Touchscreen computer for Boss Tone Studio?

Started by DugT, August 08, 2017, 05:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DugT

I searched the 500 pages of this thread but didn't find much about my question. What computer should I get for Boss Tone Studio? I'm thinking I should something with a touchscreen and Windows 10, either a notebook or tablet. Is Boss Tone Studio very touchscreen friendly? Does screen size matter or is bigger better because of small icons? I'm thinking 15" and 1920x1080 resolution should be big enough. I like the idea of a Notebook with a touchscreen because it will have a solid base and a touchscreen should be faster and easier than mouse. Please let me know if I am missing anything. This will only be used in my house because I don't gig.

I have a big windows desktop but it lives too far from where I use the guitar and amp. I have an iPad but the Boss Tone App doesn't work with iPads.

Thanks!

Pete1959

Not sure if this helps but...

I have been using an HP convertible laptop with 14" Touchscreen to control my GT-100 & GP-10 using BTS at the time.
Response seemed OK but greatly prefered using my Logitech wireless trackball with BTS.

Screen resolution is 1366 x 768 which worked well.

DugT

Thanks, Pete.

I'm surprised you prefer a trackball mouse. I tried a trackball for a couple of years and I went back to a regular mouse because it seemed easier and faster. A nice thing about a trackball is you don't need a mouse pad. Do you know why you prefer the track ball?

Another option that doesn't require a mouse pad is a Gyration mouse. It works like a regular mouse but it also works in mid-air as if gyroscopes sense its movement. A problem with it is you have to grip it a certain way and press a button to let it know you want the mid-air utility. It works from 50' away from the computer. I used one for a few years returned to a regular mouse for better video game performance.

Pete1959

The trackball I mention is more of a thumb controlled trackball and not centered as in a traditional design.
Model M570

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570?crid=7

My issue with touchscreens is that I don't find they track as accurately as a mouse. I have been using a trackball for almost 20 years now and like the degree of precision I can get with them.  Also, being a lefty but using a mouse or playing guitar like a right hander makes a difference?

I do use an Acer 22" touchcreen to control my Soundcraft UI wifi mixer. I find the touch screen great for rows of sliders on each channel and tapping MUTE or other functions on the mixer's webpage.

Idgolfguy

I have the original Surface Pro. Works fine.

DugT

Quote from: Pete1959 on August 09, 2017, 05:04:36 AM
The trackball I mention is more of a thumb controlled trackball and not centered as in a traditional design.
Model M570

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570?crid=7

My issue with touchscreens is that I don't find they track as accurately as a mouse. I have been using a trackball for almost 20 years now and like the degree of precision I can get with them.  Also, being a lefty but using a mouse or playing guitar like a right hander makes a difference?

I do use an Acer 22" touchcreen to control my Soundcraft UI wifi mixer. I find the touch screen great for rows of sliders on each channel and tapping MUTE or other functions on the mixer's webpage.

Thanks again, Pete.

I had a similar thumb style trackball. I don't think being a lefty makes much difference. Problems with my right shoulder forced me to mouse with my left hand and it only took a couple of days to feel comfortable with it except for the buttons.

Today I downloaded Boss Tone Studio to my desktop computer and the controls seem a little small, even on my 30" screen. Now I see why a cursor interface could be better than a finger, on a smaller screen especially. Can you zoom in? That would make it easier for touch control. I couldn't zoom in using control scroll.

DugT

Quote from: Idgolfguy on August 09, 2017, 03:28:19 PM
I have the original Surface Pro. Works fine.

That's encouraging. Thanks. Can you zoom in to make it easier to spin a knob, for example, or is that unnecessary?

Also, have you tried using the pen with Boss Tone Studio?

DugT

Another is to get something with a touchscreen and stylus input. I think a stylus would be fast, precise and easy.

admin

Quote from: DugT on August 09, 2017, 03:53:11 PM
Another option is to get something with a touchscreen and stylus input is an option. I think a stylus would be fast, precise and easy.

But a Stylus would probably get lost after the first couple rehearsals gigs

DugT

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 09, 2017, 04:42:45 PM
But a Stylus would probably get lost after the first couple rehearsals gigs

If I liked the stylus option I would leash it to the tablet.

admin

Quote from: DugT on August 09, 2017, 03:50:25 PM
That's encouraging. Thanks. Can you zoom in to make it easier to spin a knob, for example, or is that unnecessary?

Zoom IN/Out on the Display on any windows machine since Win 7

*  hold the Windows key and tap the + key  = Zoom In   
*  hold the Windows key and tap the - key  = Zoom Out   

DugT

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 09, 2017, 05:23:27 PM
Zoom IN/Out on the Display on any windows machine since Win 7

*  hold the Windows key and tap the + key  = Zoom In   
*  hold the Windows key and tap the - key  = Zoom Out   

Wow! I always use Ctrl + Mouse scroll to zoom in or out but it doesn't work on some windows like BST. Thanks for that Windows key hot tip!

admin

Ctrl + Mouse scroll to zoom in or out Only works on web browsers and MS Office apps

The Win key and + key combo for zoom in works with all apps

DugT

Do you use your keyboard much with BTS? I'm thinking my best option is a Surface Pro and I'm wondering if I should get it with a keyboard or not. I think the only use of a keyboard would be to name saved templates but I could voice that in or use the tablets touchpad keyboard. For most things other than BST I will use my Desktop PC with keyboard.

Idgolfguy

DugT

Thanks, Idgolfguy.

Thanks to everyone for your input! Based on everyone's good advice I bought a surface pro 3  and I think it will work really well for my BST situation.

carlb

Hi Steve,

That appears to be a compact, reasonably gig-worthy notebook. Although the price seems a bit high by today's standards? (Maybe not for what it is though?)

I'm looking for an inexpensive Windows notebook to update my MIDX-20, and it would be nice to get something that could easily and reliably brought to gigs also. Although I may never really need to do that: I edit the GP-10 just fine with its display, buttons, and knobs.

Are you somewhat recommending the GPD-Pocket for the above? If so, what are the drivers from your experience?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to be looking for in such a device...
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

Quote from: carlb on January 03, 2019, 02:03:37 PM
Hi Steve,

That appears to be a compact, reasonably gig-worthy notebook. Although the price seems a bit high by today's standards? (Maybe not for what it is though?)

I'm looking for an inexpensive Windows notebook to update my MIDX-20, and it would be nice to get something that could easily and reliably brought to gigs also. Although I may never really need to do that: I edit the GP-10 just fine with its display, buttons, and knobs.

Are you somewhat recommending the GPD-Pocket for the above? If so, what are the drivers from your experience?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to be looking for in such a device...

Not all windows notebooks  / tablets function properly  - or have enough screen resolution  - really need 1920x 1080  as a minimum display resolution to work with the Editors I use.

certainly there are daily deals for much lower cost

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Stream-11-Laptop-11-6-Intel-Celeron-N4000-Intel-UHD-Graphics-600-32GB-eMMC-4GB-SDRAM-Office-365-Personal-1-YR-Jet-Black-11-ah117wm/152221770

- but it may be gamble if it actually works more than a year  - owing to lack of robust design, cut corners, and the ghastly Windows 10 updates   

They have just released a new generation GPD POCKET  - which means many owners of the original version ( like mine) will be selling cheap
https://picclick.com/?q=GPD+POCKET+

With REAPER DAW