ROLAND - Internal GK-KIT-GT3 Installation questions

Started by chipstar, January 30, 2008, 01:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Same response applies

Refer your local tech to follow the Internal GK-KIT-GT3 Installation suggestions on this 14 page thread

and read the Schematics thread

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73.0

I am not using any of the vg8 switches because I am running straight out to a RMC fanout box then into a preamp. So there is no VG8 floor effects involved.  The regular GK-3 had no hum but then I switched to the roland onboard internal kit and got the hum.   I have no other pickups hooked up either.
You may have a ground loop creating hum

can be tough to debug it

steps involved explained here:

Fix Ground Loop Hum
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2078.0

gumtown

Have you wired in the guitar internal grounding?, so the metal hardware (bridge, strings, etc...) are grounded.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteHave you wired in the guitar internal grounding?, so the metal hardware (bridge, strings, etc...) are grounded.

Agreed!

whippinpost91850

Just put a GK-3 internal kit into my Lefty SG. I got it all routed( moved the selector to the upper bout, like a Les Paul) and wired , then realized the small board is to thick with the connectors attached.

Now I have to route an extention cavity beside the control cavity.

I also exchanged the GK-3 pickup for the Shadow from my Autotune internal kit.  Pictures to follow when I'm done

Next up the Autotune Kit in my regular synth guitar

rocks_are_stupid

Just finished a GK3 internal kit installation. Everything is working fine except the GK's 3 way selector switch does work in the intended way

Interestingly it seems to instead trigger the GP10's expression pedal, looking back at this happy accident I'm wondering if it's possible to assign the 3 way selector switch to trigger CTL3, CTL4, CTL5 for example. This way I could activate reverb/ echo using the switch instead of tapping with my feet

Has anybody tried this or know if it is possible?
Original Music/Videos using only the Vguitar
-
www.YouTube.com/YourNewEmpire
www.Instagram.com/Your_New_Empire
www.Facebook.com/YourNewEmpire

Christoplast

For some reason Roland's website list of operating manuals has no entry for GK-KIT-GT, but it does have one for the bass version. By editing the URL, I was able to locate the former at -
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GK-KIT-GT3_OM.pdf

admin

Quote from: Christoplast on October 22, 2018, 04:54:46 AM
For some reason Roland's website list of operating manuals has no entry for GK-KIT-GT, but it does have one for the bass version. By editing the URL, I was able to locate the former at -
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GK-KIT-GT3_OM.pdf

The most complete version is the German one here
includes a full schematic on last page
https://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/183640_gk_kit_gt3_install_g.pdf

Christoplast

Ach, jawohl, the German manual does seem more thorough. Perfect for modding my Höfner Verythin!

admin

The most complete version is the German one here
includes a full schematic on last page
https://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/183640_gk_kit_gt3_install_g.pdf

vero70

Hello.
I've a question: it's possible install the gk internal without the gk vol pot? Can I simply omit the connection on the master board or it's necessary shortcut the signal wires?
Thank you in advance

admin

Quote from: vero70 on August 02, 2020, 02:58:04 AM
Hello.
I've a question: it's possible install the gk internal without the gk vol pot? Can I simply omit the connection on the master board or it's necessary shortcut the signal wires?
Thank you in advance

The GK VOL is a crucial  important element

without it,  you get no sound from the connected GK Processor.

You could omit the 50K pot ,  and short pins 1 & 2 on CN-8 GK VOL PCB input connector

See lower left

arkieboy

I'm talking to my friend Simon about a minimal GK-KIT install on a PitBull Strat kit.  Who is probably lurking on this thread ...  ;D

If any of you have a GK-KIT installed on a Strat, would you mind taking a photo of the pickup mounting and posting here or sending me via PM?  If you have any photos of the install, they would be welcome too, but please don't dismantle your guitar on my account ...

TIA

Steve

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

admin

Unlimbo

Hi, has anyone installed a GK-3 kit into a guitar with 24v active pups?
Six string synths.

admin

Quote from: Unlimbo on August 12, 2021, 02:44:02 AM
Hi, has anyone installed a GK-3 kit into a guitar with 24v active pups?

Use a separate power on /off switch for the 24 v pickups

Avoid using the built in FET power switch section in the GK-KIT-GT3

gumbo

Quote from: admin on April 23, 2021, 09:33:57 AM

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33047222984.html

Having had a good look at these in the past, I can tell you that there's no easy way to effect a soldered connection to the metal outer casing in order to complete the Ground Circuit.

...yes you can scrape off the plating and tin it so that the solder will stick, but the heat from the soldering process will probably do some unwelcome things to the plastic centerpiece...  ...unless you've got a line on solder that melts at 50 degrees....   ::) 

...just saying.. :-*
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Unlimbo

Quote from: Elantric on July 30, 2012, 06:00:50 PM
Correct -
80% of the time I play my Frankenstrat into normal FX and amps, but when I use a 13 pin cable to feed VG-99 / GR-55 -  I do use a dummy 1/4 plug inserted into the normal 1/4" output jack to turn on the two 9V batteries.
So does your Frankenstrat pump 18v into your GK board when you run it with a dummy plug in?
Six string synths.

gumbo

Quote from: Unlimbo on September 04, 2021, 01:20:39 PM
So does your Frankenstrat pump 18v into your GK board when you run it with a dummy plug in?

The GK board would get powered from the synth unit via the 13-pin cable....7  volts across pins 12 and 13..

Unlimbo

Hi Gumbo, that's not what I meant - when using just the GK cable on a guitar with 18v pups, doesn't the 18v pass through the circuit board ?
Six string synths.

philjynx

If you're referring to the audio output signal from your 18v powered pickups, there's no reason to expect that to be beyond the normal millivolt range.

I have EMGs running on 9 volts which can be run on 18 volts. This voltage is not presented at the audio output.

I'm glad you've asked this as I also found this on EMGs site:
QuoteIf you have room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two 9v batteries wired in series to run your pickups at 18 volts. The output level will not improve significantly, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

gumbo

Quote from: Unlimbo on September 05, 2021, 01:08:43 AM
Hi Gumbo, that's not what I meant - when using just the GK cable on a guitar with 18v pups, doesn't the 18v pass through the circuit board ?

The GK board, when installed in the guitar so you can use the guitar with a GK pickup also installed, takes a 'COPY' of whatever (mag) pickup signal available within the said guitar and ALSO sends it DOWN Pin-7 of the 13-pin cable TO the synth unit.

....it's my limited understanding that the ACTIVE pickups USE the 18-or-whatever volts to generate that signal....the signal itself is not 18-or-whatever volts...otherwise when you plugged you guitar into a 'normal' amplifier using just the 1/4" jack and cable, you would run the risk of letting the smoke out of your amplifier... :o

Within the GK board, the signals input to it FROM the mag pickups ( so that it can in turn spit them out DOWN Pin-7 of the 13-pin cable TO the synth unit) have NOTHING to do with the power that the GK board NEEDS to perform its limited (!) wizardry...it gets that (7 volt) power by tapping into the power coming UP TO IT via Pins 12 & 13 of the fore-mentioned 13-pin cable.

That way, the pickups NEED their own power supply somewhere in the guitar (whatever that voltage is) to do their stuff..that power is something that exists totally separately from anything GK-like....    this principal allows all these things to exist in a semi-harmonious way, not bothering each other or interfering with each other's potential to let their respective smoke clouds fill the stage/recording studio/garage/bedroom...leaving the guitarist to enjoy the moment of musical wonderment without being billed for a call-out fee from the local Fire Brigade.

Earlier comments about Dummy (1/4") plugs, etc. relate to the way you would want to ensure that the connection FROM your mag pickups TO the GK board is able to be interrupted (switched OFF) when you didn't want that connection to allow the circuitry of the GK board to colo(u)r the mag signal when JUST using the 1/4" output of the guitar to feed straight to a normal amplifier.

Hope this helps to understand what goes on....ask for more information if things need more explanation.

Cheers,
Peter

While I writing this, philjynx managed to condense it all to one sentence....he's good at that because he lives in Wales where they condense whole sentences into street signs...

philjynx

Quote from: gumbo on September 05, 2021, 01:48:28 AM

Earlier comments about Dummy (1/4") plugs, ....
Ordinarily the preamps in EMGs are switched on by the jack plug shorting out some of the angry pixies. With a GK internal set up, no jack plug is needed to get signal to pin 7.
If you don't fit a power switch to the guitar (for the EMGs) you HAVE to put a plug (or, as we say in Wales, a plug) into the socket to release the pixies.
On my guitar, when I plug in the 25 pin lead, the EMGs are provided with 9 volts, the Nano Pi fuzz thing likewise, also the two buffers get their juice that way. Two buffers to have two entirely isolated from each other normal guitar outputs, one to pin 7 the other to pin ineitherrememberorcare.

gumbo

Sorry Phil...just couldn't resist.....   :-*

philjynx

Quote from: gumbo on September 05, 2021, 07:47:52 AM
Sorry Phil...just couldn't resist.....   :-*
Well, as luck would have it although many were sent down under for stealing sheep, we managed to hide sufficient of them to assure us of company for eternity.
Mae fy ngwraig yn ddafad hardd. Prettier na'r girfriend awstralaidd a gefais unwaith.