Multiple instances of the same iOS app?

Started by Headless68, March 28, 2016, 01:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

Ok could be a silly question - is there a way to run multiple instances of the same iOS apps - for example using AUM I want multiple versions of bias fx or tone stack running at once

Elantric

Typically not -

but there is another method with Yonac ToneStack  -

i installed the free ToneStack Go - ( its $2.98 today)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tonestack-go/id904057679?mt=8

then during a holiday sale i upgraded  ToneStack Go with the MotherLoads.

Net result is i have two  available Yonac ToneStack 's to run both at once

Elantric

Or plan B

own multiple IOS devices and you can connect them and run them together with a mixer , or iConnectMIDI4+ or iConnectAudio4+

ratbastid

When I'm not playing guitar or chasing a 2-year-old, I'm writing apps for iOS.

I can confirm: if it came from the Apple app store, you can only have one copy of it on your device, and you can only have one instance of it alive at a time.

Headless68

Interesting, so its a restriction from apple - cant see why they would do that, its not stopping them from making any money ?

cunning how Yonac Tone Stack has got around that - I will wait for the next deal on Motherload and max 'go' out

admin

Quotecunning how Yonac Tone Stack has got around that - I will wait for the next deal on Motherload and max 'go' out

can also do this with Jamup
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamup-guitar-amps-multi-effects/id449820506?mt=8

and Jamup Pro
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamup-pro/id454702113?mt=8

and on iPad you can install Amplitube for iPad
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube-for-ipad/id373750924?mt=8

and Amplitube for iPhone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube-free/id373309342?mt=8

= and have two instances of that aswell

bbob

I am able to run both SampleTank and SampleTank Free on my iPad Mini 2 at the same time.

Bob

Headless68

Nice one - have downloaded them too

Thanks

rcf1956

Maybe not multiple instances of the above mentioned apps, but there are a handful of AU effects that do allow multiple instances in AUM etc. I seem to remember reading that the iSem synth app is also AU compatible and can therefore be loaded into multiple slots.

In other words, Apple are no longer placing restrictions on multiple instances in this category of apps; it is now up to the developers to build their apps with Audio Unit Extension support.

Chumly

Kindly s'cuse my ignorance, but would I be correct in assuming multiple instances of the same app would be so you could run dual independent signal paths in real time?  If so I can see the possibilities for guitar modeling, but I am not so sure it would be beneficial for multitimbral synth apps, but perhaps I'm missing something.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

rcf1956

I have been exploring this within AUM lately; sometimes using 4 or even 5 parallel effects channels or chains. I'm more interested in ambient, sometimes glitchy pad sounds than conventional guitar effects so this approach is ideal. I bought the AU capable RP-1 app, hoping to emulate some Holdsworth style UD-Stomp multiple parallel modulated delay pads. Though the app works perfectly well in multiple slots, it is buggy as regards the scaling of the control interface within AUM; some of the controls don't display properly or at all, so I haven't achieved much with it yet.

GovernorSilver

You can indeed run multiple instances of the same app if it can run as an AU (Audio Unit).  AUM is a good choice.

Before AUM a lot of people were using Cubasis for AU hosting.

bbob

Quote from: Chumly on April 03, 2016, 03:32:28 PM
but I am not so sure it would be beneficial for multitimbral synth apps, but perhaps I'm missing something.

For example, with Sampletank for iPad you can only have a 4 part multi and assign 1 midi channel to each part.  So if I am using a Fishman Triple Play equipped guitar, booted up in hardware mode, in Sampletank I can assign midi channels 1 - 4, one each for the E B G and D strings to play an organ sound, and in Sampletank Free assign 2 midi channels, 5 and 6  for the low E and A string to play a bass guitar sound.

Bob

Headless68

I'm still in the learning stage with this setup - the software is rapidly improving but not yet perfect - I have been using AUM as the mix / control hub, it is possible to create some stunning huge sound scapes and sonic experimentation (as well as the 'normal' straight guitar stuff)

Here are the main issues I find so far
> AUM save state capability does not work with all apps - this means the patch or parameter you want does not come back when you select a patch in AUM, instead the app starts with its own last used state

> multiple apps starting up can cause a buzz sound - the only way to clear this in AUM (or audio bus) is to switch the individual output channels off / on or to flip to the app then back to AUM

> sometimes adding another app into your mix drops audio output from one or more of the apps already running - to clear this you just flip to the app, the audio returns, then back to AUM

At the moment this is a minor annoyance for me only because live I'm only playing in a straight guitar band - if I want to take the experimental stuff live I would have to very carefully plan how to apps are prestarted and AUM scenes are constructed to avoid the above issues - for the moment 

rcf1956

Quote from: Headless68 on April 05, 2016, 12:44:59 AM
Here are the main issues I find so far
> AUM save state capability does not work with all apps - this means the patch or parameter you want does not come back when you select a patch in AUM, instead the app starts with its own last used state

> multiple apps starting up can cause a buzz sound - the only way to clear this in AUM (or audio bus) is to switch the individual output channels off / on or to flip to the app then back to AUM

> sometimes adding another app into your mix drops audio output from one or more of the apps already running - to clear this you just flip to the app, the audio returns, then back to AUM

Yes, I have  experienced all these issues in AUM. It is a pity that the state saving does not work properly. It is time consuming loading up the correct patches for all the apps used in some of my large soundscape patches. AUM does at least offer some help here with it's 'Notes' section. In the AUM patch notes, I always list (per channel) the apps used, their correct patches, and each channels level.

The potential for large evolving soundscapes is enormous. I often use FluxFx on a separate channel with a glitchy ambient delay patch. Then I use MidiLFO to very slowly cycle it's AUM channel level up and down, with another LFO sometimes sweeping one of AUM's inbuilt low-pass filters.

If only GrainProc and iDensity were AU apps; multiple channels of granular goodness into some nice reverbs, and/or FluxFx, Samvada etc.  :)

GovernorSilver

You guys need to contact the AUM developer (Kymatica).  He's generally very responsive.  Dude is a true genius among developers but you need to let him know what the problems are, otherwise he won't know what to fix.

Chumly

Quote from: bbob on April 04, 2016, 09:58:41 PM
For example, with Sampletank for iPad you can only have a 4 part multi and assign 1 midi channel to each part.  So if I am using a Fishman Triple Play equipped guitar, booted up in hardware mode, in Sampletank I can assign midi channels 1 - 4, one each for the E B G and D strings to play an organ sound, and in Sampletank Free assign 2 midi channels, 5 and 6  for the low E and A string to play a bass guitar sound.

Bob
Oh I assumed Sampletank was at least six part multitimbral but I guess not then?  I know my Korg Kronos X is at least six part multitimbral (16 Programs comprising a maximum of 32 sounds.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

QuoteOh I assumed Sampletank was at least six part multitimbral but I guess not then?

Sampletank IOS is 4 part

Sampletank 3.0 Desktop 16 part
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11971.msg126852#msg126852

Chumly

Ah well that explains it and much thanks, a bit disappointing but then nothing's perfect. I edited my prior post to note the specs of my Korg (go hardware!)