Katana - Buffered effects loop

Started by fusionarts, October 25, 2017, 10:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fusionarts

Does the Katana 100 have a buffered effects loop, and if not do I need one? 

admin

Katana FX Loop is buffered on send and return and fed from the DSP by its own D/A and A/ D with programmable gains on send and return and configurable for either series or  parallel signal flow.

as mentioned in the Katana FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19048.0

fusionarts

Thank you. Sorry I missed it in the F.A.Q.

Kottan

Quote from: admsustainiac on October 25, 2017, 11:04:01 PM

Katana FX Loop is buffered on send and return and fed from the DSP by its own D/A and A/ D with programmable gains on send and return and configurable for either series or  parallel signal flow.

as mentioned in the Katana FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19048.0

What are the recommended (default settings?) Levels for send and return? I want to loop a Zoom G3X (serial). Yes I know I can try and listen and try again. But I am uncertain...

admin

Quote from: Kottan on October 26, 2017, 11:39:13 AM
What are the recommended (default settings?) Levels for send and return? I want to loop a Zoom G3X (serial). Yes I know I can try and listen and try again. But I am uncertain...

It will be different for your specific gear and goals

Katana supports instrument level FX and Line Level FX

Priority is you must avoid clipping of input stage of the external FX gear connected to the Katana FX Send
Quote from: 73171, post: 24944828, member: 3242Katana loop question...

If I set the loop to series, and put an EQ pedal in the loop, what level should I set the send and return for unity...no increase or decrease in volume when the EQ pedal is on or off.
(Assuming of course that I don't change the gain/volume knob on the EQ pedal.)

Thanks!
The Katana FX Loop default is Line Level  I/O-

You will want to set the Katana FX loop to Series mode and attenuate the FX Loop to avoid distortion / clipping the EQ pedal in the FX Loop
I would use a patch cable and connect to Katana FX Send and Katana FX Return, then use Katana Boss Tone Studio to reduce the FX Send, and raise the FX return - adjust until no difference is heard when FX Loop is On vs Off  - then connect the EQ pedal to the Katana FX Loop

Kottan

Thank you. I know that I always have to avoid clipping. I know that best Level-Settings of the FX-Loop depend on the external equipment I want to use.

As I wrote, I want to use the Zoom G3X in a serial FX-Loop, especially for alternative Chorus-Sounds. The Zoom G3 is just a standard Multi-Effekt with switchable Input-Settings. I set it on Line-Level-Input when used in a FX-Loop.

Which are the suitablel Input-Output-Settings on the Katana FX-Loop?

If there are no recommended or default settings for this specific application, so I have to try and listen try and listen...?

admin

Quoteso I have to try and listen try and listen...?
Correct!

find an audio VU meter that accommodates Hi- impedance low level Guitar signals
I find it handy to use a smartphone and a cheap Guitar adapter and run an audio level meter app 

Gurbz

Which audio vu meter ios app is that? There's sure a lot of these apps downloadable, which one gives a reliable result?
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

admin

It was called "dB Volume Meter"  but iTunes has been so fractured since IOS 12  - I believe its been removed since its not 64 bit ( mandated by Apple 2 years)

If you are not on an Apple computer  - you can no longer search the iTunes store on Windows PC
- just search for the VU Meter you prefer - there are literally dozens of the for all platforms  -

Although the Apple IOS ones have better chance of delivering dB value close reality - Android typically need calibration reference  to a known valid dB meter 

Gurbz

Hmm. Measuring 95 db guitar with a humbucker and 93 db guitar with a single-coil. Guitar plugged in a sonic port vx.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear