GR55 - MIDI Control w/ FCB1010

Started by kelloggs, October 09, 2017, 09:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelloggs

Hi All
After reading as many posts on fcb1010 controlling GR55 as I can find I still can't get the fcb1010 to control the gr55 in program mode to change patches. I've tried cc 0, cc0,value 32 pc 1 etc but nothing seems to work. I can use fix mode but don't want to use the fcb exclusively for the gr55 and have 10x10 banks ( its also programmed to patch change on pod hd500 and use ableton looper)
Would one of you kind people please put an old guy out of his misery and give me a clue as to exactly what commands I need to put into the fcb1010 etc to make this work? I'm using an uno modified fcb  and the editor software which I can program to work with just about anything else but the GR55. Do you send cc 0, value (1 to whatever) or cc0, value 0 followed by cc0,32? or cc 0 value( bank number), PC number ?
My aim is to control as much as I can with the fcb1010 in order to stack the gr55 and pod HD500 in a studio rack to gain some floor space and appease my wife with less" spaghetti" in the "spare room". married guys will understand that one :)
Any help appreciated.

Elantric

kelloggs

Thanks for the reply and taking the time but as I pointed out I have read and reread that post and it doesn't appear to explain what cc in what form to put into the fcb1010. If someone could just tell me for instance how to program one pedal to select a bank in program mode I'm sure the penny would drop and I'll be off programming the rest. It's so frustrating. Using ossadusts programmer I put in the cc1, 0 value 1 cc2 value 32 or cc1 value 10, no cc2 value, and pc1, nothing. I've tried many variations of the above with no success. I see comments from people saying they use the fcb  to select all kinds of gr55 settings but nothing where it explains what they are using as values to do so in the fcb.

admin

Quoteit doesn't appear to explain what cc in what form to put into the fcb1010.

You must first create the GR-55 Control assignments using the MIDI CC# you desire

read
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4457.msg30166#msg30166

MIDI controller Setup / Debug
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.msg18004#msg18004

whippinpost91850

I used a FCB1010 with my Egnater preamp and GR55 to change patches for about 3 yrs, then my Kemper and GR55.. But I bought a UNO chip. for the FCB it makes programming way easier and there is a free programmer on the Yahoo FCB/UNO  website... Xavier at UNO has an even easier programmer for a small fee.

Call me stupid, but I never could understand the stock FCB1010  programming

kelloggs

Thanks again for the pointers. I've used the uno mod from the first, blowing the chips myself and use both the free and uno programmer. All I need to find out is what you guys are programming into the fcb 1010. From admsustainiacs post it seems I have to assign a cc exclusively for each controller. I was hoping to use the bank up and down programmed to say pedals 1 and 2 then 3,4,5 As per the gr55 1,2,3. Pedals 6 to 10 as direct patch for guitar types , is this possible?

whippinpost91850

Control pedal can not be controlled via MIDI..  I only used my FCB1010 for program change.  so I can't help you there. But If you set it up in pedal effects mode you should be able to assign any cc  to top/bottom pedals.

Elantric

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on October 09, 2017, 04:16:37 PM
Control pedal can not be controlled via MIDI..  I only used my FCB1010 for program change.  so I can't help you there. But If you set it up in pedal effects mode you should be able to assign any cc  to top/bottom pedals.

GR-55 - Complete MIDI Implementation
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3348.msg32426#msg32426

Quote from:  Elantric on November 02, 2011, 07:25:29 PM
So even when there is nothing set as an Assignment, just curious if there is any sysex or NRPN messages that may get sent when a user hits a button or a foot control on the GR-55?

I suppose i'm seeking a work around to perhaps remotely trigger the CTRL pedal using a NRPN MIDI message.

Sure wish we could map these to a controller for pedal steel  / "B Bender" type effects
Gumtown wrote>

Easy enough to toggle the GR-55 CTL pedal
F0 41 10 00 00 53 12 18 00 00 11 01 56 F7 = CTL on
F0 41 10 00 00 53 12 18 00 00 11 00 57 F7 = CTL off
that does the pedal status for CTL pedal function, not sure if that will carry through for assigns using the CTL pedal.
Any GR-55 parameter can be controlled directly via system exclusive sent via GR-55 midi in (or USB),
luckily the CTL pedal status is included.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3348.msg32426#msg32426
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3348.0;attach=10864

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.msg18004#msg18004

whippinpost91850

I was always told here,  there was no way to turn on/off the control pedal on the GR55 via midi ???  Very Interesting

Elantric

whippinpost91850

Wow. I miss-understood somewhere along the line. I stand corrected!!!!!
But can you set the FCB to switch like that?

vtgearhead

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on October 09, 2017, 05:29:09 PM
Wow. I miss-understood somewhere along the line. I stand corrected!!!!!
But can you set the FCB to switch like that?

No, unfortunately.  You'd need something like a Midi Solutions Event Processor to translate PC or CC to sysex. 

Elantric

Quote from: snhirsch on October 09, 2017, 06:42:08 PM
No, unfortunately.  You'd need something like a Midi Solutions Event Processor to translate PC or CC to sysex.

Or have a UNO ROM
http://www.fcb1010.uno/downloads/FCB_UnO_ControlCenter_manual.pdf

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on October 09, 2017, 07:02:01 PM
Or have a UNO ROM
http://www.fcb1010.uno/downloads/FCB_UnO_ControlCenter_manual.pdf

The older Uno chip had limited sysex capability (relatively short length limit), but current version no longer has any.

whippinpost91850

Thanks, I thought that was the case

kelloggs

so for the old timer sysex simpleton in the room  ??? what do I enter into the fcb cc to get a pedal to move bank select up or down?
ie what cc number and what value?
or even what value to select user bank 1 patch 1. I'm looking at the fcb1010 programmer screen attached and have tried for cc number 0, value 0...... cc 0, value 32.......cc10 value3.....cc1 value 1 pc2 etc etc so start me off even simpler, what cc number and value for bank 1 patch 1 on program mode?
come on guys , throw me a lifebelt :)

admin

Your question has many many approaches and solutions ( there is not "one" correct answer)

will have to learn and use the methods here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

MIDI Tutorials
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0

--
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10855.msg78796#msg78796
http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base?product=GR-55&keywords=&stype=any&submit=Search

GR-55: USING THE ASSIGNS
Knowledge Base Id: 23460471

In the GR-55,  you can assign or "TARGET" various parameters to be controlled, such as;  ON/OFF switches for the tones and effects, effects levels, etc.. These targeted parameters can be controlled by what is called a "SOURCE." A Source can be a button, footswitch, or pedal on the GR-55, or even an external pedal on a midi controller for additional control and functionality.

There are 8 available Assignments in each patch in the GR-55. Here's how to setup an assignment. For this example we will setup ASSIGN 1 so that the CTL pedal turns on and off the delay effect:     

1. Choose a patch to edit. 

2.  Press the EDIT button. 

In this view you will see four tabs: TONE, EFFECT, MASTER, SYSTEM. The PAGE [? ?] buttons allow you to access and move between the different tabs.

3. Press the PAGE [? or ?] button to select the MASTER tab.   

Tip: Once you've selected a tab,  you can use the dial and/or  the ??? ? cursor buttons to navigate through the parameters.

4. Turn the dial to highlight the ASSIGN icon and then press ENTER.  In the ASSIGN menu there are eight tabs (numbered 1-8). Each tab is an ASSIGN.

5. Cursor to highlight "SWITCH" and then turn the dial to choose "ON." This turns on  ASSIGN 1.

6. Press cursor down to highlight "TARGET."

7. Turn  the dial to select "DELAY TYPE SWITCH." This is the ON/OFF switch for the delay effect.

8. Press cursor down once to highlight  "TARGET MIN."  By default it should be set to "OFF."  If not, turn the dial to select  "OFF."

9 Press cursor down once to highlight  "TARGET MAX,"  and then turn the dial to select "ON."

The TARGET MIN/MAX settings specify the range of change for the specified TARGET parameter. Depending on the TARGET you chose,  you will see different ranges displayed between the MIN/MAX. Some are as simple as OFF and ON others can be millisecond variation from 5ms-3400ms or 0-100. These variables are dependent on the TARGET.

10. Press cursor down to highlight "SOURCE." As explained previously, the SOURCE is the button, foot switch, pedal, controller or midi CC# that you want to assign to control the parameter you chose for the TARGET. Remember, for our example we are choosing the CTL pedal as our SOURCE and it is controlling the ON/OFF switch of the delay.

11. Turn the dial to select "CTL." 

12. Press cursor down to highlight "SOURCE MODE," and then turn the dial to select "TOGGLE."  There are two choices here:

TOGGLE:  When you press and release the pedal, the Target function will activate and stay activated until you press the pedal again. Thus - "toggling" between On and Off. 

MOMENTARY:  When you  press on the pedal, the Target function will activate and stay activated  for long as you keep your foot presseddown on the pedal. As soon as you release the pedal,  the switch is deactivated. Thus - only engaging the pedal for the "moment" your foot is holding the pedal down.

The last two choices are ACT RANGE LO / ACT RANGE HI and are generally kept at the default range of 0 and 127. An example of wanting to adjust these would be if the throw of the expression pedal physically is too long for you, and you want to shorten the effect range between the heel down and toe forward positions.

13. Press the EXIT button twice to return to the main screen.

To view the function of the new assignment;

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press PAGE [? ?]  to select the EFFECT tab.

3. Press the CTL pedal  to turn the DELAY ON/OFF. Notice the switch (box) in the lower left corner. When it's solid, the delay is on. When it's empty, the delay is off.

If you want to save the new settings to a patch, press the WRITE button twice.

kelloggs

Thank you all for the insightful explanations above but the penny is still in freefall. I get the assignment explanation and will run with that. I see there are a number of ways to control the gr55. I do understand midi and have programmed the FCB1010 for use with a number of L6 pods, Behringer pro , software progs etc but for some reason this gr55 is a stumbling block. When trying to just program a pedal on the FCB1010 to select for example user bank x patch y in program mode do I select the first cc in the fcb editor above as cc0 value x , the second as cc0 value 32, pc1 value y? Or just cc1 as x value y?
Again thank you all for the help and I WILL get it eventually, this gr55 is part of my hand therapy after an operation and it helps to have a goal to aim for ( mine is recreating tubular bells at the moment ) once I've figured out the bank switching in program mode.

Quizzus

You just program patch change, not CC (I am using FCB 1010 PC editor for that)?

kelloggs

i can do this in fix mode but not program mode and I don't want to use all the fcb patches just for the gr55. My inital question was how is this gr55 patch change achieved in program mode as I can't seem to get any response from the gr55 in this mode. I've tried setting up RX PC map bank 0 and bank 1 pc 1-10 with different patches then using fcb1010 pedals with  pc 0 to10 etc , but no response. as soon as i change back to fix mode the response is there but picking the first patches in whatever sound style bank it's in at the time. Very frustrating indeed

Openfieldz

The only thing that i didn't find how it work on my gr-55/fcb-1010 setup, is how to activate the expression pedal! The volume works (the left one) but didn't find how to activate the expression one anybody know how to do it??

martindholmes

I'm using an FCB1010 to control my GR55, and it works perfectly for changing patches. However, I'm also trying to assign the 9 and 10 pedals to turn e.g. an overdrive on and off, and that isn't working quite as I'd like it to.

I've assigned the 10 pedal to send CC28, and configured an assign in the relevant patch to switch the OD MOD on and off. If I set the assign to "toggle", then nothing happens: the pedal doesn't do anything. If I set it to "moment", then it does turn the OD on, but pressing it again doesn't turn it off; I have to press the pedal triggering the original patch to return the patch to its previous state.

Is there a way to make the FCB1010 pedal actually toggle the effect? It would be ideal if it would toggle the effect but then its light would go out and the pedal for the original patch continue to be lit, so I can see which patch I'm on, but I accept that's probably not doable. But it would be nice if I could get it to actually toggle. What am I missing?

gumtown

I don't know much of the FCB1010 internal settings, but for the cc# send you ideally want to send cc#28 with a value of 127 for effect "on" and cc#28 with a value of 0 for "off". (FCB1010 toggled, with the GR-55 assign set to momentary)
Or if the FCB1010 can do a toggled action, then send a value of 127 with pedal pressed and a value of 0 when released (and GR-55 assign set to toggle).

If the cc#28 value does not change, the GR-55 is going to see the message as "was received once but nothing changed since last time"
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

martindholmes

@gumtown Thanks so much. That was exactly what I needed to know. Works perfectly!