Using a GT6 Expression Function

Started by Gluteous, October 05, 2009, 01:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gluteous

Hi folks - just got a VG-99, long term Roland/Boss user.

Quick question, sorry if this is basic (I am new to midi) - wonder if anyone has set up their VG-99 to be controlled by a GT6?  I am trying and can get the patch switching to work but not the expression pedal - it looks like the exp pedal assignment in the VG-99 is for an external exp pedal (plugged into the back of the unit) or alternatively the FC300 exp pedal functions are only for the FC300 - I think.

Can anyone help?  Love the unit, love the sounds - would like to get the controller right without having to buy another controller footswitch - hope you can help.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group Gluteous!  :)

Sorry it took so long to get you a response to your question.

If you can find out what CC# (Continuous Controller number) your GT6 is sending out MIDI all you have to do is assign what you want to control with it to that CC# in the VG-99. Let us know if you need more info.

Gluteous

Thanks Brent,

I feel pretty stupid for asking but as I said I am pretty new to this.

I could find no reference in the GT6 manual for the CC#'s other than what I think are the wrong numbers in the 'Using MIDI' chapter.  The reason I say wrong is because I contacted Roland and they told me another number different than what was made reference to in the manual. 

Using the information on page 84 of the I managed to get it to work - woo hoo!

Now I have contacted them again, to try and establish what are the CC numbers for the ctl switch and the expression pedal sw.  Will need to try and set up the wah function now.  Do you know what these numbers are for the GT6 by any chance?

Again apologies, I am new to this and the manual for the VG-99 is great in some areas and completely confusing in others (in particular for the completely inept).

Another question - and again apologies if this is just plain stupid - can the information regarding which patch is selected by the GT6 from the VG-99, be sent back to the GT6 so that it is displayed on the screen?  Please just ignore if that is just plainly daft.

Thanks for your help.

Brent Flash

No need for apologies, we all go through these learning curves when we buy new gear, that is why we have these forums, to help new owners.

I am sorry to say that I do not know the CC#s for the switches and pedals on the GT6 but one way you can find out what is being sent is to record the MIDI output in a sequencer program. Set it to record and hit the switches and pedals. Then look to see what CC# is recorded.

As for your second question, if you are asking if the GT6 can display the VG-99 patch name, the short answer is no. The FC-300 can only because it communicates with the VG-99 via SYSEX. The GT6 does not have this capability.

Gluteous

Thanks Brent - have learned quite a bit already just looking through the previous threads, so thanks to everyone for that!

Contacted Roland and they state that what I have got out of the GT6 is about as much as I am going to get out of it.  The volume expression pedal and the (sw)-(Switchable) expression pedal use the same CC# apparantly so it cannot do the switchable function that the depression of the footswitch allows on the GT6.

They suggested purchasing the FC-300 (which I think I will once the bank manager/wife agrees), but in the short term I think that an EV-5 plugged into the VG-99 and a duplicate patch assigned with wah (or whatever on) will suffice for the time being.  Then I cann just switch to it and switch back to the previous patch without the wah.  Not what I was after but will do until I get the correct midi footswitch.

Again thanks for all your help only made 3 posts and already feel welcomed - thanks again.

Has anyone else came up against this problem?

Macciza

Quote from: Gluteous on October 07, 2009, 07:51:08 AM
snip
They suggested purchasing the FC-300 (which I think I will once the bank manager/wife agrees), but in the short term I think that an EV-5 plugged into the VG-99 and a duplicate patch assigned with wah (or whatever on) will suffice for the time being.  Then I cann just switch to it and switch back to the previous patch without the wah.  Not what I was after but will do until I get the correct midi footswitch.
Definitely get the FC300 (or a divorce if not allowed!-) . . .
But in the meantime also add a suitable footswitch plugged into the back of the VG and use it to switch the wah - or until you get that use the ctl1/2 on front panel or even the DBeam to switch it on/off. You may find the patch change delay and discontinuity a problem if you are turn wah on off in a song . . .
I still use the backpanel options even with the FC300 plus the options it has . . .
Cheers
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Gluteous

Macciza

Thanks for that - yea popped out and got the EV-5, will have a go with that this weekend in between wedding gig tonight and tomorrow....

Still hoping that someone will come back with the CC#'s for the GT6 - I take on what Brent said but I don't have any sequencer software to try this out on - but thanks for the advice.

Will let you know how I get on - thanks again.

Macciza

Hi
Found a manual for it.
Press [UTILITY] until you reach MIDI - then page across.
You can set Exp, Exp Sw, Ctl etc . .
Hope that makes sense . . .
Cheers
Macciza
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Gluteous

Thanks for the help - have now managed to get the GT6 to succesfully work with the VG-99... almost.

I purchased the EV-5 which seems to be set up with the VG99 to alway control the fx volume.  I have told the VG-99 to accept the ctl pedal on the GT6 (set as latching) to switch on the wah, which it does.  I have then programmed the exp pedal to alter the pedal position on the wah, which it does. 

I know that is does these things because in the fx chain you see it being switched on, and in the wah settings you see the pedal position changing.  What it doesn't do however is alter the sound!

There appears to be a duplicate activity (is it the ev-5 perhaps) and could this be preventing the sound from being activiated.  I have read through the book and looked at other posts within the forum, I am tearing my hair out (and there isn't much of that to talk about).

Any help is very much appreciated!

Brent Flash

It is hard to trouble shoot not being able to see what you see, all I can say is double check that your targets are correct, you are targeting a WAH that is actually in a path being used (Guitar A or B or both). If all else fails post the patch you are trying to make work and I will take a look at it to see if I can see anything. Good luck!

Gluteous

Brent

Thanks for your help.  I can see the Wah in the signal path and it switches it on and off, and I can see the pedal level being changed in the Wah settings, but something is amiss.  I am at work just now and will not get a chance to take a look at it tonight, but I will tomorrow and I will let you know how I get on.

I will embarass myself again and ask, how do I upload the patch? (apologies again for my ineptitude!)

Thanks.

Brett

Brent Flash

Things to check. Are both GUITAR A and B active? If not make sure you are working with the one that is active. If they are both active you need to target both WAH FX in both GUITAR A and B (this is why there are a 1 and 2 for each CONTOL ASSIGN). Make sure the level it up in the WAH parameters.

To save a patch you need to be using the editor. I don't remember if you told me you were using it or not.
These links will help you out.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,1734.0.html
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,1942.0.html

Brent Flash

I just noticed something in your last post. You say you can see the pedal level changing. That should not change, the pedal position should change.

Gluteous

Hi folks,

Sorry for the delay in responding been real busy.

Well, thanks to you both for your help, we have proved Roland wrong and I now have a fully compatible GT6 running all of the required functions on the VG99.  Switchable effects using the exp/sw and the wah on the same.

So no need to purchase the FC-300 (at the moment), my marriage is saved!

Thanks again for your help.