Author Topic: Katana - Using the Roland GA-FC Controller  (Read 3110 times)

Offline fificap

Re: Katana - Using the Roland GA-FC Controller
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
Hi,

For information, the expression pedal EV-30 is working with Katana thru GA-FC footswitch. See video at 6:15

But almost expensive that EV-5  >:(
@+
Philippe
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:37:24 AM by fificap »

Offline fificap

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
thanks,

now i have a FV-50H to sell !

Hi,
I've saw this:
http://www.strymon.net/strymon-tech-corner-3-volume-pedal-as-an-expression-pedal/

Can i use this cable to use the FV-50H as an expression pedal onto the GA-FC??
(I'm still looking for a cheap used ev-5 but none available near my place for now).

Thanks
Philippe

Online Elantric

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
Hi,
I've saw this:
http://www.strymon.net/strymon-tech-corner-3-volume-pedal-as-an-expression-pedal/

Can i use this cable to use the FV-50H as an expression pedal onto the GA-FC??
(I'm still looking for a cheap used ev-5 but none available near my place for now).

Thanks
Philippe

The problem with the Strymon instructions above  with Insert Cable  is your FV-50H uses a 500k ohm audio taper pot

The Roland EV-5 uses a 10k ohm Linear taper pot   -and the Boss Katana or Katana = GAFC Foot controller REQUIRES the Expression pedal have a 10K linear Potentiometer wired like this

Hey I'd like to caution everyone about some potential pitfalls connecting non-Roland expression pedals to Roland / Boss Gear.  the Roland FC-300 is expecting a specific resistance(10k linear taper)  to be presented by your expression pedal.  If the pedal that you have differs from the resistance that the Roland expression pedals, then your pedal may not work properly. You may find that moving the pedal from full "heel" to "toe" position only produces a small change in parameter values in teh VG-99/FC-300, or that you get no value change from some portion of the pedal movement.

It is bizarre and highly unfortunate that the FC-300 does not allow you to calibrate it's expression pedal inputs to work with third party devices. In fact, two of my 7 roland pedals were out of whack and even THEY don't work with the FC-300.

Many low cost  Roland / Boss compatible  Expression pedals (equivalent to  Roland EV-5 ) are listed here:

External Expression Pedals / External CTL Pedals
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33.0

and be mindful of where the side "minimum adjust pot" is set !
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:40:08 PM by Elantric »

Offline fificap

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »
Hi,

I just received a Lead Foot LFX-1which is an expression pedal "ev-5 like" with 10K Ohm impedence.

Works perfectly with the GA-FC as expression pedal for Wah, or as volume pedal. It also works fine plugged directly in Katana head 100.

When it's plugged onto GA-FC in expression pedal slot, it act as a volume pedal except if an effect responding to exp pedal (Wah pedal for exemple) is setup as "FX" for the chanel.

The tricky part is that if you plug the pedal in exp slot of GA-FC, having no FX responding to exp pedal, it act as a volume pedal. If you mute the volume with the pedal plugged in exp pedal slot of GA-FC, then shut down the katana. when you power it up again, with the exp pedal still in exp pedal slot of GA-FC, and nothing plugged in volume pedal slot, then you cannot turn back up the volume using the pedal. you have to unplug it from exp pedal slot, and plug it to volume pedal slot to fix the volume level.

About the Lead Foot LFX-1, it's a very good pedal for the price (less than 20 euros from stock-b thomann, else around 24 euros). Not metal but look robust, movements are easy but remain firmly in position. The cable is not removable from the pedal.

@+
Philippe

Blog