Kowbel 4 Pedal MIDI Expression Controller

Started by deterrak, July 14, 2017, 02:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deterrak

I've developed a rock-solid 4 pedal MIDI expression controller. I'd like to get an idea of the interest before I start producing these units in batch.

I developed it specifically for the GR-55 but it will work with any MIDI CC capable device. I've tested with the GR-55, Boss Sy-300, Digitech GPS-7, Rocktron Chameleon, and ART SGX.

Why? I wanted a console that wasn't a kit. Something that gave me the ability to control the GR-55 in an elegant and usable way. I didn't want seven MIDI controllers all over the stage. the pedals need to be close for easy access, but far apart enough so that I don't accidentally hit the wrong one. Plus there were some software and number crunching features that I wanted that the other units didn't have.  more about that on my web site...

Here is a short description of what I've developed.
---
The Kowbel is the ONLY integrated 4 pedal MIDI expression controller on the market. Most modern MIDI equipment like guitar pre-amps and synthesizers supports more than two MIDI expression channels which are sometimes referred to as continuous control / MIDI CC.

The back-story is that our founder wanted a MIDI controller to drive his Roland GR-55 to its potential and could not find a controller on the market that was capable of controlling the guitar distortion grit level, synth 1 & 2 levels, and chorus or reverb levels. Totally programmable the Kowbel give you control over your favorite gear. This is a tool designed by musicians for musicians. Designed specifically to maximize your control over of the Roland GR-55, VG-99, Boss SY-300 and similar units.

The enclosure is constructed to be world-class quality, rugged and designed for live performance with your comfort in mind. Other foot controllers have pedals that are too close together. During a live performance, you can't have mistakes! The Kowbel has big pedals and ample space between them to help prevent accidental overshoot which can be a bummer during a live performance.

For more information:
http://www.kowbel.us/

Drop me a line if you are interested.
Kevin

admin

cOOL!

==
Kowbel Technologies

Kowbel Technologies, the MIDI CC Experts
Our mission is to build the highest quality and most expressive MIDI controller
ever
Introducing the "Kowbel"

The Only 4 Pedal MIDI CC / Expression Controller

The Kowbel is the ONLY integrated 4 pedal MIDI expression controller on the market. Most modern MIDI equipment like guitar pre-amps and synthesizers supports more than two MIDI expression channels which are sometimes referred to as continuous control / MIDI CC.
The back-story is that our founder wanted a MIDI controller to drive his Roland GR-55 to its potential and could not find a controller on the market that was capable of controlling the guitar distortion grit level, synth 1 & 2 levels, and chorus or reverb levels. Totally programmable the Kowbel give you control over your favorite gear. This is a tool designed by musicians for musicians. Designed specifically to maximize your control over of the Roland GR-55, VG-99, Boss SY-300 and similar units.
The enclosure is constructed to be world-class quality, rugged and designed for live performance with your comfort in mind. Other foot controllers have pedals that are too close together. During a live performance, you can't have mistakes! The Kowbel has big pedals and ample space between them to help prevent accidental overshoot which can be a bummer during a live performance.
The Kowbel goes to eleven. To that point, we've placed an eleven directly on the knob. i.e., it's not a matter of power, it always is at eleven. Stay with me and I will explain a bit about the edge the Kowbel gives you. Two points, first is sometimes you might want the flexibility to invert the MIDI signal as an additional secondary signal.  This is "Shadow Channel".

Maximize Your Musical Potential!

Add just the right amount of synth or effect as just the right time. It's all about giving you the control to express your music the way you want to!
As you press the top of the pedal down, the Kowbel converts the pedal's position to a digital MIDI message, increasing the value as you depress the pedal. This behavior is sufficient to affect your synth or pre-amp and is adequate most of the time. There are however certain times that you might want the reverse behavior (pressing the pedal decreases the MIDI value). The shadowTM channel provides this capability by emitting an inverted MIDI message along with the regular non-inverted signal; you get both!

Shadow Chanel

The Kowbel foot controller is the market's first foot controller to offer 4 MIDI CC pedals in a single integrated console. The Kowbel foot controller is fully programmable via a simple to use interface and offers Shadow Channel capability giving you a fifth channel (coupled to pedal #4) that emits an inverted signal for ultimate music control! Shadow channel can be used to phase out one effect as you phase in another. Another use is to detune the roland pitch shift. i.e., higher MIDI values detune more. Perfect for the Roland GR 55, VG 99 and Boss SY 300
Level Up

Level Up is a feature that keeps your mix consistent.
When you change channels on your guitar synth or pre-amp you can find that the new channel has new levels. This behavior can be troubling during a live performance when signal levels matter most.  The Kowbel solves this using "Level Up". Level Up helps you by periodically refreshing the MIDI CC values so that you are never surprised.
Get the most from your Equipment

Explore the possibilities with your existing MIDI capable gear. Bring new life to your Guitar Synths and Digital pre-amps. The Kowbel opens a new dimension of musical control and adds dynamics to your performances and recordings.
Get the right amount of an effect at the right time! Wow your friends and scare the small children. You already bought a guitar to punish your mom. Drive the point home!
Kowbel The Only Prescription!

Everyone likes Cartoons. Checkout our short Kowbel product video!

How to use a Kowbel

Connect it!

Your Kowbel is designed to drive modern MIDI enabled gear that supports MIDI CC. Examples of compatible devices are the Roland GR-55, VG-9 and BOSS SY-300 but any MIDI compatible CC capable device should work.

Use the MIDI interfaces to link the Kowbel to your guitar synth and/or your effects units. If your gear has a MIDI Thru connector you can connect your equipment in tandem.

Use the audio out connectors from your synth and effects units to connect to your favorite amplifier or mixer and 'Bob is your uncle'.
Default Configuration

Your Kowbell comes configured with the following pedal to MIDI mappings:
Pedal #1 -> MIDI CC 64
Pedal #2 -> MIDI CC 65
Pedal #3 -> MIDI CC 66
Pedal #4 -> MIDI CC 67 (shadow 72)
Configure your Equipment to match

Your guitar synth or preamp configuration has to match the configuration in the Kowbel. The Kowbel is fully configurable.
If you own a Roland GR-55 grab a patch or two from our "Learn More" page that matches the default configuration of your brand new Kowbel to get started quick.

Click on the "Learn More" tab; for mobile users, tap the three horizontal lines on the top of this page.

http://www.kowbel.us/learn-more

CodeSmart

Nice work Deterak!
Looks really useful :D
Many times I also prefer to control my GP-10 and GR-55 effects and volume using foot controls, instead of just on/off.

Q1: Can you program the "curve" of your pedals? (LIN/LOG etc). That would be a great thing for many devices.
Q2: Do you program it using the built in display only?

---
Just one thing, it looks you have a "US patent pending" going with this pedal.
I don't know what you have applied for, but it just struck me that my MIDX-20 also has the same functionality as what you call "shadow channels".

In the above example the MIDI stream will be parsed for CC#67 and the value it carries will be reversed (0-127 becomes 127-0) and is then added to the MIDI stream as CC#18. The CC#67 values are untouched. This magic, what you call "shadow channel" can be applied to six individual CC numbers using a MIDX-20.

Perhaps this functionality is also available in other devices...I have no clue. Just wanted you to know.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

vtgearhead

Very interesting, in theory.  But seemingly vaporware at the moment.  Please let us know when you have hardware to demonstrate - or possibly a web site that actually works as claimed (unable to find any active links to further information).

admin

Smash

Looks great! I have 5 expresion pedals on the go via the FC300 (2 internal, 3 external).

Is there anything this can do that fc300 in midi mode couldn't?

I do like your form factor - the fc300 is a monster in size and weight!!

Looks like a great companion for GP10 if USB out was there

vtgearhead

Quote from: admsustainiac on July 15, 2017, 05:04:59 PM
http://www.kowbel.us/

Yes:

Thanks for reading. You made it to the end of this page so you must be interested in getting a Kowbel! The good news is that there is more cool content. On the top of the page there are three links ( or if you are on a mobile device there are horizontal lines) that you can click to see our other pages.

Exactly where are those three links?  That's what I was referring to.

Smash

Click on the three horizontal lines top right

1. Home
2. Learn more (faqs, sample files, photos)
3. Online shop

vtgearhead

Quote from: Smash on July 16, 2017, 08:13:44 AM
Click on the three horizontal lines top right

1. Home
2. Learn more (faqs, sample files, photos)
3. Online shop

Very interesting!  None of those render in Firefox 54.0 (Ubuntu Linux 16.04). 

Update:  Now that I've gone to the dark side and viewed the site with IE10 it turns out more than half the main web page fails to render in Firefox.  Pictures, links to other pages and a functional "Contact Us" are all MIA.

After a few years with reasonably good cross compatibility, I'm noticing more and more sites that do not render or function in FF.  Really annoying.  Last Spring, the PayPal connection for many online vendors stopped working under FF for almost three weeks.  Ditto for LinkedIn, who told me they had never heard of the issue.  Odd how an issue that didn't exist was fixed about a week later.