Godin Freeway SA

Started by foolevil, October 14, 2008, 06:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deano

Hi Guys,

I have been using the GR55 for almost 8 months and gigging live with it successfully.

Thanks to this forum, I have learnt a huge amount about how flexible it is and I am starting to get some quality sounds from it.

That said , I have had two strange issues which I hope you can help me on.

1:  I can't save the volume on a PCM string setting specific user patch when writing direct using the GR 55 write key. It will write to it if I use Gumtowns Floorboard editor?

2: I had a patch go weird last night. When I used my Godin XTSA on a Rock Organ patch it was fine. When I used my Godin Freeway even switched over to synth only it played both the Organ and also picked up a guitar sound.  When I deleted the patch and re-installed it cleared it?

Any thoughts, Ideas?

Thanks

Deano

jshortz

Im thinking of buying a synth module to add to my GR-20 rig.
Maybe a Korg,Roland,Yamaha from the 90s half rack.
Is this a good idea and will it work with my GR-20?
How about just a synth module with a controller pedal and no GR-20?
Im not sure if the S1 and S2 will work but thats not essential as long as I can use my 3 way switch on my Freeway SA.
Thanks for any help.

Sedgewick

I did use a Roland JV-880 with my GR-20, and mostly it worked well.  Occasionally it mistriggered the JV by a semitone.  I do suspect it was the GR that was the culprit, as the JV-880 works flawlessly when being triggered by a Yamaha Clavinova keyboard.

jshortz

How about a 90s synth module with just a foot pedal controller?
Ive seen alot of them for not much money.
Thanks

Elantric

Agreed - too many to choose from

But remember you need a Guitar To MIDI convertor - Your GR-20 can do that,

Get more details on the GR-20 at the Yahoo GR-20 Group
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/gr-20/?yguid=81112783
and read the latest GR-20 manual on Page 28

"Chapter 5 Connecting an External Sound Module or Sequencer"

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/1811579/GR-20_e6.pdf

Roland created the Sound Canvas SC-55 back in 1997, and these updated versions from Korg / Yamaha below offer advantages to MIDI guitarists operating in MIDI MONO mode, (separate MIDI channel per string) due to the LCD display that shows the activity on all MIDI Channels. Some Models even have a 1/4" Guitar Input with limited Guitar Amp sims

http://en.audiofanzine.com/digital-synth-rack-sound-module/korg/NS5R/medias/pictures/a.play,m.18499.html

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/tone-generators/mu100/?mode=model

jshortz

Dog Rox

Hey everyone.. I have a GODIN Freeway SA  guitar.. with the Peizo Bridge.  The bloody thing, aside from high action .. makes all kinds of noise through the GR-55  and can NOT  be quiet no matter what i do.. I ALSO changed with all the internal settings inside the GR-55  and putting ALL the sensitivity settings all down to zero and that did nothing to fix the problem. I bought this guitar specially for the fact that i has a built in  pickup for synth.. rather then having the GK3 controller  stuck on the bottom!

I know about the OPT-1  modual.. but i dont think that will fix the problem either.. as i seen in the videos that it does NOT improve it THAT much to  render shelling out 150$.   If i am going to spend anymore money into this guitar, i would rather by the GK3.. as I have two other guitars witht he GK3 installed on them and they work fine NO NOISE what so ever and trqack beautifully.. BUT alas..  they have that bulky controller and flimsey cable  mounted on the guitar,  which is why i bought the GODIN to DO away with that!.

I was wondering  if i picked up JUST the PICKUP assembly to the GK, would i be able to just plug it in to the  GODIN circuitry inside?!   Since it already has the 13 pin jack built in and the switches ALREADY  installed on the guitar, i thought it would save me  alot of work and money as i wouldnt have to purchase the GKKIT GT-3.  I already have  a extra GK3 Pickup assembly coming!

Elantric

I encourage you to read

GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

and specifically al the user created GR-55 Setup docs here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18

these cover the important GR-55  Nuance controls which dramatically help tame ghost notes.

QuoteI was wondering  if i picked up JUST the PICKUP assembly to the GK, would i be able to just plug it in to the  GODIN circuitry inside?! 

The Ghost Piezo preamp is Not compatible with a GK-3 PU.
Also Im not a fan of any Ghost 13 pin system , due to the added Hiss and noise  - compared to other 13 pin systems (RMC)

Dog Rox

Quote from:  Elantric on September 20, 2013, 07:26:35 AM
The Ghost Piezo preamp is Not compatible with a GK-3 PU.
Also Im not a fan of any Ghost 13 pin system , due to the added Hiss and noise  - compared to other 13 pin systems

Yes i read those faqs before.. the two guitars that I have installed the GK3 on it. work great .. just this noisey crappy peizo bridge on this godin!..   So yeah you answered my question i think i am just going t sell the guitar.. and just use the two i have the gk3 installed on.. heck i just bought this godin new back in december of 2012.. so it isnt even a year old!..and man its crap! :(

Elantric

I share your opinion.

We have several Freeway SA owners here - they might offer differing advice.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3792.msg27621#msg27621
Myself - I always found that model Godin's Neck to be too thin, and Ghost Piezo to be lower quality compared to the RMC system on Godin xtSA, LGX-SA, LGXT

scribble58

Hi Doug Rox. I have the Godin Freeway SA as well. This is my second Freeway SA. I also have a Yamaha Pacifica with a GK3 mounted. I have not really noticed any noise that can be attributed to the Godin. The GR-55 on the other hand, can be quite noisy, based on the patch, and how you have it configured. There are some threads regarding this..

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6193.0

As for the action, I suggest you take it in to a qualified Guitar Technician and have the action lowered. The Freeway has the same scale as a Stratocaster, so the tension is similar. I originally had a 9-42 set for the first few years, and have since started using 10-46. A lot better for me. I have replaced the humbuckers with Seymour Duncans (Slash Alnico II and JB model) I was not happy with the stock pickups at all.

I am really happy with the action that I have on the guitar now. From the factory, it was pretty high, I agree. Tailpiece is blocked as well, and screwed down. The Freeway whammy is next to useless. It was constantly going out of tune, even with liberal use of "Nut Sauce".

There is one issue that I have not been able to correct on the Godin.. With the guitar volume off, I still have a little bit of signal coming through on some patches, when it is really cranked up. Only if I switch off the output using the 3 way switch can I get rid of the signal altogether.

Maybe you can try a GK3 fitted guitar through your 55 and see if you can eliminate your Godin as the culprit?

EVH Wolfgang
Yamaha PAC402 Tele
Yamaha RGX2
Line 6 POD GO
Fishman TriplePlay (Windows Laptop)
Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR 2
NI Rig Kontrol 3 for Audio Interface/patch Switching
Boss Katana 100 v1 - GA-FC

Elantric

This thread covers GR-55 setup advice for Godin Freeway SA

Dog Rox

i may just buy the GKKIT_GT3  and install that instead into this..  since the HOLES are already drilled like for the switches.. and the 13pin jack and plate... and the control cavity is big enough for the GKKIT preamp.   the only thing i would need to do is find a way to install the kit's hex pick up in it without really putting to much collateral damage to it hehe!  I figured ONE hole enough to fit the pickup wire/and connector through the body to the preamp in the control cavity!   that should almost work in theory anyways!!

TO SCribble.. I have two other guitars that i have installed the  GK3  on them.. they work fine and quiet and really accurate..  I just dont like the bulky controller on the bottom.. hence why i bought the  Godin...    And as far as the action i already sent it back to the company i bought it from since it was screamingly  high from the day one i got it.. and   i just got it back yesterday and it is even worse.   oh well..  LLike i say i may sell it or  invest more money into it and and try to get the GKKIT installed who knows.. unless  i can get rid of it for the price i paid for it.. or some of what i paid for it!

Dog Rox

Quote from:  Elantric on September 20, 2013, 07:52:50 AM
This thread covers best GR-55 setup advice for Godin Freeway SA

actually i seen that post while back and printed it out and tried the settings and that didnt work at all either!

scribble58

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Freeway SA. I had had other Godins (Godin Telecaster, and a Godin Exit 22) with varying levels of satisfaction. The Godin Tele sounded great but the neck was really heavy, let loose the guitar for an instant, and the whole guitar neck start swinging downward. :-)   The Exit 22 was really dark sounding (bassy) and I wasnt sure a pickup replacement would fix it.

That sounds like a project I would not like to take on, ........replacing the Ghost with the GK Kit.

My next guitar will be a Fender Telecaster with a GK3

EVH Wolfgang
Yamaha PAC402 Tele
Yamaha RGX2
Line 6 POD GO
Fishman TriplePlay (Windows Laptop)
Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR 2
NI Rig Kontrol 3 for Audio Interface/patch Switching
Boss Katana 100 v1 - GA-FC

Dog Rox

yeah aside from the noisey  notes i am getting from that peizo bridge... the neck itself just isnt for me.. i dont feel  heavyness to it like yourdescribing.. it just that like someone else stated it is like a STRAT neck.. 12 inch radius.. where as my ibanez guitars  are like much larger!  making a faster playability and lower action.   The larger the radius of the fret  the lower you can get on the action.. thats why strats have a hard time for me to play cause if small radius! 

So yeah i think i am just going to sell the guitar!..   cause i cant play it.. and 1000$ will be a huge loss.. if it  is just going to sit and waste if i keep it in the case in the bedroom for ever!! .. it useless to me!!  I just got it too last december 2012.. the sales rep  told me three different stories during the purchase of that guitar and another one!.. so i am done buying guitars from that company more!!.. I took a loss!!  They tried to go good with it by  settigin it up for me finally but to me they just made it worse!. but thats me!! oh well!

Etolle

Hi, I'm looking to but a Godin Freeway SA or an xtSA. Will I have to jump through hoops (RMC etc...) to use this with my VG-99? I still have a GK-2 but I was hoping to eliminate that.

Thanks

Big Jim

I have the Godin xTSA I use as a backup for my Parker. I found the Godin worked much better with the VG-99 then with the GR-55. But I didn't try very hard to set it up with the 55. Only thing I didn't like about the godin is that it didn't have a toggle switch to change from electric to acoustic like my Parker does. Easy thing to fix but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Elantric

QuoteI found the Godin worked much better with the VG-99 then with the GR-55. But I didn't try very hard to set it up with the 55.

Read All details on GR-55 Settings to make Godin xtSA work very well with GR-55 here: ( I own two  Godin xtSA's myself)
Godin xtSA
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3912.0

Funkyfoe

Can someone tell me exactly what that little dip-switch does on my Godin Freeway SA? ?? It's right above the 13-pin port. From what I can tell it decreases the output level....is that all it does?
I can't find any info on-line or the manual even...figured I try here.

Funkyfoe

Can someone tell me exactly what that little dip-switch does on my Godin Freeway SA? ?? It's right above the 13-pin port. From what I can tell it decreases the output level....is that all it does?
I can't find any info on-line or the manual even...figured I try here.

Fretwired

I have a Godin Freeway SA - about 6 years old. I just purchased a new Boss GP-10 and find that the g string (no pun intended) cuts out. The GP-10 doesn't recognise it when you try to set the sensitivity automatically.

Is this easy to fix?

Fretwired

I have a Godin Freeway SA and a Godin LGXT - both excellent guitars which I have used with a GR-33, GR-20, GR-55, GP-10 [arrived this week] and I used to have a VG-99. The guitars both worked very well [I have a minor issue with my Freeway SA but it's been well played].

Up until recently John McLaughlin gigged with a Freeway SA and a MIDI setup .. http://www.godinguitars.com/johnmclaughlin_07.htm

Elantric

Try a different 13 pin cable.