Generic Stratocaster 648mm scale into short 3/4 578mm mod anyone?

Started by starrats, May 13, 2017, 02:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrats

Does anybody with some luthier experience know if it would be possible to make a mod of generic Stratocaster (Line6 Variax Standard in this case) desing. An 648mm scale instrument into short 3/4 578mm 'frankenstein' by swapping neck (if screw holes are in right position) and somehow shifting strings base with saddles that 70mm closer to neck? 70mm long saddle screws as only solution? :/ Is it totally ridiculous idea?

https://www.thomann.de/pl/harley_benton_st_mini_bk.htm?ref=search_rslt_st%2Bmini_328536_0

The point of this modification is to reduce string tension, weight, overall length and use 12gauge strings with wounded g as if traditional 10s gauge.
Inherent lose of 25,5" (or even Gibson 24,75" Gibson) scale classic twang and jangle (sparkle) is a bit exaggerated to me. I imagine comfort of playing as if on an guitar with capo on 3th fret which would be a benefit in that case.

admin

Fender Jaguar is short scale and could be installed on Variax Standard

But he warned it's near impossible to keep in tune if you touch the whammy bar

mooncaine

Try searching for a conversion neck. I think I saw those at Warmoth, but it's possible that they only work with Warmoth bodies. I did some quick browsing on the web and it looks like the best approach is what I saw on a Valley Arts Gibson scale Strat: the fingerboard goes right up to the neck pickup, which looks like it's right at the spot where a 24th fret would be. If you want great Strat neck tone, I think you want the neck pickup there, as close as possible.

So, if you do this mod, expect your pickups to sound warmer because you just moved them, in effect, in relation to the string when you changed the string scale. I think I have that right?