Time for a New Injection in 13 Pin Land

Started by Rhcole, August 11, 2016, 05:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

Now, I do wonder about the SY-300 stat because it may be less likely users of non 13 pin gear would try to find this site. In other words, you buy a GR-55 and you wonder how to use it. If you are new to 13 pin you might search for sites and most roads lead to us. That's probably less the case for the SY-300, Mel9, etc.

Smash

Quote from: admsustainiac on October 26, 2017, 02:39:40 PM
Based upon new member responses, here are statistics

For every 10 new VGuitarforums members who respond with what gear they use :

* 7 state they use GR-55

* 2 state they use GP-10

* 1 states they use SY-300

only 1 out of 100 new members state they use VG-99 

I admit Im still surprised how popular the GR-55 remains 6 years after being introduced.

1 out if 100 for a commercial disaster that was only produced a couple of years is pretty impressive! How long out of production.

I've yet to find any demo of an SY300 that sounds really good to my ears. Not one. Certainly not as synth like as EHX 9 pedals.

What's the best demo out there?

admin

Quote from: Smash on October 27, 2017, 05:16:46 AM
1 out if 100 for a commercial disaster that was only produced a couple of years is pretty impressive! How long out of production.

I've yet to find any demo of an SY300 that sounds really good to my ears. Not one. Certainly not as synth like as EHX 9 pedals.

The best SY300 patches are here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=191.0

But sadly nobody had time to make MP3 demos of many of these superior SY300 patches
For non SY300 owners lacking ability to audition these  they are invisible and  might as well not exist

Quote1 out if 100 for a commercial disaster that was only produced a couple of years (Roland VG-99) is pretty impressive! How long out of production.

VG-99 was produced between 2007-2011

Not the first time an iconic piece of music gear fell out of favor due to poor sales
https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/the-mysterious-disappearing-les-paul-of-the-1960s

QuoteINTO THE 1960's

Here we are in America, at the dawn of the space race, pre-Fab Four, and music consisted of vocal groups and this new exciting mostly instrumental music called Surf. Les and Gibson's design didn't get these new twangy sounds, and Les Paul's (the man & the guitar) was a victim of the new music and culture sweeping the nation. Sales fell sharply, and Gibson was concerned.

It would take Eric Clapton to revive the popularity of the Les Paul in the mid 60s.It would take Eric Clapton to revive the popularity of the Les Paul in the mid 60s.
There was a new kid in town, and Fender took advantage of the newer generation's affection for flashy colors, radical shapes (for the time), and colors that seemed to be stolen from the hot rods of the day. Gibson, at the time, still built guitars the way they have since the dawn of the century, and their instrument's Old World craftsmanship and association with the Jazz bands of the 1920s-40s made these guitars utterly unappealing to the rocking teens in 1961.

Gibsons were so out of style 1960-1965, that there are routinely reports of used 1959 Les Paul's selling for $150 US in the papers back then. Nowadays, you would be lucky to find a 1959 Les Paul for 1000 times that.

chrish

Quote from: Smash on October 27, 2017, 05:16:46 AM

What's the best demo out there?
https://brakophonic.bandcamp.com/track/good-bye

BackDAWman

The form factor of the GR-55 made it appealing for me and possibly many others. Being able to sit it on the floor and use the foot pedal to crossfade from one sound to another makes it very usable in a live situation. I'm sure you could have done this with VG-99 with external pedals but the GR-55, off the shelf, is ready to go.

alexmcginness

Quote from: BackDAWman on October 28, 2017, 10:30:01 PM
The form factor of the GR-55 made it appealing for me and possibly many others. Being able to sit it on the floor and use the foot pedal to crossfade from one sound to another makes it very usable in a live situation. I'm sure you could have done this with VG-99 with external pedals but the GR-55, off the shelf, is ready to go.

The VG-99s FC-300 give a ton of control over the 99 and allows the 99 to be at waist height so you can tweak it easily while playing. The foot print of the FC 300 is larger to be sure but theres a lot of control there as a trade off. The 99 and the 55 make a great duo. If you cant do the job with those two pedals, then I dont know what else youd need.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

rolandvg99

To me the VG-99 comes in a near perfect package. The fact that I can put it away when on crowded stages and let the FC-300 do the remote job, without risking someone stomping on an audio cable or otherwise interrupt my workflow, is a major plus for trouble free live performance. It's also one of the fastest FX units to tweak without using software or needing to do everything with one knob. I've tried to like the GR-55 so many times, but while it's a great piece of gear its workflow is too slow for my liking. Same goes for my GP-10. The SY-300 is somewhere in the middle, but one of the better units when needing to do thing on the fly.

I sincerely hope for a new unit with enough hands on control, or a wired/wireless optional control surface with real knobs and not another miserable iPad/iPhone APP.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

vanceg

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 29, 2017, 07:41:29 AM

I sincerely hope for a new unit with enough hands on control, or a wired/wireless optional control surface with real knobs and not another miserable iPad/iPhone APP.

Yeah - dedicated remote controller seems highly unlikely to me as the hardware development required is SO much more expensive than simply utilizing the existing hardware and programming environments for iOS or Android.  I'm afraid that we'll end up with a LOT of examples of hardware which is functional long after the control surface (based on current tablets) are not functional or available.  It really just points to the economics of developing and selling a product, and to expected product longevity... after all, in 9 years processors should be much faster, so it's not illogical to conclude that there will be products that are capable of everything today's are and more...so why would you want to keep your old product.  I know - Nothing earthshattering in this assertion...   I should also point out that I don't agree with the concept of making products with short lifespans.... shoot, I own several VG-99's, just so I can keep that tech for a very long while!

vanceg

Quote from: chlorinemist on October 10, 2017, 12:40:54 AM
This will be achievable with the Eventide H9000 and a Cycfi Nu hex pickup. On an epic scale, based on what I've heard from insiders

This combo will be AMAZINGLY powerful.  And/but/also: Even though I have already invested in this exact platform, and plan to invest a great deal of time more into it, I can see the wisdom of developing a system specifically aimed at guitarists with a UI that makes most sense for them, signal routing scheme that makes sense, and fatures a much more simplified, specialized signal routing designed for guitarists.  I'd LOVE to see an advanced version of the VG-99 with hexaphonic processing all the way through the signal chain, guitar-centric direct-oscillator-driving synthesis, and maybe even things like amp modeling.  There is NO doubt whatsoever in my mind that the H9000 will offer a more flexible and customizable solution than ANY Roland product ever, and for those who want some specific "oddball" effects, this will be the very best solution.... but It's also going to be a much more general-purpose device which will require a good bit of dedicated effort to program into one's "dream rig".  I just happen to be one of those folks who's willing to put that time in (NOT implying that this is a "Better" way to go than any other approach - it's just what I happen to be into.  And I suspect a few folks on this list will really be into it too. So far, work with the H9000 has yielded REALLY compelling, exciting results... and I've just barely started to consider taking out the tools which will allow me to begin to scratch the surface!)

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22061.msg159446#msg159446

vimeo.com/resynator/trailer
password: synth

A short cut of the documentary and the Resynator will be at Sound City Studios on November 2, 2017
RSVP here: resynatorRSVP@gmail.com

Wayne Joness is working on a hexaphonic interface for 24 pin guitars for the Resynator
http://www.joness.com/gr300/Resynator_Hexsynator_vintage_analog_synth_musico.htm