Relocating to Austin, NC, SC FL or NV. Help!!

Started by TailSpin, August 13, 2017, 09:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TailSpin

Friends...I am asking anyone who is familiar with Austin, NC, SC or FL ( tampa) to give me your opinion about these states/cities.

I have been living in NY for 55 years and the time has come.  I am retired and have to keep a close eye on my funds.  I have been to Austin 4 times in the last few months and dig the city but it  is a tad expensive compared to NC, SC, FL & NV.

Need to find a city with a lower cost of living than NYC, warm, lots of musicians.  I have been to Nashville 10 years ago and told I should check that city out as well.  I am open to checking out any city that you recommend.

Thanks for any input.

Peace

BobbyD

Brak(E)man

Asheville NC has lots of musicians and music.
Not expensive , very low cost of living compared to NYC, beautiful surroundings.
Austin the same but more expensive.
(The culturel climate are almost the same.)

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Kevin M

I live in Austin and love it. Great scenery, night life, and still plenty of eclectic places left. Housing here is a touch high, but nowhere near California. What I've seen of the Carolinas looks pretty spectacular, though.

Paresh

just a thought: i grew up in upstate NY & then spent 12 years in Fla...I got cooked from the heat/humidity. You might consider visiting in July or Aug just to see if it suits you.
paresh

OldGuitarDude

Quote from: Paresh on August 13, 2017, 10:57:38 AM
just a thought: i grew up in upstate NY & then spent 12 years in Fla...I got cooked from the heat/humidity. You might consider visiting in July or Aug just to see if it suits you.

+1 on the FL heat and humidity. Most of the smaller venues have an outdoor "tiki bar" where the musicians end up playing. Friday night was hot and humid, hands sticking to the neck of my guitar (did I mention the electronics?). Today's temp was 98(F) in the sun. Slightly less in the shade! By October it starts to improve.

TailSpin

Quote from: Brak(E)man on August 13, 2017, 10:00:29 AM
Asheville NC has lots of musicians and music.
Not expensive , very low cost of living compared to NYC, beautiful surroundings.
Austin the same but more expensive.
(The culturel climate are almost the same.)

I heard Ashville is nice.  I am heading to AZ next week because cost of living and is low like NC.  AZ is HOT but I am told  if you have a pool in your backyard, summer is doable.  A nice house with Pool can be had for $225,000.  I just hope there is a decent music scene in the phoenix/scottsdale area.  I gave up on FL & Austin.  Austin was too pricy.  Same type house in Austin was over $100,000 more.  Taxes are low in AZ.  I still need to check out NC.

Thanks