PRIMOVA - GKFX-21 - Enhanced Subsonic Filter with many other features

Started by CodeSmart, July 22, 2015, 03:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

The new GKFX-21 replaces the old GKFX-11 and is ideal for your GR-55.
It improves tracking on guitars with Piezo pickups and allows you to connect a regular guitar to the synth unit. The sound from the new 1/4" input jack can be blended with the sound of the 13-pin Cable (pin7). There's also an output jack allowing you to hi-jack the mixed true guitar signal to SY-300/Amplifiers or recording Equipment before it gets polluted with digital noise. Furthermore, if your guitar doesn't have S1/S2 buttons you may connect external dual footswitches to the S1/S2 jack.

GKFX-21 Highlights:
- Powered by Synth unit. Pure analog.
- 13 GK Hex input passing through a SUBSONIC FILTER (2x50, 2x75, 2x100 Hz) to the 13-pin Hex output connector.
- 1/4" INPUT JACK. Allows you to: Connect a regular guitar to a GR-55, use the two-cable method to get better harmonics by routing regular pickups outside the 13-pin Cable, or allows you to mix Piezo signal with Magnetic pickup signal (Moog guitars etc.).
- VOLUME KNOBS: One for the guitar signal through the 13-pin Cable and one for the signal coming from the 1/4" input jack. Each signal can be amplified x2 (6dB) when knob is at maximum position.
- "MIX OUT" OUTPUT JACK. This signal is free from digital noise and can be routed to SY-300, amplifiers or recording equipment.
- S1/S2 JACK - If you guitar doesn't have S1/S2 buttons, a dual momentary foot switch may be connected here.

You may buy the board without enclosure. Price and details will be published soon.

Layout:

Prototype:

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

CodeSmart

Status: expecting painted enclosures next week, then time for screen print.

Arkku

Is the enclosure still going to be the lovely metallic red that was shown in the GKFX-11 thread earlier?

CodeSmart

Quote from: Arkku on August 13, 2015, 07:45:00 AM
Is the enclosure still going to be the lovely metallic red that was shown in the GKFX-11 thread earlier?
No, but that is my favorite color, but because someone here said he wanted GP-10 yellow so then it went yellow metallic. If you have said this earlier it would have been that dark lovely red with with white print. I listen and adopt and try to pickup ideas. The only single input I got was "yellow". That's a remainder for the future. Talk to me and I'll listen.

But regardless color it's a great thing ;D I've just completed soldering ten boards with all jacks and pots. Tried both Roland FS-6 and FS-7 with the new S1/S2 control jack and the Mix out to amp. and the New Guitar input and everything works just fine.

This was the red color I had in mind  :P  (if I ever complete the GKMX-33 project, it will definitively be this shade of dark red metallic).

Jim Williams

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

whippinpost91850

CodeSmart

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 14, 2015, 08:02:35 AM
I like the color and you do such awesome work
You are very kind. Thank you!

I've instead spent a few nights soldering the first 10 units.
They won't last long but I'll do more as components drop in. They all long for a nice housing and a new gentle owner.
Herrn Gundy Keller is getting the first!

To get in line (there's currently 15 waiting) e-mail sound@primova.se
25 enclosures are being painted. That's the most I will do. I'll write a short User's Manual soon.

Due to the added amount of hand-soldering and complexity with pots and connectors (compared to the old GKFX-11) I've raised the price to $120USD.
Included in that price is 1-meter high quality patch GK Cable.

The new GKFX-21 replaces the old GKFX-11 and is ideal for your GR-55.
It improves tracking (especially guitars with Piezo pickups) and allows you to connect a regular guitar to the synth unit. The sound from the new 1/4" input jack can be blended with the sound of the 13-pin Cable (pin7). There's also an output jack allowing you to hi-jack the mixed true guitar signal to SY-300/Amplifiers or recording Equipment before it gets polluted with digital noise. Furthermore, if your guitar doesn't have S1/S2 buttons you may connect external dual footswitches to the S1/S2 jack.

GKFX-21 Highlights:
- Powered by Synth unit. Pure analog.
- 13 GK Hex input passing through a SUBSONIC FILTER (2x50, 2x75, 2x100 Hz) to the 13-pin Hex output connector.
- 1/4" INPUT JACK. Allows you to: Connect a regular guitar to a GR-55, use the two-cable method to get better harmonics by routing regular pickups outside the 13-pin Cable, or allows you to mix Piezo signal with Magnetic pickup signal (Moog guitars etc.).
- VOLUME KNOBS: One for the guitar signal through the 13-pin Cable and one for the signal coming from the 1/4" input jack. Each signal can be amplified x2 (6dB) when knob is at maximum position.
- "MIX OUT" OUTPUT JACK. This signal is free from digital noise and can be routed to SY-300, amplifiers or recording equipment.
- S1/S2 JACK - If you guitar doesn't have S1/S2 buttons, a dual momentary foot switch may be connected here (Roland FS-6, FS-7 or compatible).

Arkku

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 13, 2015, 03:06:04 PM
No, but that is my favorite color, but because someone here said he wanted GP-10 yellow so then it went yellow metallic. If you have said this earlier it would have been that dark lovely red with with white print. I listen and adopt and try to pickup ideas. The only single input I got was "yellow". That's a remainder for the future. Talk to me and I'll listen.

To be fair, I did say that I liked the red colour in the GKFX-11 thread:

Quote from: Arkku on July 05, 2015, 08:33:18 AM
I'm liking the new red colour

(and in that thread the search for "yellow" does not find any results after the red colour was shown)

CodeSmart

Quote from: Arkku on August 14, 2015, 02:42:44 PM
To be fair, I did say that I liked the red colour in the GKFX-11 thread:
(and in that thread the search for "yellow" does not find any results after the red colour was shown)

Checked and the yellow request came in by the mail box, and yes you are right you did say you liked the red. Again...sorry,

But yellow,it is. He has already done most of his job.
When he receives the primed enclosures he paints a filler, then a solid yellow layer, then the metallic layer, then a layer of clear coat, them we send it for screen print and finally he puts on a last layer of clear coat.

Sec-Def

CodeSmart

Quote from: Sec-Def on August 18, 2015, 01:24:03 PM
I'm guessing there's no market for bass version of this.  :'(

You are right. The filter is not suited for a bass.
If it's the I/O features you like, a board could be partly mounted so there's no filter at all, but still having the same I/O features.
Without filter the box is cheaper. (The high tolerance filter caps are expensive).

If it's the filter feature you like, it would require larger capacitors and I suspect the larger capacitors would not fit the footprint of the board. Unfortunately I can't just change resistor values to get down to bass frequencies.

Elantric

FWIW - RMC does make an internal Sub Filter for  Piezo Bass users for VB-99 bass Processor 

RMC V9SF-001B Sub Filter board for Roland VB99
(review here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3063.0

and separate internal OPT-01 Sub Filter for  Piezo Bass users for GR-55 when in Bass Mode
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0

Just contact Richard McClish for details

info@rmcmusic.com

RMC Pickup Co.
1739 Addison #15
Berkeley CA 94703

CodeSmart

If/When I complete GKMX-33 project there's a built-in programmable filter for ANY instrument. Can be turned off and allows opposite direction mounting of hex pickup. It's working very well!

gumbo

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 19, 2015, 12:00:25 AM
If/When I complete GKMX-33 project there's a built-in programmable filter for ANY instrument. Can be turned off and allows opposite direction mounting of hex pickup. It's working very well!

I really don't know what's keeping you...    ..you're obviously taking too many holidays..    8)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Headless68

Robert - would this work ok in front of a GKPX-14 ?
if so this may be a better option for me than fitting a filterboard into that as I like the idea of being able to have S1/S2 on the floor

CodeSmart

Quote from: Headless68 on August 19, 2015, 04:45:28 AM
Robert - would this work ok in front of a GKPX-14 ?
if so this may be a better option for me than fitting a filterboard into that as I like the idea of being able to have S1/S2 on the floor
I'm sorry I haven't had time to send you the board. It's been hectic. Regarding your question I see now reason why there should be a problem. The current draw in GKFX-21 is virtually the same as the filter board in the GKPX-14F.

CodeSmart

Enclosures printed and received. Handed them over to painting guy for a last clear coat.

CodeSmart

I've just made a GKFX-21 User's Manual in case you kind native English speaking gentlemen care to do a sanity check.
Anything missing or you wonder about just let me know and I correct/add etc. Thanks!
I hope my English is at least better than your Swedish ;D

http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/GKFX21_Manual.pdf

Headless68

I only spotted one typo in the heading on the graph 'Masured' should be 'Measured'
.....& your English is better than my Swedish by roughly 100% :-)

CodeSmart

Quote from: Headless68 on September 04, 2015, 12:18:17 PM
I only spotted one typo in the heading on the graph 'Masured' should be 'Measured'

Of course it should. The link now points to a corrected pdf. You're pretty sharp-eyed to be a man without a head.
Thank you Sir!

CodeSmart

Just put together the first eight. I'm always a little bit proud of my small babies.
Everything is hand-made with hearth, soul, love and affection.
I hate to see them go away  :-[ 
But soon I have to let them go, just going to test each of them thoroughly 100%.

Headless68

whippinpost91850

CodeSmart

Ten units ready to ship so I have sent e-mails to the ten first on the waiting list.
I have material for more units and will assemble as soon as there's time for it.

maan108

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 13, 2015, 02:03:27 PM
Ten units ready to ship so I have sent e-mails to the ten first on the waiting list.
I have material for more units and will assemble as soon as there's time for it.

Hello !

I'm interested to this product but I didn't found info about it on Primovasound site (price, order, payment method etc.). Can you address me for these info ?

Many thanks !

Maan108