SY-300 - Quick note about a useful Hold feature using Ctls 4 and 5

Started by Rhcole, February 28, 2017, 10:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

I discovered that if you have an Osc on Hold and then switch it out with a Ctl pedal, the Hold will reactivate when the Osc is launched again. It also isn't like the Osc was always on (abrupt), the Osc actually re-launches, wihich sounds more organic. When you stop the Osc with a Ctl the tails process through delays and reverbs, which also sounds better.

That means you could have drones or chords that you could bring in and out. Useful.

szilard

I don't understand. I use ctl 4 for hold and it behaves as I would expect. Are you saying you use ctl 4 to hold and ctl 5 to un-hold?

Rhcole

No, sorry. You use another Ctl to turn the Osc on and off, and when you turn it back on it remembers the last Hold. Very useful.

lumena

Thanks for posting this I noticed the behavior you are decribing on the latest blur presets that you posted. That explaination you just posted here helps me to understand what is happening.
Thanks rhcole

gumtown

I do something sort of similar on the GR-55, using a bagpipes patch.
I play a Bb drone note and Hold it with the CTL pedal set to latch Hold.
Then I use the EXP pedal to mix it in with what I am playing, but the PCM bagpipes tone also has pitch bend controlled by the EXP pedal too,
so when the bagpipes droning fades in, the pitch slightly bends back up to '0', just like when real bagpipes are being inflated.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/