Roland support referring customers to me ??

Started by gumtown, June 28, 2017, 04:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

I recently got an email from a chap after some midi information on Boss multi effects gear,
which I don't mind at all helping out.

But what I find strange is the chap was referred to me by Roland/Boss Customer Support.

So are they going to put me on the payroll or what?
I will consider work on commission too  ;)

QuoteHello!

Someone I spoke with today at Roland support suggested I contact you.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Hurricane

8)

If nominated I will not run  >:( if elected I will not serve - for free heh heh heh  ;D .

EZ :

HR

mchad

Did Roland give that person your contact details as well?

aliensporebomb

Wow.  That's really interesting.  Did he say specifically what they said?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

drbill

GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

gumtown

Quote from: mchad on June 28, 2017, 06:22:47 PM
Did Roland give that person your contact details as well?
Yes, my email address.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mchad

Quote from: gumtown on June 28, 2017, 09:42:51 PM
Yes, my email address.

That's unacceptable. Especially without consulting you first. They (Roland) owe you.

gumtown

I wouldn't mind if they sent me free product samples,
so I can endorse them with a better informed first hand experience.

An MS-3 and GT-1B both would fit nicely in my mail box.

gumbo

...about three decades ago when I was running a repair & restoration business for a certain make of English car, the local Automobile Association would throw their hands up in despair when one of these things broke down on the road and befuddled their mechanic-in-a-van who was supposed to fix the fault.

They used to just tell the owner that there was nothing they could do as a roadside repair, and got one of their tow-trucks to take it straight to my workshop...totally un-announced..   ..first thing I knew about it was the tow-truck appearing through the gates into my yard, with the disgruntled car owner in the side-seat of the tow-truck cab expecting me to drop everything, diagnose & fix the problem on the spot.

It only finally stopped when I threatened to get the Media involved and expose them for what they were...   ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Scatabrain

This is good for 3 reasons:
- they know we know about and love sneaky amps.
- they know we know about want 5 effects at once
- instead of just saying, no the product doesn't do that they said: unofficially there is this guy doing this thing.

The other way they could handle this is "patch" the amp to not allow this tinkering lest more people find out about the what's insife of the amp. Worse, they could think that their UEX is being corrupted which will lead to user confusion with the product.

My hope is they also aware of other midi efforts going on.

Smash

I think Scatabrain has the right take - to be fair you have hacked their products and unleashed features they obviously didn't want to have available to the great unwashed!

Seriously though, could it just be one of the guys who works for Roland as a day job is on the forum in a non business capacity and is a fan of what you do - and maybe just did this in a "don't tell anyone but" type capacity to help someone out who he might not have otherwise "officially" been unable to?

stratrat

I had the same with my local Roland distributor. I simply suggested they put me on retainer to handle their tech support on guitar devices and the "referrals" dried up overnight.  ;D

chrish

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't vguitarforums been handling Roland's customer tech support service for awhile now? :) the roland guy should have have just suggested that he join the Forum and ask his question here.

imerkat

Sound like an employee is a fan of this site  ;)

gumtown

It was a simple enough question, "does the ME-80 or GT-1 respond to midi patch change over USB?",
Roland support team did not know the answer to that.

You may be right about the Katana,
perhaps Roland support are tired of answering customer queries on how to load "Sneaky Amps"  :D

admin

Quote from: gumtown on June 29, 2017, 01:01:38 PM
It was a simple enough question, "does the ME-80 or GT-1 respond to midi patch change over USB?",
Roland support team did not know the answer to that.

And for those who must know  -the answer is Yes  -  ME-80 & GT-1 do respond to MIDI patch change commands over USB 

vanceg

Roland saying "I know there are some people who are extending the capabilities of our products beyond what we support, you might ask one of them." is one thing, but giving out your email address is, to me, completely inappropriate if they had not contacted you prior to that to get your permission.  That's kinda BS.