Roland SD50 - Mobile Studio Canvas Wav / MIDI Player, Audio Interface,

Started by Elantric, August 24, 2017, 04:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://www.roland.com/global/products/mobile_studio_canvas/

The Mobile Studio Canvas is the new solution package for music production from Cakewalk. The Mobile Studio Canvas includes the Roland SD-50 Sound Module and Cakewalk's SONAR 8.5 LE DAW Software, it is ideal for a wide range of users, including musicians and educators looking for a great, general purpose sound source, karaoke and bar DJs, hobbyists and non-musicians who need portable MP3 and SMF playback, and any musician who needs instrument accompaniment for live sets.

Compact, portable, USB bus-powered audio and MIDI solution perfect for laptop and mobile use
128 polyphony, 1,125 GM2/GS/SD-50 Solo Tones and 32 drum sets
Features SD-50 Solo Tones including Shakuhachi, Trombone, and Violin
2-in/2-out, 24-bit/44.1 kHz audio interface with XLR inputs, phantom power, Hi-Z input, 1x1 MIDI interface, and V-LINK support
Built-in hardware DSP FX for Reverb, Chorus, and Mastering
USB memory drive for quick playback of MP3/WAV/AIFF/MIDI files
Enhanced Transport Controls for file playback including the ability to change keys, tempos, A/B Loop, Repeat, Center Cancel (for Karaoke) and more
Powered by AC Adaptor, USB bus power, or batteries
Compatible with Windows and Mac computers — Includes SONAR 8.5 LE recording software (Windows only)
Superb Sounds Designed by Roland

The included Roland SD-50 sound module will be your go to sound source, no matter what style of music you are performing or producing. The result of over 30 years of Roland synthesizer and sound module development, the Roland Mobile Studio Canvas provides 1,125 total sounds with up to 128 voice polyphony, including GM2, GS and three of Roland's hyper-realistic Solo Tones, including Shakuhachi, Violin, and Trombone, as well as 32 drum sets; plus built-in hardware DSP FX for Reverb, Chorus, and Mastering.
Audio & MIDI Interface

Furthering its offering as a complete solution for music production, the Roland Mobile Studio Canvas is also a high quality audio and MIDI interface for Mac and Windows. Capture your ideas with 2-in/2-out performance at 24-bit/44.1 kHz audio quality. Plug your phantom-powered mics into the Roland Mobile Studio Canvas's XLR inputs to record vocals and other instruments, or plug into the Hi-Z input to get superior sound when recording electric guitar or bass. Plus with V-Link support you can add a whole new dimension to your productions through integration with V-Link compatible video hardware.
Versatile File Playback Options

Leave the computer at home and playback your backing tracks or music on the Roland Mobile Studio Canvas. Simply load standard MIDI files or MP3/WAV/AIFF audio onto a USB Memory Drive, plug it in to the Roland Mobile Studio Canvas's USB port, then hit play—it's that easy. Enhanced Transport Controls give you the ability to change keys, tempos, A/B Loop, Repeat, Center Cancel (for Karaoke) and much more. The Mobile Studio Canvas also includes a Play List editor for Mac and Windows.
Studio or Sound Playback on the Go

The compact and portable Roland Mobile Studio Canvas offers the versatility of 3 power supply options, so you can have your music anywhere you want it. Plug into any laptop or netbook for USB bus power, power the Roland Mobile Studio Canvas from 6 AA batteries, or use the included AC Adaptor.
A Complete Studio

The Mobile Studio Canvas includes SONAR LE music production software for Windows. SONAR LE provides easy tools to record, edit, and mix your music (see specifications for more details). The Roland Mobile Studio Canvas also makes a perfect sound module and audio interface for wide variety of software on Mac or PC.

Elantric

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=321750&site_id=1
QuoteOk, bought the SD-50, and thought I would share some experiences.

1.I have sent patch file to PGMusic and they have put in on the website - thanks.

2.Playing standard MIDI files/songs from BIAB - you can choose between CONTEMPORARY (default) and CLASSIC for GM2 sounds - go for CLASSIC. CONTEMPORARY sounds weird (to me) for playing midi files, and the volumes are all strange, and the whole thing sounds muddy. I was getting ready to take the unit back when I tried the CLASSIC setting and hey presto, all was well. Lots of other sounds on the other banks - still playing with all of those. Guitars and sax all a bit weak (as on many synths) but strings / brass / synth sounds all very good and that's what I need (we have live guitars and sax in the band).

3.BIAB midi driver setup is SD-50 MIDI on the input and SD-50 on the output

4.The ability to change keys / tempo on both midi files and MP3s is magic - bung a USB stick in with the songs you want to play, try a song out and if your vocalist doesn't like the key, just change it. I know we keyboard chaps have transpose buttons, and some of us can transpose on the fly, but this is super quick and neat for agreeing in what key you want. Then you can start worrying about actually playing it in that key!

5.For live work I set up a studio set with 16 pre-programmed instruments (you can have up to 3 studio sets) - load the set, and then just change the channel on my midi ctlr keyboard to choose a different instrument, which gives me a very quick change.

6.You can play live from keyboard plus PC or USB stick playing files at same time. When using BIAB on laptop I use Thru channel for keyboard live. Have to juggle a bit with volumes to get balance right, but I just store BIAB songs now with Thru volume at 127, and I can change that from the keyboard as I'm playing.

Hope that all makes sense!! Shout if you need more / disagree or whatever!