Steinberg UR22 mki on Windows 10 and USB 3.0

Started by Dr Tadpole, April 26, 2016, 05:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Tadpole

Hi all,

does anybody have Steinberg UR22 mki? I bought it 1 and a half year ago, and since the beginning I had major problems with random intermittent audio. I could not find any solution for the time being. I know many users had the same problem as it is possible to see on Steinberg forum. And this is I suppose is the reason why they delivered mkii. Unfortunately no support from Steinberg...
I use a laptop with win 8 (upgraded to win 10). I fear the problem could be related to the fact that my PC has only USB 3.0 ports. I am now considering to buy a new one, so my question is: any possible problems related to the availability of only USB 3.0 ports ever experienced with other Audio Interfaces?

cheers

Giorgio

Elantric

Windows10  + USB 3.0 ports  = random pops and crackles, or worse,  regardless of audio interface vendor.

be sure you are using the latest Steinberg Windows driver released March 31 2016
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=95344

read
Windows PC USB 3.0 compatible chipsets for Audio Interfaces
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8562.0

Read what Steinberg says on their own forum:

----

Read why the ASIO and MIDI Drivers need to be rewritten for Windows 10 here
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=83587&start=75

Re: Windows 10 - please do not upgrade! Discussion
Postby sonicstate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm
Ed Doll wrote:
We discovered a serious issue for Audio/MIDI applications on Windows 10. After some time (a few seconds or a few minutes) audio recording or playback will contain noise (drop outs).
Steinberg Cubase 8 application shows this usually after a few seconds.

During our analysis we discovered the following behaviour of Windows 10:
The Windows MMCSS services will get disabled for any audio application when the user interacts with the computer. As a result the audio processing/streaming threads get suddenly the same importance as non time critical programs. Frequent audio drop outs will start to happen. We observed that moving windows and switching between running applications will result in this issue.

We currently work with Microsoft to investigate and hopefully soon resolve the issue.

QuoteYes, now I noticed something similar on my setup. When I start cubase, all runs smooth as long as focus stays on cubase. Then if I switch to another window (like file explorer), and back to cubase, I get spikes even if I just move mouse over the project. Restarting cubase helps. Or opening empty project in parallel, activating it and the reactivating previous project - VST performance meter is back to normal. It is annoyance, I hope it is fixed soon.
Otherwise win10 works great, much smoother than win7 before. Cubase UI is also better, no borders around windows, so you can stack windows to each other without those ugly thick lines. Win10 fells so much better than win7, that I will not go back to win7 although there is above described annoyance.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/product-compatibility-info-regarding-microsoft-windows-10.html

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=83587&sid=db1abfcd58fd724a2dbf4b03f3b8863f&start=175

Okay, it would seem this thread has run its course, so I will lock it. (I started this post before you posted, Roland)

I will leave a quote of what Ed Doll posted elsewhere, wherein he provides a clear explanation that answers the main complaint in this thread.
Ed Doll wrote:
QuoteMichael W Peters wrote:
I have to say that it is extremely disappointing that Steinberg has not been doing effective testing for Windows 10 all along. What was Steinberg waiting for? A heads up after almost two weeks of Windows 10 being out is woefully inadequate. The current Windows 10 build has been out for more than a month. All the Steinies are saying "Thanks for the heads up" and other similar verbiage. I am saying "Why did Steinberg fail to have these issues resolved before July 29th?" We are all paying good money for Nuendo 7. It is a disgrace that Steinberg has not been on top of this issue since the Windows 10 builds were made available for the express purpose of testing. And of course why the surprise with Quick Time? I hope that this will be a quick resolution and not drag on for months as in the past.

It's not that easy... let's start with Quicktime. Version 7.7.7 was released not too far prior to the Windows 10 release and this was the first version which could not be installed on Windows 10. 7.7.6 works just fine. And this is actually a very good example. If we had started Windows 10 tests too early we would have announced compatibility only to take it all back last minute because a newer version/build of Windows (or Quicktime) broke everything again.

So what we did was running a large scale test with what we assumed was the released build of Windows 10 and we found issues. Issues our competitors have to face as well. I am not sure why no one else gave a warning that performance issues could come up but it might be related to the fact that we found something they did not find. There is something wrong with realtime audio operations in Windows 10 and Microsoft is working closley together with us to address this. Not because we screwed up but because there is a bug in the system. These things can happen and as with every other major OS upgrade one should wait before deploying it in a professional and productive environment.
Nuendo 7 works fine on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 so what exactly is it that makes Windows 10 a requirement all of a sudden?

BTW other companies like Avid or Sony (for their Vaio computers) also do not support Windows 10 as yet.

I would like to offer a different point of view. I think that waiting, thoroughly testing the release build and not offering immediate compatibility with the latest and greatest operating system just released is more professional than saying "go for it" and cope with the aftermath later.

Please be patient, both MS and Steinberg are working on it.

Dr Tadpole

Ciao Elantric,

many thanks for the very articulate reply!!!!  ;D Indeed I was not aware of the new drivers available. I have installed the new one, and now the situation improved a lot, although not completely filled.
I am aware about the fact that my PC is not optimized for music, but unfortunately it was not intended to be used this way, but now i have to live with it, and its limitations... same I should say for what concerns the upgrade to Win 10. Now I have to work on the machine to try to fix Cubase, that has started giving me problems too...  ;D

many thanks again for your precious help

cheers

Giorgio