Previous topic - Next topic

RogerVG8EX

Today I was looking for a Roland GK kit and I found this:\

Elantric

GK-KIT-GT3 is "discontinued" -
https://www.roland.com/global/products/gk-kit-bg3/

GK-KIT-BG3 is "discontinued" -
https://www.roland.com/global/products/gk-kit-bg3/

QuoteIt's only the internal GK-3B units which are now out of production.

apparently that is an error

the GK-KIT-BG3  ("a.k.a": Bass GK-3B Internal KIT) remains in production

https://www.roland.com/us/products/gk-kit-bg3/

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GK-KIT-BG_OM.pdf

buy the remaining dealer inventory while you still can

Luckily i already bought a few that i need as spares from Andertons UK

many claim the Fender / Roland GC-1 Strat is next to be officially "discontinued" too - since these have been out of stock for many months 
https://www.roland.com/global/products/gc-1/

Which has triggered suspicions / speculation that the whole Roland GK 13 pin interface is "dead technology"   
Time for a New Injection in 13 Pin Land
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18832.0

BMapson

I just ordered one more for a future project.  Of course, I have to finish the current project before that can be considered.  ;D

I wonder how long they'll continue to produce the external GK3.  If Roland stops all GK production, I also wonder what it means for Godin and other 13-pin guitar producers.  Is there enough market inertia from Antares and others to continue the platform? 

I'd love another connection to continue hex processing into the future.  Ethernet is ubiquitous, cable is cheap, and the cables are easy to make.   I don't see anything else latency free on the horizon, though.

Or, are we really just pumping a drying well here?

jburns

awe thats sad  :(
a healthy reminder to take good care of our gk things.

utensil

I'm sure that the imminent success of the Gt1 will further encourage Roland to abandon this tech and reaffirm they are making the right moves (which commercially they probably are). They seem to be targeting the next generation of guitarist/musician who ironically has little or no knowledge of the techie GK 13 pin world.

I wonder if they have plans to next scrap the external version as well?

gumtown

multi pin connectors are becoming less desirable these days,
this could be the end of "13 pin" as we know it, like the previous 24 pin systems,
but I don't think it is the end of hex pickups.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

I just ordered another install GK3 kit from Andertons. That will give me spare after I'm done with my latest install

RogerVG8EX

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on September 14, 2016, 07:00:30 AM
I just ordered another install GK3 kit from Andertons. That will give me spare after I'm done with my latest install
I'm going to buy 2 guitar kits and probably a bass kit from Thomann. I prefer the hex pickup, the piezos react very different to modeling and with guitar synths and V-guitar systems such as the GR-55 and VG-99, for a better tracking and noise reduction, a subsonic filter is needed.

gumbo

Well, FWIW, I'm NOT about to discontinue building Synth-Linx 13-pin Jacks ...    ::)

...if nothing else, the ability to replace worn-out Roland jacks in years to come, will allow at least some of the hardware to survive to make a noise another day :-*

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

If Andertons UK is out of stock , I suspect November will come and go and as no new GK-KIT-GT3 are being built , nothing will actually be delivered

RogerVG8EX

Quote from:  sec6
Not sure if you will be able to receive a kit from Anderton's as they don't list being in stock until November.  They may never receive stock.  You should email them to verify that they are receiving stock.  As far as Thomann, they won't ship the kits to the U.S. any longer.  For the U.S., the cheapest that I have found in stock is Music 123 on Amazon at $280 dollars. 
That has happened with Thomann too.

HecticArt

Crap.
I'm going to have to looks for a spare.

I have one spare external, but don't want to risk it.

With my luck, I'll buy an extra GT3, and Roland will turn around and announce something much better........
I expect you all to thank me if that happens.  :)

admin

QuoteWith my luck, I'll buy an extra GT3, and Roland will turn around and announce something much better........

They have done this before -
But Could be better - could be worse -

whippinpost91850

Sec6 Thanks I saw that at Andertons.  At the moment I don't even need one, But wanted a spare just in case. Paul

whippinpost91850

Andertons just confirmed they are expecting a shipment of GK3 kits on Oct30th. We'll see

RogerVG8EX

The Roland GK-KIT-BG3 is still available, look for it at Thomann

whippinpost91850

Thanks, But I heard they will not ship to US ???

bassman4d521

I've ordered two of the BG3 kits from Thomann in the past and wanted to get another but they will no longer ship them to the US. 

ADP

Don't forget that there are quite a few members on here from countries in Europe. I, for one, would be happy to help out if anyone wants to order kits from Thomann and have them sent to the US.

mooncaine

Very kind of you to offer.

I'll be traveling soon so will have to think about it after October, but I might accept your kind offer of help some time during the coming year.

CodeSmart

Same here, I can also help. If anyone in US wants the BG3 kit, let me know. I'll forward it without profit. I'm used to shipping stuff. It looks like this thing will be rare as chicken lips very soon.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

whippinpost91850

That's cool.  I may take some one up on that

HecticArt

Amazon still has about 16 of them at $280. I picked up one as a spare.

So we can expect an announcement from Roland that something really awesome will be released in the near future.

You're welcome.

Elantric

QuoteSo we can expect an announcement from Roland that something really awesome will be released in the near future.

Not likely  - there is no benefit of an early announcement  - it leaves dealers in the lurch with "obsolete" inventory.

Instead they will just slowly stop making various existing GK 13 pin devices.

They discontinued the GK4P parallel box back in 2004

In many locales they have already discontinued the US-20 A/B/Y Selector box ( I expect those to cease production in 1-18 months )

And I pointed out that when Boss announced their new Pro Audio cable line at 2016 NAMM, the Roland GK 13 pin cables were missing and well out of site.

https://www.roland.com/us/categories/accessories/cables/

I expect the GR-55 and GP-10 to remain in production at least until late 2017, when I expect at 2018 Musikmesse or NAMM trade show, a new Boss Guitar Synth product line will be introduced to the world in similar fashion as the last time Roland changed the cable type used in their hex pickup guitar synth systems.  It will be a repeat of the last time Roland changed from the 1976 -1988 era 24 pin style to the 1989-2018 era 13 pin style as introduced with the "new" for 1989 GR-50 and GK-2 with GK13 cable 

I suspect in 2018 a new Roland hex pickup with a different 8 pin shielded Cat-6 type RJ-45 cable as a GK-3 replacement   - that coincides with a new hex COSM processor "Boss GP-1" (?). Remember "COSM" is just Roland/Boss speak for "DSP"   

HecticArt

Quote from: Elantric on September 14, 2016, 10:00:12 PM
Not likely  - there is no benefit of an early announcement  - it leaves dealers in the lurch with "obsolete" inventory.

Instead they will just slowly stop making various existing GK 13 pin devices.

They discontinued the GK4P parallel box back in 2004

In many locales they have already discontinued the US-20 A/B/Y Selector box ( I expect those to cease production in 1-18 months )

And I pointed out that when Boss announced their new Pro Audio cable line at 2016 NAMM, the Roland GK 13 pin cables were missing and well out of site.

https://www.roland.com/us/categories/accessories/cables/

I expect the GR-55 and GP-10 to remain in production at least until late 2017, when I expect at 2018 Musikmesse or NAMM trade show, a new Boss Guitar Synth product line will be introduced to the world in similar fashion as the last time Roland changed the cable type used in their hex pickup guitar synth systems.  It will be a repeat of the last time Roland changed from the 1976 -1988 era 24 pin style to the 1989-2018 era 13 pin style as introduced with the "new" for 1989 GR-50 and GK-2 with GK13 cable 

I suspect in 2018 a new Roland hex pickup with a different 8 pin shielded Cat-6 type RJ-45 cable as a GK-3 replacement   - that coincides with a new hex COSM processor "Boss GP-1" (?). Remember "COSM" is just Roland/Boss speak for "DSP"

I trust ya. That's why I check in every day. There's no better place for help, information, and to stay current with the trends than right here.

My joke is that when I wait to buy something new, it never comes out. If I double down and invest in what I've already got, the new killer stuff gets released shortly after I open the box. So I've either taken one for the team, or finally timed my purchases correctly. (Thanks to the folks here on the forum.)
I did recently take advantage of the rebate that was shared here and picked up a spare GR55. Hopefully I'm set for quite some time until something really amazing gets developed.