GR-55 - Assigning MOD Pickups to the Expression Pedal

Started by foofiequaf, November 11, 2015, 11:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foofiequaf

I am using the mod for a LP with P90's and I'd like to use the Exp Pedal to choose the pickup(s).  When it is in the heel position I want the "front" pickup.  When it is in the toe position I want the "rear" pickup.  When it is somewhere in between I'd like both front and rear.  I have tried this: 

Assign 1
Target: Modeling E. Gtr,HH,TE,LP....
Min:     Front
Max:    F + R
Source: Exp. Pedal
Source Mode: Moment
Act Ring Low: 0
Act Ring High: 30

Assign 2
Min:     F + R
Max:    Rear
Act Ring Low: 31
Act Ring High: 100

Assign 3
Min:     Rear
Act Ring Low: 101
Act Ring High: 127

I don't ever get to the Rear choice....

When I am at the heal position I get Front.  As I move toward the toe position I get F + R and it stays that way all the way to full toe position.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

BTW - I don't think the pedal needs to be calibrated because if I assign something like volume to 101 thru 127 I get that change in volume.

concordal

foofiequaf, have you tried this without ASSIGN 3?

Not close to my GR-55 right now, but I think that ASSIGNS 1 & 2 might be sufficient.  ASSIGN 2 already has the rear pickup set to Max when the pedal gets to 100.

foofiequaf

Yes, I tried it with just assign 1 and 2.  That didn't work either.

Basically

0 to 20 - min front, max f+r
100 to 127 - min f+r, max rear

mmmmgtr

Shouldn't it be. ..

Assign 1
Target: PU SEL #
Max:    Front

Assign 2
Target: PU SELL #

Assign 3

I'm not in front of my GR55 to test it. ..

mmmmgtr

It sort of worked with...

Assign 1
Max:    Front
Source Mode: Toggle

Assign 2

Assign 3

The change wasn't consistent. It worked sometimes, but other times it seemed to get "stuck"...

If I wiggle the pedal around a bit, it seems to make the change as I would expect, but it is EXTREMELY inconsistent.

So I came up with this, and it works consistently. It requires you to toggle the EXP SW. With the EXP SW off you go between
REAR and R+F, with it on you go between R+F and FRONT. In both cases, toe down is R+F, heel down is REAR when EXP SW
is off. This way, with R+F at toe down, you can toggle the switch to go back to either FRONT or REAR when you go back to heel
position. It is a little cumbersome to go from FRONT to REAR with this method, but it isn't too bad.

The PEDAL doesn't seem to like being split into multiple "zones". Maybe someone else knows how to make a multi-zone PEDAL
assignment work????

Assign 1
Min:     REAR
Max:    R+F
Source: EXP PDL

Assign 2
Min:    FRONT
Source: EXP PDL ON

gumtown

Your Source Modes are set to Toggle, which means it must pass through that EXP pedal zone twice to switch.
Set it to Moment, as per the previous example.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mmmmgtr

I'm pretty sure I tried moment as well,  with similar results.  I'll double check and post my findings.

mmmmgtr

So I tried momentary, and it doesn't switch between the pickup selection settings at all. When I went back to toggle, I see that it behaves exactly as you stated. As I wiggle the pedal and pass through the range twice the changes happen as you would expect. Not very workable, almost impossible to control.

mmmmgtr

I figured out the problem. You can only make one assign to the pedal that controls the same target. Each assign works individually by itself, but when you turn on all of them only one is working. This means there is really no way to do multiple zones on the pedal when trying to control a single target. My other method works because the pedal is being treated in two different modes; one when the switch is on and one when the switch is off.

mmmmgtr

Duh.... this works...

Assign 1
Min:     FRONT
Max:    REAR

I really need to think these things through before I post. I was trying to make the initial post idea work without stopping to think that maybe it was the wrong approach to begin with. Turns out that the original post was over complicating the problem. The pedal will sweep through the possible settings of the target, which is why the simple solution is the one that works. The main problem I see with this is that you can't select when the middle setting is activated. It would be nice to have extreme heel and extreme toe give the FRONT and REAR setting respectively,  while anywhere in the middle would give the R+F setting.

foofiequaf

MMMMMGTR... Ah... Yes... that makes sense... I'm giving it a shot tomorrow if I get a chance.

Thanks to all :-)

foofiequaf

Jeez, I never posted again... yes the simple solution works.  the only problem is that there is no real clear indication (other than the sound) of whether the front, rear, or both pickups are being used.

mmmmgtr

You could try my other idea. It does work...

So I came up with this, and it works consistently. It requires you to toggle the EXP SW. With the EXP SW off you go between
REAR and R+F, with it on you go between R+F and FRONT. In both cases, toe down is R+F, heel down is REAR when EXP SW 
is off. This way, with R+F at toe down, you can toggle the switch to go back to either FRONT or REAR when you go back to heel 
position. It is a little cumbersome to go from FRONT to REAR with this method, but it isn't too bad.

Assign 1
Min:     REAR

Assign 2
Min:    FRONT
Source: EXP PDL ON

baastien

Quote from: mmmmgtr on November 13, 2015, 10:06:48 PM
Duh.... this works...

Assign 1
Min:     FRONT
Max:    REAR

Hi guys,
I was wondering too how to change MOD guitar PU while Mr mmmmgtr findings helps me to get appropriate way to achieve it.
I trigger it with GK volume (activate first gk volume behaviour to patch settings in the system), it permit to switch between F F+R and R pick-ups. On my Godin I also marked (discrete but visible to me) segments allocated for each configuration.

Hope it can helps.
Cheers