imagine they will be very expensive, though.  Have you seen any other information?

Elantric

No other details on these Kemper Speakers

i first saw them last October 2015 at the LA Amp show, and at the time i was told these were custom made strictly for Kemper trade show demos - i do hope they consider adding these to the Kemper product line. 

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Elantric on February 08, 2016, 10:15:04 AM
No other details on these Kemper Speakers

i first saw them last October 2015 at the LA Amp show, and at the time i was told these were custom made strictly for Kemper trade show demos - i do hope they consider adding these to the Kemper product line.

I hope they add them as well 8)

Elantric

Now you can enable the Kemper Profiling Amps Looper without the $500 Kemper Remote

Behringer FCB-1010 with latest EurekaSound EurekaPROM 3.1

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13536.msg125186#msg125186

http://www.eurekasound.com/eurekaprom

The Kemper configuration now includes looper control, & with tuner info displayed on the FCB1010 display.
The Fractal configuration now includes effect state feedback for Mark II, along with tuner info on the FCB1010 display. Also supports up to 512 presets for XL!
Added one new configuration: IO for programmers
Improved wah pedal response and range
Improved LED brightness
Other minor bug fixes

What is the latest EurekaPROM revision?

Revision 3.1.
Here's the EurekaPROM changelog:

Revision 3.1
Added support for effect state feedback for the Fractal Axe series, along with tuner feedback to the FCB1010 7-segment display
Revision 3.0
Added one new configuration: IO for programmers
Updated the PA configuration for the Kemper Profiling Amp to include looper functionality and tuner feedback on the pedal
Updated the FA configuration to expand to 511 presets
Improved wah pedal response and range
Improved LED brightness
Minor bug fixes
Revision 2.0
Added two new configurations
PA for the Kemper Profiling Amp (that has effect state feedback!)
& FA for the Fractal Audio Systems Fractal Axe-FX II
Added a split mode, where pedals 1-5 are stomp boxes, and pedals 6-10 are presets
Improved Favorite Preset mode so that the program change is sent on the pedal press rather than the release
Totally rethought PP Programmable configuration, with
Effect Mode stomp box type selection of toggle (0/127) and/or momentary (127)
The ability to send program changes to all 16 MIDI channels in Presets Mode
The ability to invert LEDs in Effect mode
The ability to offset the Program Change value by +1 to the 7-segment display
Both Note On & Note Off sent in SP mode
Improved wah pedal response
Revision 1.1
Initial release
$10 off when upgrading from previous PROM!

---

Configuration PA: Customized for Kemper Profiling Amps
This video shows you the EurekaPROM-enabled FCB1010 and a Kemper Profiling Amp in action:

Overview

Five Modes, easily switched between using the Up/Down pedals:
New in EurekaPROM3.0!  Effects Mode: Turn individual effects on/off in stompbox-like fashion, with state reflected on the pedal LED. Plus tuner access, with note reflected on FCB1010 7-segment display!
Presets Mode: Easily enter Performances 1-125, Slots 1-5, & Presets 1-128.
Favorite Presets Mode: Allows you to store and recall your 10 favorite presets with the push of a pedal!
New in EurekaPROM3.0!  Specials Mode: Looper, plus change the expression pedal definition to modify 8 effects parameters!
Effects & Presets Mode: Access Effects mode pedals 1-5 & Favorite Presets pedals 6-10 in one layout
Expression Pedals programmed for 10 effects & volume. MIDI activity LED. And waterproof labels!
Modes

Switch between modes with UP/DOWN pedals.

1) EF: Effects

Notes:
Turn Effects on/off!
With 2 MIDI cables connected (FCB MIDI out-to-KPA MIDI in & FCB MIDI in-to-KPA MIDI out), effects state for pedals 1-8 is automatically updated on the pedal LEDs, plus tuner information displayed in FCB1010 7-segment display. *Make sure that the Kemper Profiling Amp is fully powered-up before the EurekaPROM-enabled FCB1010 is powered on.
With 1 MIDI cable connected (FCB MIDI out-to-KPA MIDI in), the LEDs do not automatically update, but they still have state, three in fact: off, on, blip (for unknown effects state).

2) Pr: Presets

Notes:
Enter Performances 1-125, Slots 1 through 5 using pedals 1-7.
Enter Presets 1-128 using pedals 8-10.
Press & hold pedal 10 to engage Instant Send, which will send the preset program change command on value change.

3) FP: Favorite Presets

Notes:
Store 10 of your favorite Presets for 1 press recall!
To store a Preset:
In Pr mode, select preset via the EurekaPROM-enabled FCB1010.
Press  & Hold the UP pedal until the 7-segment display begins to flash FP.
Press the pedal you wish to store the Preset. The 7-segment display will flash when stored.
To recall a Preset, press and release the pedal of your choice.

4) SP: Specials - Expression Pedal CC Assignment

Notes:
Pedals 1-6 control the Kemper looper.
Pedals 7 & 8 set the left expression pedal to Wah & Pitch respectively.
Pedals 9 & 10 set left expression pedal to Delay Mix, Delay Feedback, Reverb Mix, Reverb Time, Gain, and Monitor Volume.

5) EP: Effects & Presets

Notes:
To get to EP mode:
Go to EF mode.
Press & Hold the UP pedal until both the EFfects LED & Favorite Presets LED are both lit.
Pedals 1-5 are from EFfects mode.
Pedals 6-10 are from FP mode.
MIDI Activity LED

In 1-cable mode, the LED is on when MIDI is sent, off otherwise.
In 2-cable mode, the LED is off when MIDI is sent/received, on otherwise.
PA FAQ

What do I need for this setup?
A Kemper Profiling Amp, a Behringer FCB1010, and one or two MIDI cables depending on your preferred mode of operation.

What do you mean "one or two MIDI cables depending on your preferred mode of operation"?
Effects Mode can be operated in either one-cable mode or two-cable mode. In one-cable mode each pedal sends a specific MIDI controller message. In two-cable mode each pedal continues to send a specific MIDI controller message, but pedals 1-8 have the current state of those effect settings reflected on the pedalʼs LED.

whippinpost91850

Kemper 4.0 Public Beta finally available.  Yeah getting ready to backup, download and try. Can't wait to try out morphing feature ;D

jassy

Reading the Kemper forums I reached a post that exactly reflects my opinion of my Kemper, on both sides, what I like and what I do not like, what think you about this?

Quotejzucker wrote:
I disagree completely though I suppose it varies with the profile. Using mbritt's robin ford ODS 100 profile, the amp reacts just about as well as any dumble amp I've ever played through or owned including many of the big name clones. It is much more amp-like in that respect than the axefx. I like the axefx models very much but your description applies way more to axefx than kemper. The kemper seems to be much more amp like in terms of the guitar's volume affecting the tone than any other modeler.

In terms of what I *DON'T* like:
The effects are generally weak, particularly the time based effects
no spring reverb
no multi delays (impossible to get a holdsworth clean sound because of this)
No univibe
non realistic trem
choruses don't compare to axefx choruses
overdrive and fuzz pedals have way too much gain
no zendrive
no editor software

However, in terms of realistically modeling a tube amp, the top of the heap. The real issue it has is not enough CPU horsepower. The single processor just doesn't have the bandwidth to do what axefx does in terms of effects. But in terms of sounding like a real amp, IT DOES THAT REALLY, REALLY WELL!

I would add that the compresor is not very versatile and  pumps the sound easily in a very audible way.

Elantric

Panthersn

Has anyone had any luck using a Voodoo Lab Ground control PRO in Performance mode???  Little confused, I would like to set the Bank up & dwn to scroll thru my amps and 1-4 buttons for Performance slots.  I know there was a Wiki walk-thru at one time but it appears it has been deleted.   I'm still at the Dork level of Midi comprehension, slowly working towards Geek status.  :-\

Elantric

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

Profiler Operating System 4.0.6 Release
This software release introduces Morphing and many other new features and fixes.

Rig Manager revision 1.5.40 is required!

Locking is automatically reset to default during upgrades!

Rigs, Performances, Presets, and Snapshots created under this operating system are only downward compatible to operating system 3.3.0 Build 11973, but not with elder operating systems!

Compared to earlier 4.x Public Beta revisions this operating system introduces the following new fix:

User Interface

fixed: incorrect data in Performance immediately after restart and before first new Performance gets loaded