Boss Katana all outputs recording...

Started by BenoA, April 09, 2017, 03:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenoA

Here we go... My latest "humble" contribution to the Katana community. :)

I must stop drinking while I'm doing this... :) Pick your poison and let me know what you think.

Well, another afternoon of experimentation. Are we having fun or what?

Just finished some tests (just for fun). I recorded the following, using the same riff, same preset, same guitar (bridge, then neck PUs). I used my new acquired Sterling by Music Man Cutlass. Hated the low output pickups at first but now they are growing on me.

Here was "my-not-scientific" sequence and as said above, just for fun recording sequence.

Boss Katana Head with:
1) Mini Rectifier cab 1x12" using a Shure SM57 mic;
2) Boss Katana 5" internal speaker using a Shure SM57 mic;
3) USB output direct into Reaper;
4) Phones/rec out to audio interface;
5) Line out to audio interface;
6) Send to audio interface;
7) Send to audio interface + impulse response (Catharsis Fredman 2off-pres5).

Putting the pieces together and will post this soon on Youtube. I was a bit surprised of how it sounded when using an impulse response. :)

Elantric

Thank you thank you thank you

that's the best YouTube video I've seen in a while

Provides valuable incite on the numerous katana audio output connections and the Tone achievable  from all analog outputs on the katana amplifier

Beanow

With all the reverse engineering stuff I haven't gotten around to trying these kinds of things myself. Love seeing this.
For a not intended as scientific video it's pretty comprehensive.

If I had to nitpick I think the best I can come up with is:
- Using delay & reverb would make the FX send record method sound different.
- What about the dry in/out of the USB? Does it sound differently if you record and play back vs going right into the analog input?

But yeah, nitpicking.

The USB out seems pretty usable to me. I doubt my cheap-ass Behringer audio interface will get the same results as the UX2.
On top of this I also have the POD HD500X in 4 cable method setup. Adding even more points where I could record xD

BenoA

Quote from: Elantric on April 09, 2017, 07:04:58 PM
Thank you thank you thank you

that's the best YouTube video I've seen in a while

Provides valuable incite on the numerous katana audio output connections and the Tone achievable  from all analog outputs on the katana amplifier

Thanks Elantric. It's not perfect and I had problems matching the outputs levels but it gives an idea. I have done the same with the neck pickup of the guitar but had no time yesterday to complete the montage.

Quote from: Beanow on April 10, 2017, 03:43:36 AM
With all the reverse engineering stuff I haven't gotten around to trying these kinds of things myself. Love seeing this.
For a not intended as scientific video it's pretty comprehensive.

If I had to nitpick I think the best I can come up with is:
- Using delay & reverb would make the FX send record method sound different.
- What about the dry in/out of the USB? Does it sound differently if you record and play back vs going right into the analog input?

But yeah, nitpicking.

The USB out seems pretty usable to me. I doubt my cheap-ass Behringer audio interface will get the same results as the UX2.
On top of this I also have the POD HD500X in 4 cable method setup. Adding even more points where I could record xD

Thanks Beanow. I learned a lot about my Katana while doing these recordings. For an instance, using the "FX send" as it's located after the preamp won't let use the delay & reverb (I was using chain 2 AFAIK), may be chain 3 would let you use the delay but it would be in front of the preamp in that case, not the best for a delay effect.

When I used the USB output, the Katana was my audio interface, so I was recording digital, not analog.

Beanow

Quote from: BenoA on April 10, 2017, 04:07:23 AM
When I used the USB output, the Katana was my audio interface, so I was recording digital, not analog.

What I meant was, it should give you a USB interface at 2 stages. In front of the signal chain (dry) and at the end (wet, default).
While the wet one refuses to do any DSP on the input you give it and will not output to the speaker(s), the dry one treats it basically as it would treat your analog input plug.

The main usecase for that being in studios where you want to do re-amping. You record the dry guitar playing and have the ability to tweak your amp settings after the fact. Like maybe you want just 2% more gain, or a tiny EQ in front, to get the sound *just right*.

The diagram is of course simplified, as you know depending on the chain setting some effects will go before preamp, but it gives a good general idea.

BenoA

Thanks Beanow. Will have to try that "re-amping" thing sooner or later :-)

admin

Quote from: Beanow on April 10, 2017, 04:48:40 AM
What I meant was, it should give you a USB interface at 2 stages. In front of the signal chain (dry) and at the end (wet, default).
While the wet one refuses to do any DSP on the input you give it and will not output to the speaker(s), the dry one treats it basically as it would treat your analog input plug.

The main usecase for that being in studios where you want to do re-amping. You record the dry guitar playing and have the ability to tweak your amp settings after the fact. Like maybe you want just 2% more gain, or a tiny EQ in front, to get the sound *just right*.

The diagram is of course simplified, as you know depending on the chain setting some effects will go before preamp, but it gives a good general idea.

ALL Katanas function as 24 bit USB audio interfaces

If you read the "README"file inside the Katana USB Driver, it details the available Recording options

[Recording devices]
PRIMARY (KATANA) = Processed Guitar tone with Amp modleing / FX
SECONDARY (KATANA) = Dry Guitar tone
*   If you've specified a different name in the "Sound" settings of the Control Panel, the name you specified will be displayed.

Beanow

Quote from: admsustainiac on April 10, 2017, 09:11:59 AM

This particular screenshot might help me a lot with debugging the audio driver issues on linux. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195223
Fascinating to see it as a 4 channel device in OSX while Windows splits them to two interfaces.

Anyway, I was aware of the features it offers. I was curious about how it sounds, a practical test like in this video for the recording aspects.