Musicman JP Majesty w/ modified GK-3 PU

Started by cjb, July 13, 2015, 02:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjb

This is how the John Petrucci Majesty 7-string guitar looks like with the GK-3.
I have the 7-string version, so the low B is not captured by the GK-3, but I'm still very impressed :)

Now, the sad points:

• I used scotch tape to fix the divided pickup. I am afraid of mounting it permanently.
  • If I pull the whammy up to make the notes higher, some strings touch the divided pickup.. I need to carve the wood :S
  • The location of the GK-3 buttons is uncomfortable, and it is not easy to reach them while playing.

For the rest, I'm very happy!

gumtown

Look impressive !!
Can you mount the GK pickup on a thin plate which moves up/down with the tremolo ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

Very good looking. If your neck is screwed to the body you could shim it by adding a couple of layers of masking tape. Just a very slight change of neck angle would make it possible to raise the strings from the body a couple of mm down at the GK.
Need to adjust heights on pups etc. But you don't have to carve the wood  ;D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

cjb

Quote from: gumtown on July 13, 2015, 02:42:27 PM
Can you mount the GK pickup on a thin plate which moves up/down with the tremolo ?
That's what I thought, but there is no space because of two screws, you can see better here http://powerreviews.s3.amazonaws.com/images_customers/03/23/54860008_486192_full.jpg

The only way would be to move the intonation saddles, but that would bring the guitar out of tune.

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 13, 2015, 02:44:58 PM
Very good looking. If your neck is screwed to the body you could shim it by adding a couple of layers of masking tape. Just a very slight change of neck angle would make it possible to raise the strings from the body a couple of mm down at the GK.
Need to adjust heights on pups etc. But you don't have to carve the wood  ;D
Actually it is a neck-through design :S
I wish there was a simpler solution. I don't use the whammy bar too much for bending up, but sometimes it has a nice effect, and now I am a bit limited wrt how much I can bend it before touching the GK-3 with the high strings, especially when playing high on the fretboard.

Elantric

QuoteI wish there was a simpler solution. I don't use the whammy bar too much for bending up, but sometimes it has a nice effect, and now I am a bit limited wrt how much I can bend it before touching the GK-3 with the high strings, especially when playing high on the fretboard.

One solution,  an older GK-2A hex PU has lower height compared to the taller GK3 hex PU.

compare them all here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

aliensporebomb

Always use tape, never screws!

My GK guitar has had the GK3 taped to it for almost a year now.  When it stops sticking, new tape.  I can convert the instrument to stock in minutes.  Don't devalue a guitar you might sell down the road by perma-borging it unless it's something you plan on keeping forever.  My #1 I've wanted to perma-borg with an internal GK kit but I keep using my #2 or #3 with GK and tape.

As far as height, sometimes there are ways you can combat/deal with that.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

myksara

Wow! I have  majesty but have not been able to install the gk3 due to lesser string height.
The gk3 pickup is taller..
Did u make any changes by raising the bridge? But that would increase the action  by much.
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Elantric

QuoteWow! I have  majesty but have not been able to install the gk3 due to lesser string height.
Guitars are individuals ( and EBMM has only been making set in glued in necks on only a few models for a brief time ) 
If you lined up a population of Five  Musicman JP Majesty's - perhaps only one of them might be "the one" that has enough height clearance under the strings for the GK-3 hex PU.

The lower height GK-2A ( or Yamaha G1D  / Axon AX-101 should be an easier fit.

cjb

Quote from: Elantric on July 13, 2015, 03:36:18 PM
One solution,  an older GK-2A hex PU has lower height compared to the taller GK3 hex PU.
Wow, great ;) Are there any disadvantages in going for the GK-2A?
From what I found, sound and sensing-wise they are equivalent, except for the 1/8'' audio jack.

Quote from: myksara on July 13, 2015, 08:25:36 PM
Wow! I have  majesty but have not been able to install the gk3 due to lesser string height.
The gk3 pickup is taller..
Did u make any changes by raising the bridge? But that would increase the action  by much.
I think my action is slightly higher than usual, because I am very annoyed with buzzing, plus the piezo sound was a bit weird with the default low action from the factory set up.
If you are interested I can measure my current action, I find it comfortable to play, though that is of course a question of taste.

myksara

Well that would be great if you can measure the action and post.
I am ready to adapt if I can install the gk3
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,

cjb

Quote from: myksara on July 14, 2015, 06:21:22 AM
Well that would be great if you can measure the action and post.
I am ready to adapt if I can install the gk3
Sure, I will get back to you later today or tomorrow.
btw, I PMed you about the Majesty guitar.

cjb

The string action, measured at the 12th fret and to the bottom of each string, is around 3mm.
This is almost double what EBMM recommends for this guitar, but I find it nicer to play this way.

I think that I had to raise the bridge with the two screws provided for this.
At the place where I placed the GK-3, the string action is 9mm for the low E and 8mm for the high E.

Hope that helps ;)

Out of curiosity, which is your current string action?

myksara

My guitar string measurements are almost the same.
Now I will have to see if I can try to fit the gk3 on it again

cjb

Update!  it was bothering me that I could not use the whammy bar to push notes up without touching the pickups.

I disassembled the GK-3, as shown in https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1527.0, and then removed the little plastic part that makes the pickup rise with the screw.
The result is not as pretty as the raw GK-3, but it works like a charm, see for yourself

(I am holding the piece I removed with my hand)

The possible issues:
  - I am a bit afraid that the pickups are too far from the strings. I had to put gain to around 60, does this make sense?
  - There is no cover now on the GK-3, since it is too tall. Without it, the GK-3 is very flexible and I have to make sure to tighten it properly to the guitar body, or it will 'rise' and flex when I pull the whammy bar and the strings get closer to it. Not too much of an issue, but I have to deal with it better than with plain tape ;)

cjb

The final version is this one below.
I cut (therefore 'destroyed') the casing, to get the part that protects the cable when it exits the hex pickup.

Now I can pull the whammy bar to the farthest possible without problems ;)

admin

Actually if the GK-3 is closer than 20mm,  the tone suffers

You should OK

cjb

Quote from: admsustainiac on July 19, 2015, 09:17:59 AM

Actually if the GK-3 is too closer than 20mm,  the tone suffers

You should OK

You mean in string height? because 20mm = 2cm means that it would not capture anything.
Or you mean the distance to the saddle? or is it 2mm?

thanks

admin

I mean the horizontal distance  of GK Hex PU to the Bridge saddle

Never have PU 20mm (or less ) distance from bridge

admin

Quote- I am a bit afraid that the pickups are too far from the strings

Be sure the gap between top pole pieces of GK-3 PU and bottom of strings is 1mm

gumtown

That GK-3 pickup looks kind of Steam Punk cool without the cover.  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteThat GK-3 pickup looks kind of Steam Punk cool without the cover.

FWIW - its how many Chapman stick run GK Pus for years

Chapman Custom spaced GK-3 PU
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14912.msg42120#msg42120

cags12

Not sure if the OP is still active in the forum but I am thinking on doing something similar on a 7 string guitar and wondering how do you feel with having to mentally cancel out that 7th string?

gumbo

Quote from: cags12 on December 28, 2022, 01:39:05 PMNot sure if the OP is still active in the forum

Last active:August 20, 2016, 02:52:42 AM

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...