FC300 - Expression pedels not working correctly

Started by philharmonique, January 27, 2008, 11:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doha1696

Hi, thanks for all these informations, I made what you told me... It seems to be good in Sysex mode, I've got the expression pedal on the two Wha effects on GR4 and the VG99. The problem is that I can't change patches on the two effects with the FC 300 pedals, don't understand why. I can do this in the standard mode : sounds change together when I press a pedal but then, I can't assign the FC300 expression pedal to the VG99 wha........ very strange because GR4 wha works without any problem......
I resume :
sysex mode = wha assigned on the FC 300 expession pedal works perfectly but changing two presets simultaneously on GR4 and VG99 is impossible
standard mode = it's OK to change programs together using the FC 300 switches but only GR4 wha works with the FC 300 expression pedal...

Sure you'll tell me what's wrong...

Bye and thanks again!
Dominik Hardy

http://fret-time.com

Brent Flash

You may want to read this thread if you want to use Standard Mode. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1377.0
If you are talking about the GR4 not getting a Program Change MIDI event then you may want to see if you have OUTPUT (PC OUT) on.

Brent Flash

I forgot to say, OUTPUT (PC OUT) is in the SYSTEM settings.

doha1696

OK, I'll try this but I'm already progressing yet.

Thanks for everything.

Dominik
Dominik Hardy

http://fret-time.com

pjwassermann

So this would probably be the same procedure for controlling an additional Axe FX from the FC300 or the VG.

I, too, would like to have the patches change simultaneously, also when I switch them directly on the VG guitar. For this should I use the MIDI out on the VG? Any settings useful to know?

Then also I want to have ExprPedal1 on the FC300 control the Wah (or whatever assigned) on the Axe, too.

Thanks if you can give me some starting points on all three units involved.
PJ Wassermann
PJ Wassermann
http://www.pjwassermann.com/
Last album "Space Drone Salad": https://pjwassermann.bandcamp.com

Brent Flash

Quote from:  pjwassermann on November 12, 2010, 04:39:10 PM
So this would probably be the same procedure for controlling an additional Axe FX from the FC300 or the VG.
Yes, very similar!  :)
I, too, would like to have the patches change simultaneously, also when I switch them directly on the VG guitar. For this should I use the MIDI out on the VG? Any settings useful to know?
Just read up on some of the info linked to in this thread. It will help you understand how MIDI works somewhat.
Then also I want to have ExprPedal1 on the FC300 control the Wah (or whatever assigned) on the Axe, too.

Thanks if you can give me some starting points on all three units involved.
PJ Wassermann
Let us know if you run into a road block.

fokof

Also be sure to set your USB out correctly:
System/MIDI/page 3/F2 = RRC2
So your FC300 CC are sent to the CPU

guitguy

please please post a step by step as i cannot get it assigning at all.

fokof

The thing is : you have to assign an On/Off to parameter #1 and the assign on parameter #2

"How to" assign the DBeam filter:

Assign1 = D Beam filter / filter / switch
-D-Beam target min=on / target max=off
-switch mode = moment
-Source active range = low=126>high=127

Assign 2= D Beam Filter / filter / control
-D-Beam target min=100 / target max=0
-switch mode = moment
-Source active range = low=0>high=126

ON the ribbon or DBeam , you always have to assign a "switch" on top of the controller. ( on the VB99 anyways)

Gassghost

Hi All:
Ok, I've believe I've exhausted most avenues (manuals, this forum and experimenting) and after 4 hours I need some help. I'm a novice and just starting to implement MIDI into my rig. Here's the layout:

GK3>
US-20 > VG-99
         > GR-55

FC-300 RRC2 > VG-99
           MIDI Out > GR-55

This is probably a very simple issue but I just can't seem to figure it out. When running  the FC-300 in SYSEX mode I have EXP1 as pedal VOL for the 55 and EXP2 is Pedal VOL for the 99. I want to use EXP3 as an assignable exp pedal for different functions in each patch on both the 55 and the 99. Right now my focus is on the 55 (I have not experimented with the 99 at this point) When in any mode except SYSEX the EXP3 pedal functions as is should per CC# assignment and  function (i.e. PCM bend) on the 55. As soon as I go into SYSEX mode EXP3 no longer works on the 55. What am I doing wrong or missing?? or is this not possible in SYSEX mode??? I'm stumped.

Thanks
GASS
GR-303 updated electronics, Stetsbar, Sustainiac
GR-808 (original) + Stetsbar (FOR SALE)
79 Strat w/ GK-2A
Eastman El Ray 1 and El Ray 3
94 Fender Tele w/GK-2A, Stetsbar
2 Fender GTX 100's
VG-99, GR-55, FC-300
And studio full of stuff

Elantric

I suspect your problem is the US-20

I would remove the FC-300 from the  system and check simple basic A/B routing function of the US-20.

The US-20 has very specific requirements before it can be used as an A/B switcher

Details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3494.0

QuoteManipulating the "A/B" or "Both" foot switches on the US-20 simply re-routes the GK-3 S1 & S2 control lines and the GK-3 Volume control voltage to the target 13 pin processor device selected by the US-20:
Unit A or Unit B or Both.

All 6 string signals (as well as the "normal guitar signal") from the GK-3 are always sent to both 13 pin processing units the US20 is feeding. (Unit A & Unit B)

The 20 year old US-20 design relies on the GK-3 Volume control to be assigned to the Master Volume parameter of the connected units (VG-99, GR-55,etc).
When the US-20 "deselects" a connected 13 pin device, it sets the "GK-Vol" control voltage to zero - which essentially "mutes"  the deselected device -therefore: The Roland US-20 A/B box will only work, AS LONG AS you have the GK-3 VOL control set to control Master Volume on the connected device! (VG-99,VB-99,GR-55, etc)!!

The problem is this era of COSM processing, the  GK-3 Vol Control is constantly being re-assigned to many other functions / uses besides Master Volume, (including the factory presets of the recent Roland products) far too many times the US-20 will appear to not be functional and "broken". This is normal.

So if you have reassigned the GK-3 Vol control to another parameter, such as Delay level, or EQ control, the US-20 will not function.

Also note that you MUST connect a 13 pin processor to the US-20's "UNIT A" jack, as this supplies +/-7VDC power to the US-20.

US-20 Schematic is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=480.0;attach=432;image

Brent Flash

Another possible fix is to go into CONTROL ASSIGNS and tell the VG99 to output a CC# for EXP#3. I don't think it will do it by default in SYSEX MODE.

Gassghost

Thank you guys!

Brent that was the ticket and I actually stumbled across the solution about 5 minutes after I posted. I read one more somewhat unrelated post and the answer was there. The problem was the 99 was not passing along the CC.  assigned CC#76 to the EXP#3 out and works like a charm!

You guys are great!
Thanks for the help!!!

Gass
GR-303 updated electronics, Stetsbar, Sustainiac
GR-808 (original) + Stetsbar (FOR SALE)
79 Strat w/ GK-2A
Eastman El Ray 1 and El Ray 3
94 Fender Tele w/GK-2A, Stetsbar
2 Fender GTX 100's
VG-99, GR-55, FC-300
And studio full of stuff

rer801

Greetings, and happy holidays.  I'm having some issues with not being able to use the expression/control pedals on the FC-300 with the VG-99 in Patch Mode.  I'm running the FC-300 into the VG-99 via the RRC2 cable.  From the VG-99, I then run a MIDI cable into my Boss GT-Pro.  I have the VG-99 set to MIDI channel 1, Omni mode on, and the GT-Pro set to MIDI channel 2.  I have successfully assigned the FC-300 to switch patches on both the VG-99 and the GT-Pro, so I know that's working correctly.  I have also successfully assigned Expression Pedal 2 on the FC-300 to act as a foot volume control for the GT-Pro using CC#7.  The problem I'm encountering is that no matter what I do, I can't get Expression Pedal 1 on the FC-300 to act as the foot volume for the VG-99.  FWIW, I'm assigning these on a patch-by-patch basis - not globally at this point.  It's like the only thing being recognized by the VG-99 is patch changes.  Does the VG-99 recognize CC#7 as foot volume, as it does on the GT-Pro?  The simplest thing I would like to accomplish right at the moment is to just have Expression Pedal 1 on the FC-300 act as the foot volume for the VG-99.  If I can get that to work on a single patch, I'd be happy to set it on a patch-by-patch basis.  I have tried looking at both the VG-99 and the editor software, but I can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Ron

Brent Flash

You will have to go into the CONTROL ASSIGN section either on the VG or in the EDITOR and then go to the FC-300 section and set the target of EXP 1 to FOOT VOLUME in the FX section. It is last and make sure you set both A and B if you are using both.

rer801

Brent:  thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, I still cannot get this to work.  I have the foot volume for Exp. 1 set as you outlined, on both A & B, and it works just fine in Sys Ex mode.  However, it does not work at all when I switch to Patch mode.  Any other thought/suggestions/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ron

Brent Flash

Quote from:  rer801 on December 26, 2012, 04:07:03 PM
Brent:  thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, I still cannot get this to work.  I have the foot volume for Exp. 1 set as you outlined, on both A & B, and it works just fine in Sys Ex mode.  However, it does not work at all when I switch to Patch mode.  Any other thought/suggestions/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ron
OK, well I don't remember you mentioning using other modes for the FC-300, maybe I just missed it. Any time you use another mode on the FC then you have to set a target (on the VG) up with a CC# in the ASSIGN (1-16) section of the ASSIGN CONTROL section. This thread does not address your problem sepcifically but does include some information (like what CC# the controllers on the FC send by default) that will be very helpful to get the VG working in other modes. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1377.0

Brent Flash

I will be moving this thread to the FC-300 area in case you can't find it.

rer801

Brent:  thank you.  I could've sworn I put Patch mode in my initial message, but it appears that I did not.  My apologies for that oversight.

I'll have a look at the info in the link you posted.  Thanks very much.

Ron

vanceg

I sold my FC-300 but I seem to recall that in PATCH mode, the FC-300 sends MIDI out the 5pin MIDI ouputs only.  I may be mis-remembering.  But If I am right, then you would need to connect a standard MIDI cable from the FC-300 to the VG-99.

rer801

vanceg:  thanks for your message.  Unfortunately, there is no change in this problem when using a MIDI cable into the VG instead of the RRC2.  The problem persists, and I've tried everything I can think of at this point.  I'm now seriously considering dumping the FC-300 in favor of something else, although I don't know what at this point.

Happy New Year.

Ron

Brent Flash

The VG is not set up to respond to any CC# by default. You have to set them up yourself in the CONTROL ASSIGN section. As an example would be to set up the VG to respond to EXP PEDAL 1 on the FC-300. Since the FC-300 default CC# for EXPRESSION PEDAL 1 is CC#7 you would go into CONTOL ASSIGN/ASSIGN/ then on one of the sixteen assigns select as a SOURCE CC#7 with a target of A:FX/FV/LEVEL on CONTROL ASSIGN 1 and then Target B:FX/FV/LEVEL on 2. This will now set up the Foot Volume to respond to CC#7.

rer801

Brent:  thank you (and thanks for your patience).  I think that I have tried what you described, but I will try it again, just to be certain.

Best,

Ron

Brent Flash

Quote from:  rer801 on December 29, 2012, 05:14:31 PM
Brent:  thank you (and thanks for your patience).  I think that I have tried what you described, but I will try it again, just to be certain.

Best,

Ron
It is just a matter of finding out what you are not setting right. It works for everyone else. Make sure you have the basics set right also. Any device you want to control has to be set to the same MIDI channel, etc.

The VG is not like a keyboard where all the controls are already set and you just send CC# data and they work. Like I said you have to set up any part of the VG you want to control. In SYSEX mode you do it CONTROL ASSIGN/ FC-300 and all other modes you use the actual CCs in the CONTROL ASSIGN/ ASSIGN.

rer801

Brent:  IT WORKED!!!!!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

I think I understand it now, too.  I can be SO dense sometimes, but I think I get it now.

Again, many thanks for your assistance and patience.

Ron