multiple editors at same time possible?

Started by Mrchevy, June 15, 2017, 10:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

I would like to use the GR55 editor and GT100 editor running at same time on same laptop. I would like to use the same USB input on laptop. My thought is to use a USB splitter to plug both units into, then, one USB cable from the splitter to one input on laptop, and be able to TAB back and forth between editors so I can work out patches where I use both units together. I would prefer to use Gumtowns editors but not sure if they can both run at same time so i'm willing to use Gummy's GR55 editor and Boss Tone Studio editor for the GT100 if necessary. Will this work? I can work out the splitter and cable thing but want to know about running 2 editors at the same time. Thanks
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

admin

Unlike a Mac, most Roland / Boss gear does not play well on Windows PC's with USB Hubs

But Gumtowns Editors should work  - but run it in this manner:

( must install the Roland / Boss USB Drivers for GT-100 & GR-55

GT-100 >USB Cable#1 > Computer USB 2.0  PortA
GR-55 >USB Cable#2 > Computer USB 2.0  PortB

Mrchevy

I have all available editors and drivers on my laptop. I have used both (separately). Due to limited USBs on laptop, I want to use the USB splitter so I can use both units in the same USB port at same time (without plugging/unplugging cables).I guess what I'm asking is can both editors run at same time AND, run thru the same port of the laptop at same time (windows 7 home premium)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

admin

You might be better off using the 5 pin MIDI connections to the GT-100 and GR-55 and use a multiport MIDI I/O interface

http://motu.com/products/midi/lite

I never buy a Windows laptop with only one USB port

Mrchevy

I have 3 usb ports on my laptop. one is used for my mouse, one for my interface, and one for other (GR55, GT100, keyboard controller). I'm trying to set up a semi permanent set up to avoid switching cables. This for 99% studio use. I have no issues with use or connections to the laptop, I'm just trying to set it up for editing both units at the same time, running 2 editors at the same time, thru the same port so I don't have to keep switching cables back and forth. Also, I don't think you can run the editing thru 5 pin MIDI can you?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Elantric

QuoteI have 3 usb ports on my laptop. one is used for my mouse,

Get a Bluetooth Mouse?

QuoteAlso, I don't think you can run the editing thru 5 pin MIDI can you?

With Gumtown's Editor -  5 pin MIDI I/O works  indeed

Read the GR-55 Floorboard HELP PDF
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=86

on the the target GR-55 & GT-100, you Will need to connect both MIDI IN and MIDI out to the third party multiport MIDI I/O  interface

I bet the Boss Tone Studio for GT-100 also works with 5 pin MIDI I/O (never tried )

Mrchevy

I truly appreciate the alternative options that have been submitted but, haven,t got a direct answer to my original question.

Quote from: Mrchevy on June 15, 2017, 10:39:06 AM
can both editors run at same time on laptop AND, can both units be run into the same usb port of the laptop from a usb hub, at same time? (windows 7 home premium)

^^^^^^^^^^^^ quote slightly edited for clarification ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Elantric

Hopefully gumtown will pipe in with his opinion

But USB hubs are cheap- why not just try it

Hint typically a USB 2.0 powered hub from Belkin or Pluggable is preferred

gumtown

Both editors can be used at the same time concurrently with their respective devices, but the problem is piping the USB through one port into a USB-HUB.

The answer is, I don't know. It depends on the chipset used in the HUB,
I have tried the same using USB midi and a serial-DMX USB device from the same port via a USB HUB.
The first HUB I brought didn't work, but the second one did.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mrchevy

Yes. There are a lot of computers that have 2 female USB plugs built in to them but share the same port, and some have multiple plugs using multiple ports. I just wasn't sure if both editors could operate thru the same port at the same time. A USB hub would allow me to plug in the GR55, GT100, and my keyboard controller, into the hub, then into the 1 USB port of my laptop. This way I'm not constantly switching, plugging and unplugging usb cables. I agree with Elantric that a powered hub may be best. the GR and GT don't really need it but the keyboard is usb powered, so a little extra horsepower never hurt. Thanks everyone for the input. I will grab a powered hub this weekend and see if everything work to plan. will follow up with results.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

Well the results are in. I was able to get this to work with a $15 unpowered usb hub, but not without some aggravations. All on my part. first, I couldn't get the GT100 floorboard to connect. Then I realized that the version I was running on the laptop was from 2014. My how time flies.  ::) I didn't realize I hadn't used the laptop for editing the GT for that long, I had been doing it on the desktop. So I updated to the 2017 version. WEEEEELLL, it still wouldn't recognize the GT100. >:( Well duh! that was before the ver. 2.0 came out and i was trying to run it on ver. 1 driver. So I updated that. Still didn't work  >:( >:( >:( All along checking my usb and midi settings. I found one setting for USB or USB AUTO in the GT. It was set on USB. Set it to USB AUTO and wahla, connection complete and working  :). All this explains why the BOSS TONE STUDIO didn't work either. But havent had the need to reinstall that as Gummies editor is working fine and my weapon of choice anyway. A fine piece of software (both GT and GR editors)  :-* CUDOS AGAIN Gummy!!! Hammer to laptop solution averted.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones