Radial Key Largo -3-channel Stereo Mixer with 2x2 USB Audio / MIDI Interface

Started by Elantric, June 29, 2017, 02:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.radialeng.com/keylargo.php
http://www.radialeng.com/pdfs/keylargo-smartsheet.pdf

Radial Key Largo Keyboard Mixer with Balanced DI Outs
3-channel Stereo Keyboard Mixer with 2x2 USB Interface, Effects Send/Receive, and Pedal Functionality
Write your review Item ID: KeyLargo
=

$379.99
=
Description
4-channel Keyboard Mixer Cleans Up Your Act and Boosts Creativity
So what's cool about Radial Engineering's Key Largo keyboard mixer? Only everything! Tour tough and super-compact, this mixer gives you dual analog inputs for three keyboards, USB connectivity for your laptop, effects send/receive jacks, two isolated and balanced XLR outs, and effects and sustain footswitches. It can even function as a handy 2 x 2 interface for recording through the USB port.

Jordan Rudess on the KeyLargo
A capable mixer with a tiny footprint
The Radial Key Largo takes up less space than three keyboard pedals, but a lot of power is packed into that small chassis. On the rear panel, left and right analog inputs for three keyboards eliminate the need for multiple DIs. The EFX send/receive jacks let you throw your outboard effects on those vintage keys that don't already have them, and you get two mono outputs for monitors as well as left and right transformer-isolated and balanced XLR main outputs. Controls for the monitor level and main level are conveniently located on the front panel, next to your global EFX Send and EFX Receive level knobs.
Multifunctionality for a simplified setup
The Radial Key Largo sports a stereo volume pedal connection — so there's no need to bring one for each keyboard. The right-side momentary latch footswitch also functions as a sustain pedal, so by making use of the MIDI ports you can control all your keyboards with just one switch! Throw in the left-side EFX on/off footswitch, and it's easy to see why the Key Largo is your new best friend onstage.
2 x 2 USB recording expedites imagination
When inspiration strikes, the Radial Key Largo steps up: You can use it as a 2 x 2 interface for quickly recording ideas, new sounds, or whole songs. The USB connection is great for triggering soft synths too, and there's no need to hook into a separate interface — the Key Largo has it covered.
Radial Engineering Key Largo Features:
Tough and handy with 14-gauge steel chassis and a compact design
Inputs for multiple keyboards eliminates the need for multiple DI boxes onstage
Built-in monitor and main up-front level controls save space and allow for a custom mix
Control all your keyboards' sustain with 1 well-built momentary footswitch
2 x 2 USB recording so you can capture ideas quickly
Tech Specs
Type   Keyboard Mixer
Channels   3
Inputs - Line   6 x 1/4"
Outputs - Main   2 x XLR (main out), 2 x 1/4" (monitor out)
Outputs - Other   1 x 1/4" (sustain pedal)
Send/Return I/O   2 x 1/4" TRS (volume pedal), 2 x 1/4" (send,receive)
USB   1 x Type B
MIDI I/O   In/Out
Power Source   15V DC power supply
Manufacturer Part Number   R800 1427 00

Radial Engineering Key Largo Keyboard Mixer, Performance Pedal, and Balanced DI
The Key-Largo is a unique and powerful device that combines a multi-channel keyboard mixer with the performance attributes of real-time footswitch control!

Designed for stage use, the compact design features three dual ¼" analog inputs for standard performance keyboards along with a USB interface to connect a laptop for use with soft-synths. Each stereo input is equipped with an individual level control for quick onstage adjustments along with an effects loop to interface an external multi-effects device. The effects loop can then be turned on or off using the built-in footswitch to activate an echo or reverb when desired. The effects bus is stereo but may be summed mono when using guitar-style pedals. To add even more fun to the performance, a built-in sustain footswitch lets you connect the Key-Largo to your master keyboard or digital piano using a standard guitar cable, eliminating the need to bring a separate sustain footswitch to the gig!

Features:
Three analog stereo inputs for keyboards
Digital USB connection for laptop soft-synth
On-board sustain and effects loop footswitches
Separate PA and stage monitor outputs

As with all Radial products, the Key-Largo is made tough and sounds great! It features solid 14-gauge steel construction with steel-shafted potentiometers and switches to handle the abuse of being on the road. Inside, a switch-mode power supply elevates the rail voltage to 24 volts for extra headroom to handle the most dynamic digital keyboards and fattest analog synths without fear of overload or distortion. Separate monitor outputs allow the artist to adjust the level on-stage while the XLR main outputs provide a balanced connection to the PA system. The main outputs are transformer isolated to eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops and all outputs are equipped with ground lift switches to further abate noise.

With both USB and MIDI connectivity, the Key-Largo easily integrates with all types of keyboard setups. High quality 24bit/192kHz converters allow playback of the best sample libraries and soft-synths, and also provide the ability to record over USB with excellent audio quality. This means the Key-Largo can also be used as a robust recording interface, ideal for recording tracks when on the road or capturing your live performance.

The Radial Key-Largo... A large wonder in a small box!

Specifications Specs
Audio Circuit Type: Active circuit with audio-grade operational amplifiers
Number of Channels: 3x stereo analog inputs, 1x stereo USB input, 2x stereo analog outputs
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz ±0.5dB
Noise Floor: -91dBu
Clip Level - Input: +12dBu
Clip Level - Output: +24dBu
Maximum Gain - Input to Output: +12dBu
Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.005% @ 1kHz
Input Impedence - Analog Inputs: 20k Ohms
Input Impedence - FX Return: 50k Ohms
Input Impedence - Volume Return: 485k Ohms
Output Impedence - XLR: 300 Ohms
Output Impedence - ¼: 450 Ohms
Output Impedence - FX Send: 1k Ohms
Features
Controls - Boost: Input level Ch 1-3, USB input level, EFX send/receive, Main/monitor output level
Switches: Momentary sustain, Effects on/off, Effects mono/stereo, Ground lift, Sustain closed/open, USB assign
Effects Loop: ¼ send and return jacks
LED Indicators: Large 3mm OD ultra-bright LEDs
General
Power 260mA, 15VDC (center pin positive)
Construction: 14-gauge steel
Finish: Durable Powder Coat
Size (L x W x H): 8.4" x 5" x 1.9" (21.3cm x 12.7cm x 4.8cm)
Weight: 3.25lb (1.47kg)
Shipping Size (L x W x H): 13.3" x 5.1" x 3" (33.7cm x 13cm x 7.6cm)
Shipping Weight: 4.3lb (1.95kg)
FCC Approval: Complies with section 15 of the FCC rules
Conditions: For indoor use at temperatures between +5°C and +40°C
Output Impedence - Volume Send: 300 Ohms

admin

This unit would appear to be perfect for using multiple stereo MFX processors and USB Class Compliant 24 bit @ 96K  USB audio from iPad  / Mac/ Win PC.

Remote stereo volume pedal and Stereo FX insert.

Each I/O point is Stereo

===
http://blog.radialeng.com/recording-magazine-reviews-the-radial-key-largo/

The following is a review by Mike Metlay originally published in the September 2017 issue of Recording Magazine.
http://www.radialeng.com/pdfs/recording-sept-2017-keylargo.pdf

"You see, son, sometimes when a mixer and a stompbox love each other VERY much..."

Radial Engineering is in the business of solving problems in the studio, including some problems that recording musicians didn't know they had. In the case of the Key-Largo™, the problem is one that's been popping up for years and has had a whole bunch of solutions, some better than others—namely, keyboard submixing.

Keyboardists have a special set of needs when it comes to creating submixes for the control room or FOH mixer. Usually they don't want to mess with things like channel EQ or compressors, because tone and dynamics control are built into their keyboards. More often than not, once they set the balance of the various keyboards in the rig, they don't want to mess with it. They have to blend multiple sound sources, including virtual instruments on laptops, as seamlessly as possible. Moreover, with rigs that tend to be cluttered with gear to keep track of, they're always on the lookout for solutions that are compact and stay out of the way. The Key-Largo checks off every one of those boxes, plus a couple of others.

Key Largo Top

And step on it
The Key-Largo is, like most Radial boxes, encased in 14-gauge steel with a tough-as-nails powdercoat finish. It looks like it's designed to survive being stepped on... and that's a good thing, because unlike pretty much every other keyboard mixer ever, the Key-Largo is supposed to be stepped on. That's right, folks—this mixer lives on the floor.

Okay, take a few deep breaths before we go on. We know how you feel, because the idea of a mixer underfoot is enough to make most engineers cringe (at the very least). But if you stop to think about it, the floor under a keyboard rig is a good place for a submixer: it's out of the way, cable runs (both from the keys to the mixer and from the mixer to the stage box or wall panel) are easier, and several foot-based solutions to common problems suggest themselves.

What's in the box
The Key-Largo calls itself an 8-channel mixer, but can actually handle up to 10 channels of input: three stereo keyboards, a stereo effects return, and a stereo feed via USB from a DAW, all
routed to Main and Monitor output pairs with independent level controls. Each of the three stereo channels has a pair of unbalanced 1/4″ TS inputs, and the Effects loop has 1/4″ TRS for Send and Return. The Monitor outputs are 1/4″ TRS balanced, and the Main outputs are balanced XLR. The rear panel is finished off with a pair of 1/4″ TRS stereo inserts, which would usually be dedicated to a stereo volume pedal. Power is provided from an external supply.

On the top panel of the mixer, color-coded channels make navigation easy. Each input channel (three analog and one USB) has Volume and EFX Send pots, followed by an Effects Return pot and the Monitor and Main output levels. Each of the outputs has an optional ground lift switch to eliminate hum, and the Mains are transformer-isolated.

Little "Radial" touches abound. Recessed buttons on the sides of the unit let you choose if the Effects loop is mono or stereo, or if the 24-bit/192 kHz USB interface is in Live mode (output from the computer is converted to analog and treated like every other mixer input) or Recording mode (the Key-Largo acts as a USB stereo recording interface). One stomp switch lets you bypass or engage the Effects loop by switching it out of the circuit after the Return pot. The other stomp switch is an unusual touch—it's a sustain pedal! It's wired to a 1/4″ jack on the side of the Key-Largo, which connects to any keyboard's sustain pedal input with a conventional guitar cable. Another recessed button selects if the pedal is normally open or closed. As a final touch, MIDI In and Out ports offer an easy way to connect a keyboard controller to your DAW without using up an extra USB port on your computer.

In use
Aside from explaining a few small tricks inherent in the hidden switches, the clearly written manual for the Key-Largo is pretty much unneeded to get up and running. In a matter of minutes, I had a MIDI keyboard controlling my DAW and three other synths playing along with it. It took me a while to get used to the idea of having the mixer on the floor... (unfounded) fear of damage aside, I'm used to being able to reach for mixer pots to control levels. On the other hand, every keyboard has a volume knob, and summing everything at or near unity gain works well once you get used to it.

One thing that impressed me right off the bat is how wicked silent the KEY-Largo is. Very often, cheap desktop mixers carry sonic compromises like a high noise floor or digital noise from the USB interface. The Key-Largo delivers all of its audio with nary a hint of hiss or buzz, and it's worth the price of admission just for that. The pots and switches all feel like they'd survive anything a studio gig or live tour could throw at them, and overall sound quality was exceptional. This extended to the USB interface itself; the converters in the Key-Largo are much more than an afterthought and are crystal-clear.

The Radial philosophy that the stage is an electrically messy and noisy place— and needs to be guarded against—is shown again and again on the various solutions it builds into its guitar products,
and carries over very nicely to the keyboard world. Thanks to the Key-Largo's transformer-isolated Mains and the ground lift switches, mixes are no longer beset by weird hums or antenna noise.

Compact and convenient yet reassuringly solid, the Key-Largo did its job neatly and well. When I wanted a headphone cue feed independent of the mains, I just plugged a Y-cable into the Monitor outputs and fed my headphones that way, obtaining plenty of level. That brings us to the "having it on the floor" thing. I found myself loving this when playing live gigs with the Key-Largo; once I got used to setting gains at sound check, dialing in my reverb, and just playing, it was incredibly handy. I could set up in less space with less hassle and far better sound than usual. Two big thumbs up.

In the studio, I quickly settled on having the Key-Largo up on my keyboard stand, next to my laptop. It was nicely compact and good for quick tweaks while tracking, and I didn't miss having the footswitches handy. In fact, the footswitches were the only part of the Key-Largo that I felt left room for improvement. Both clicked loudly when pressed, fine on stage but not fine in a quiet studio near open mics. Also, the Effects switch comes after the Return in the circuit, which is great for safety reasons (no runaway echoes or feedback if your delay pedal gets out of hand) but less musical than placing it before the Send, which would allow echoes and reverb tails to die away after a solo rather than getting chopped off.

Those are small gripes compared to the fantastic overall experience of working with the Key-Largo. It's refreshing when a seemingly "been there, done that" recording situation is given a new treatment, with quickly obvious benefits. If your studio or stage work includes keyboards and virtual instruments, you may find yourself wondering how you got along without the Key-Largo.

admin

New BOSS GT-1000 Guitar Effects Processor

Quote from: hippietim, post: 26405566, member: 10684
I hate that the cab settings are with the outputs.  It means it is a very poor solution for integrating with sounds that should not have a cab simulation - I know this was one of the dealbreakers for [USER=126265]@JiveTurkey[/USER].  So integrating synths and such is going to require using a separate mixer if you also want to use amp models.

I use this to combine GT-1000 + laptop with Fishman Tripleplay + Roland GR-33
Radial Key Largo -3-channel Stereo Mixer with 2x2 USB Audio / MIDI Interface

All Radial Key Largo I/O is Stereo

Quote from: hippietim, post: 26405645, member: 10684A $380 workaround is unappealing.  It also means I can't use any effects on the GT-1000 with outboard gear - like they can't all have the same reverb for instance.
Put an H9 Max in the stereo FX loop on the Key Largo ;)
and shop around - I got a gently used Key Largo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radial-Engineering-Radial-Key-Largo-Keyboard-Mixer-Performance-Pedal-and-DI-Box/173307470767