Ukulele w/ Thin body...how to install 13-pin jack?

Started by dayn, June 30, 2010, 05:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayn

Also, found these links about MIDI mandolins...so scale length should be fine:

http://www.emando.com/builders_active/Ryder.htm

http://a246.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/l_0d16cc2531202ac49c23ff9e0c9b19ad.jpg

And this whole link to a forum mentions similar discussion:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-39053.html

Like these:

Though I love my Ryder (see above), for controlling synths and the modelling VG-8EX processor, I wanted to use some of my other emandos & mandolas to drive this stuff. I built a breakout box which allows me to access individual pins/strings, or combinations of pins/strings, on the 13 pin connector. The longer scale length of my Risa electric mandola (17 inches), allows more expression with regard to string bending - some monophonic patches sound all the better for it. All this from a normal mono instrument jack output, via my little breakout box, and into chosen guitar synth - generally though, I prefer the VG-8EX for it's synth modelling, rather than pitch to midi generated sounds.

...so you don't actually need special pickups to use guitar synths as long as your okay using them monophonically. In practice you can get some huge stacked mono sounds by driving 3 pins on the 13 pin input, and using pitch shifting. eg. horn sounds with root, fifth and octave.

Or:

The 13 pin connector is in the DIN pattern [deutche industrie normal] , so a black box to plug in and out of is certainly possible.

My instrument has divided pickups and an 8 pin connector & cable and a black box with Mono out and preamp for the pickups, and the 13 pin output comes out of the box not the instrument.

now the 5 string and the prior 4 string each at a time, share the same box.
RMC's polydrive 2 they made it for flattop acoustic guitars.

MCK

Quote from: dayn on July 06, 2010, 02:08:30 PM
Great suggestions. I guess I need to figure out how to detatch the pcb from the current Roland 13-pin jack. What I have is a problem not so much with the jackplate, but the little preamp board attached to it that requires a big route. If I can separate that, then any of these cool output jack solutions will work.

Any of you ever de-soldered the preamp board that is attached to the Roland GK-3 internal kit 13-pin output jack?

Actually in that problem lies your solution... Don't detach the PCB from the plug. Simply place the whole thing back in the cavity. Then solder a small length of 13pin cable with a male 13pin at the back of your faceplate and plug that into the Roland 13pin female connected to the PCB. This way you don't need a large cavity either. Just an idea.

dayn

Wow, that is a very interesting approach with the above hardware. I will have to see if there is room for all of that in the current cavity!

MCK

Good luck. Will look forward to seeing the finished product and hopefully hearing some of your recordings too. I bet this will be the first of its kind. All the best.

fokof

Quote from: dayn on July 06, 2010, 08:16:01 AM
Do you have any more pics of the bass jack? Maybe one showing the other side?
On the second photo you see where it is attached to the body , with two small Square head wood screws and the other one under the plug gives the angle. You can see that I've tried different angles .... ;)
This is a Graphtech kit modified with a EMG EQ. I had to mod it so the EQ affects both the 1/4 ouput and the pin 7.

The third photo is another bass I'm doin' right now only this one will be with a Roland GK kit only , no standard pickup or 1/4 output.

I'll take photos of the process and post it later.

gumbo

...at least it makes me feel better that I came up with the same solution as the Global Moderator.... ;D

..I have also used old parallel printer cables to extend wiring at times... :o
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

dayn

Thanks gumbo. I wasn't able to visualize what you were suggesting until the Global moderator put up pics of the parts...grat solution!

Do you have pics of yours so I can see the finished product?

Do you have the receipt so you can pass on the exact part numbers form digikey?

Thanks!

dayn

This link shows a Midi violin and also an external box with Graphtech parts:

http://www.tkinstruments.com/id111.htm

This link shows Midi dulcimers:

http://dulcicaster.com/products.html

gumbo

Digikey part# SD-130J   ;D

Sorry don't have any pics, but just imagine that it ends up looking like the same flanged socket (5-pin) that you started with, except now that you've substituted the centre out of the digikey in-line socket, you now have a 13-pin version!!   :D

...and yes, it IS a bit fiddly, but it does work if you're patient and not too ham-fisted..
...after soldering the connections, I re-inforced the back of the socket (where the metal body of the casing meets the plastic of the insert) with some industrial-grade epoxy.

...this is applied to the "outside" of the assembly...on the bit that is enclosed in the guitar body...careful not to get the stuff on the inside where it might conflict with the outer ring of the 13-pin plug, when it is inserted.... :o

Thanks for the links...interesting instruments!!

...have fun!
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

mooncaine

Quote from: gtrjimmy413 on July 01, 2010, 04:57:23 AM
try mounting it at an angle on the top kinda like a strat jack or on the back like the brian moore guitars. Both options would take some carful craftsmanship but it would be cool.

Ooh, I like that idea. You just reminded me that the VG-99 has an angled 13-pin jack on its front. Of course, makes sense!