Boss RC-50 1.02 firmware EEPROM

Started by Autana, September 18, 2015, 08:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autana

Hi, a few weeks ago I bought my RC-50 Loop Station, barely used and in mint in box.  Just today,  I check the firmware by pressing-hold the PHRASE 1 and PHRASE 1 keys while power up. My first surprise, display read  "V.1.02"  "2008/12/15". I had assumed  the only update to date was 1.01, in fact the only one available in Roland/Boss support site for RC-50.
What alarmed me was when the RC-50 entered the TEST mode, I tried to engage it by following the simple instructions on display, and then the test no. 1.NAND, EEPROM, apparently failed, and showed "1. EEPROM ERROR" , and  RC-50 frozen, I turn it on and repeated the test but again same error message out. By skipping the eeprom test,  the rest of test routine did fully well, I must make it clear I tested and worked with my RC-50 using nearly all its modes and features, and till now not had any problems. This error apparently bring out only in the test mode, but my looper still working fine.

Should I worry about the error message? Or is that part of routines only authorized personnel can perform?I am also wondering why Boss/Roland did not announce, as far as I know, the firmware update v.1.02 release for the RC-50 LOOP STATION? does the 1.02 update to fixes old problems, bugs or add new features to RC-50 or it is only as factory matter of internal test functions?
Regards,
Some pic captures :

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

I would check in with Roland Support asap

Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700

Autana

Thank you Elantric,

I post similar  in Canada Tribe Forum, got this quick response from a Roland Support Agent : 

QuoteHello Carlos,

It is not uncommon to have a software version that isn't available for download. Often these revisions contain no new features or bug fixes that benefit the customer and are for internal use only.

The factory test mode you have entered does require some setup first or you may encounter the error you did. Most likely your RC-50 is fine and the eeprom error you encountered is due to the fact that you didn't follow the correct initial setup before going into the factory test mode.
September 18, 2015, 08:40

Thanks.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -