RC-300 - Quick help desperately needed on auto quantize function

Started by Bill Hester, August 21, 2017, 10:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Hester

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and also new to my RC-300.  I've read the manual cover to cover, and used the loop station successfully for a number of gigs now.  Overall really delighted with it - definitely a keeper.

I've just noticed one strange piece of behaviour, and I've got a nagging feeling that it may be something to do with the quantize function.  I've read that section in the manual and can't quite get my head around how it's working, so I thought I would reach out to the people who I'm sure will know :)

Here's my basic procedure:

1. I use the same memory location/patch for every song.  Once finished with a song, I just press the three 'stop' buttons and hold to clear the loops, ready for the next song.

2. I'm doing pretty simple stuff (Ed Sheeran etc) - usually using just two or three tracks, and setting up a simple beat plus guitar riff/s plus maybe a couple of vocal lines, one per track.  Obviously the tempo will differ from song to song.  I'm using what I think are the standard settings like loop sync on, so that the first loop I put down is seeming to drive the thing, and later loops conform to that one (and all stay aligned within the context of the song).

3. Mostly it's okay.  However occasionally I notice that the timing around the start and finish of the initial loop gets somehow wonky/glitchy - and this seems to affect other tracks that I later create (leading to an unusable performance).  I appreciate that my timing may not be perfect (it's pretty solid though, I've been performing for 30 years and am also a drummer) however occasionally what the RC300 interprets is noticeably different - much more so that what I played

4. I find myself wondering whether the unit is retaining a calculated BPM from the previous song on that memory location, and using that to mis-quantize the opening loop of the new song...??

I realise this might be totally wrong.  Also it doesn't happen for every song.  I wonder though whether the auto-quantize thing could somehow be switched off, because I sense it's not really doing me any favours.  I just want to feel that I'm 100% responsible for the timing of my loops...

Does that make sense?  I would be immensely grateful for any thoughts or insight on this topic.  I'm guessing that many people on this forum are using the pedal in a similar way to me, and must therefore have experienced some of the same behaviour....?

Many thanks in advance of your help

Warm regards, Bill

nunoj

Hi Bill,

I'm also new on the rc300 and this forum has not been a great help, except for the existing post, it's pretty much dead.

As far as I understand if you use the rhythm it will always auto quantize.

To turn the auto quantize off:
rythm off, loop sync off, tempo off, track length auto/free.

Check this post
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10537.0

So far my challenges are all related to the timing when I hit the pedalboard to record/overdub.

Thanks
NJ

chrish

"So far my challenges are all related to the timing when I hit the pedalboard to record/overdub."

It's been a long time since I've read the manual ( also reading every thread here on the subject you're interested in helps), but I believe the RC 300 allows you to define the number of measures in a song.

That should be effective in controlling Loop timing issues.

There's also an auto record feature so when the input audio hits a certain volume threshold the RC 300 starts recording the loop.

There's also some features where a recorded Loop, track 1,will play until you press the stop button at any point in the loop and then automatically starts the recorded loop on track 2, after track one finishes its Loop.

But like I said it's been a long time since I've read the manual and studied it as I tend to only use the manual now when I need to perform specific task.

So my information may not be accurate, so you may want to read the manual and let me know if I'm correct.

And of course the hard part is practicing timing skills using a metronome. I also like to use a delay pedal to practice timing skills.

I remember I asked  a drummer in a jam band, many years ago, to play along with a metronome and he swore to me that the metronome was defective and it was the metronomes timing that was off, not his. :)