Author Topic: Where are we heading with vguitarforums?  (Read 784 times)

Offline sixeight

Where are we heading with vguitarforums?
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »
Lately I have noticed there is more discussion about programming and diy solutions on vguitarforums and there seems to be fewer patches shared.

Which probably means folks are looking more for solutions than sounds.

OK, I admit. I wasn't doing much programming when I joined, and now I guess I am slowly becoming a total geek  ;D

So is it just my perception or is vguitarforums really changing?

Offline Elantric

Re: Where are we heading with vguitarforums?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
Its more  a reaction to MFGs delivering products that are 80% solutions to our needs, while we must apply DIY/Hacks to achieve the missing 20% .

The Roland/ Boss newest Guitar to MIDI box ( GP-10) shipping without 5 pin MIDI I/O jacks is one example.

And while Im happy with what we offer to members, we never intended this to be only  a patch sharing site

Offline sixeight

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »
And while Im happy with what we offer to members, we never intended this to be only  a patch sharing site

I know. But it was an important reason for me to join.

Offline chrish

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
I know. But it was an important reason for me to join.
What kind of patches are you looking for?

Offline snhirsch

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
I find the extreme geeky stuff much more useful than patches.  Patches tend to be built around someone else's personal playing style and don't necessarily translate to mine when I load them up. 

Personally, I would find a sub-forum or thread on general MI related coding questions to be useful.  Ditto for one dedicated to electronic design and repair.

Offline sec6

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 04:38:55 PM »
The patches tend to come out when a device is released and in its early years.  As we are at about 4 years after the GP-10 was released, the patches are starting to dwindle.  The VG-99 exhibited the same drop in patches after about four years as well. The devices have been mined.  If and when a new 13-pin/vguitar device is released, you will see new patches. 
Les Paul DC Standard (GK Kit), Ibanez RG420GK, Boss GP-10, Ableton 9 Intro, Omnisphere 2, Arturia Synclavier, Arturia VDM

Offline aliensporebomb

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »
I've got new unreleased patches but some of them aren't going to be what most people who look for patches want! 

I just stumble across things sometimes and make a patch.   I'm not done, not even close.
"this is aliensporebomb" - my instrumental debut with the vg99 now on itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/this-is-aliensporebomb/id391880218
More online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

My VG-99 based music projects:
http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

Offline philjynx

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
My tuppence worth. One post by Elantric recommending PiBakery, has lead me down the road to what I've been after: a simple way to control my music gear. In a few weeks (fingers crossed) I'll have built my mkii midi controller. 24 RGB footswitches (optical, not mechanical) & two expression pedals. I'll share some code and features when I've got it ironed. This forum has been the hub of my gizmo development, I would not have heard of the Katana but for vGuitar, it wouldn't have occurred to me to make my first controller for the GR55 either. You never know, I may even find time to play some music someday!
I am playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order.

Offline gumtown

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »
This just came to mind when thinking of an analogy to sharing patches vs learning how to make your own..
I think this originated from a similar quote from somewhere..

"It is best to teach a man how to fish for himself, rather than give him one fish."
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Offline chrish

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
This just came to mind when thinking of an analogy to sharing patches vs learning how to make your own..
I think this originated from a similar quote from somewhere..

"It is best to teach a man how to fish for himself, rather than give him one fish."
I think the quote is;give a man a patch and he plays for a day, teach a man to program the VG 99 and he plays for a lifetime :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:52:46 PM by chrish »

Offline gumtown

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »
That's it !!  ;D
this could be the V-Guitars Forum motto..

give a man a patch and he plays for a day, teach a man to program the VG 99 and he plays for a lifetime
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:22:29 PM by gumtown »
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Offline roachone

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »
I need to learn how to post patches for the GP-10. I have quite I few I need to share. Hopefully soon I'll take the time to learn how.

Offline Elantric

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »

Personally, I would find a sub-forum or thread on general MI related coding questions to be useful.  Ditto for one dedicated to electronic design and repair.

DIY areas
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0

Offline Vade

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 10:23:50 PM »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Offline Kevin M

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 11:54:40 PM »
The patches are cool and appreciated, but the real gold here are in the technical discussions, insights, and links to new bits and bites.

Offline sixeight

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 01:12:53 AM »
What kind of patches are you looking for?

It was nine years ago I joined vguitarforums. So now I'm not particularly looking for patches anymore. The best patches for me are the ones that I made myself.

Now I enjoy being able to join in the technical and programming discussions on this forum.

This forum now has a different focus than earlier. I just wanted to look at the direction it has taken.

But if you have great patches that you have not shared yet, please do so. I always check out new patches.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:35:01 AM by sixeight »

Offline Brak(E)man

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 02:44:22 AM »
Apart from the technical aspects , the patch and knowledge sharing I am happily amazed at the very friendly and helpful not competitive atmosphere this forum have compared to almost every other forum I've visited or been involved in.

the members , moderators , Elantric , thank you all !!

It's simply nice to ask a question here, knowing that I'm not going to be jumped on.
the knowledge and openmindness are at high level !
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Offline rolandvg99

• Rating: 49
  • Roland VG-99, my favourite therapist.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 03:04:41 AM »
Totaly agree with Mr Backman. The fact that the admins led by Steve are so active, knowledgeable and positive is the main reason vguitarforums keeps its positive tone.

Patches are, at least for me, a very small part of this experience. The genuine interest shown by users and posters, in the way they share technical knowledge and solutions to technical challenges with the gear on offer, is for me the main reason to frequent these forums.

A big round of applause to everyone running this ship.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Offline sixeight

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 04:40:09 AM »
I think the quote is;give a man a patch and he plays for a day, teach a man to program the VG 99 and he plays for a lifetime :)

Maybe the quote should be :

Give a man a patch and he plays for a day, teach a man how to program the VG-99 and he will not be able to play longer than 5 minutes without returning to patch editing mid song. ;D

Teach a man how to program an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and he will not touch the guitar for a month.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:01:59 AM by sixeight »

Offline snhirsch

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 07:37:10 AM »
Teach a man how to program an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and he will not touch the guitar for a month.  ;D ;D

<sigh...>  There is great truth in that statement.

Offline GuitarBuilder

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
I like the direction Vguitar Forums has taken!

Offline chrish

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »
So I was doing a gear search on Google and on the second page this showed up.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1799.0

It's the perfect example of what I think 6/8 is getting at.

It has some patches for the VG 99 and then it has instruction on how the sound that the Edge uses is created.

There are links to other website  instruction along with video links for the demo. Kind of the perfect patch thread and it starts with someone asking a question.

The patches themselves, as mentioned before don't alway's sound the same as the setup someone may have at home.

Guitars, amps,speakers, personal technique and all kinds of things influence the sound.

I think a perfect example of this is, I downloaded a GR300 Metheny patch for the VG 99 and it really sounds pretty bad on my setup. However when you listen to the person's demo it sounds pretty good.

So a person really needs the programming knowledge to tweak that patch to their gear.

Just studying how the creator of the patch adjusted the parameters is an education in itself (example; Smash's modulation Matrix on 'Nylon Escapism'). As knowledge and skill are accumulated, pretty soon you're creating your own patches.

And that's what a few of the better music websites out there excel at, education  by example.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:17:33 AM by chrish »

Offline philjynx

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »
Are we necessarily heading anywhere in particular? Like Elantric said we have some gear which doesn't easily do what we want, hence the hacking. At some point the hacking will reach its goal or the makers will fix it for us (I'll not hold my breath), then maybe there'll be more patch swapping. From what I understand, with K2 (not the mountain peak) it isn't functioning well enough for there to be any real point in patch sharing - 'here, put this in your Katana - just don't switch it off!'. It's all good stuff!
I am playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order.

Offline Headless68

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
VGuitar forums has taught me a lot, given me the info and confidence to do build work I would not have attempted myself otherwise .......and its cost me a lot in gear acquisition :-)
Long may it continue

Offline Smash

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 06:40:06 AM »
VGuitar forums has taught me a lot, given me the info and confidence to do build work I would not have attempted myself otherwise .......and its cost me a lot in gear acquisition :-)
Long may it continue

Which I have benefited at least once from due to your buy/try/say goodbye gear cycles lol!  ;D

Brilliant resource which initially - I stress initially - I thought was a bit heavy handed on the moderation/redirection stuff but actually it is totally necessary and has made my "machine gun" searches (you know when you get something in your head and want to know everything about it immediately?) bear fruit. Absolutely Elantric deserves thanks but also Adam Sustainiac who it feels goes a little unnoticed sometimes despite the clear amount of man hours put in.

So in summary - I'm just incredibly thankful a) it's here b) it's well curated by a number of voluntary souls c) nothing "drops off the edge" and so it's the ultimate archive. d) for the contributors - nigh on everything I put into patch creation has something to do with stuff I learned here.

Flavour of the month is always something new - Katana at the moment, but what next? Still exciting times...

Blog