FC300 - Anyone have pics of FC-300...INSIDE?!?!

Started by dayn, July 14, 2010, 11:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayn

Anyone take it apart and have a picture of the FC-300 inside? Thanks!

sixeight

Was looking for pictures of the PCBs of the FC300 on the internet and couldn't find any. So I had to take one myself.

I did not expect to find this many boards. I found:
* a main board with the small buttons, the displays, and connectors for power and midi.
* a seperate board with the jack connections for external pedals
* two boards for the footswitches and leds
* a small board for the rrc2 connection
* a small board for the led of expression pedal 2
* two small boards for the potmeters of both expression pedals

The reason I looked is to get some more ideas for the VController v2

Elantric

It's convention in most consumer products to use separate PCB Board for high speed CPU / DSP, LCD fine pitch components as these often require 4 to 8 layer PCBS and these cost more , so they design a relatively small PCB.

Then for low speed I/0 switches, they design a separate larger one or two layer PCB often only for switches and analog I/O Connectors  with ribbon cable connections between the PC boards

This design strategy  lowers the final manufacturing cost, and lowers  the EMI  / FCC / CE Emissions

This strategy has been used on every Boss GT-x / VG-x ever made.
GT-100

GP-10

VG-99 (oberseve the added copper EMI shielding in between the PC boards, lowers noise, but also important for  passing global EMI  / CE / FCC emission standards  - since the VG-99 used a Plastic Chassis,it is more difficult without the copper EMI shields     

FCB-1010

sixeight

Peaking inside the GR-55 and the GP-10, there are 2 main boards with an extra one for the GK connector - which is needed to get the lock of the 13 pin plug on the right side.

The stair stepped design of the FC-300 explaines the two boards for the switches. I just did not expect an extra board for jack i/o and for the main board to be separate as well...

admin

Good reference for understanding control of EMI /RF Emissions

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/