VG-8 - trouble sending MIDI data to VG-8

Started by gferri, October 26, 2012, 03:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gferri

Hello everybody
I've changed the internal battery 'cause a message told me the battery was low, however, I was wrong because the message was referring to the battery of the memory card (M512-E). I replaced both batteries, but the VG8 lost all the patches and system data. OK, I said, as before I had saved everything is on midi sequencer and also on V-Library. The problem 'that does not receive incoming MIDI data input. Verified midi connection (I've tried 2 midi interfaces on two different computers for security), but Vg8 receives nothing. At the receiver go into System --> MIDI page. The id is 17 and the midi channel 1, everything looks correct but vg8 does not receive anything. I'm 'doing something wrong? Note that the output data come out, but unfortunately using V-Library receiving the program does not complete the operation, but with the MIDI sequencer sysex sends all of its data.
Any suggestion about ?
Thanks in advance

Brent Flash

If the data was saved with a different ID NUMBER it will not work. Most MIDI devices default to ID 1  so you might try setting device ID to 1. If that does not work try all the other device IDs available. Other than that try other MIDI gear like you have been doing. Hope this helps!

Brent Flash

Oh, and welcome to the group gferri!  :)

Elantric

And if you have a spare computer and MIDI interface - Use MIDI OX or other free MIDI Monitor to verify your other computer is actually sending MIDI.

Myself, i keep a 1999 era Terasonde AudioToolBox in my studio, its a lifesaver.
Among its many functions is a MIDI Monitor that really helps debug problems with MIDI rigs.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb00/articles/audiotoolbox.htm

gferri

Ok, I will check if midi data come out correctly  from midi interface, but I thik so (I tried 2 different midi interfaces on 2 different computer...), and will try  with other ID numbers on vg8 . About 10 years since I turned on the last time ... . I'll let you know.
Thanks for the quick response, I was hoping there -:)

Brent Flash

Quote from: gferri on October 28, 2012, 09:45:23 AM
and will try  with other ID numbers on vg8 .
The ID number that was used when the file was saved is the only ID that will work on the unit to send it back, they have to match. It will just ignore any SYSEX file until the ID is matched with the ID the file was saved with. Most units have ID #1 set when you get it. The only reason to change this is if you have more than one of the same unit and want to send different SYSEX files to them at the same time. So, if you had two or three VG8s you would set each on a different ID and you could send each one its own SYSEX data file at the same time.

gumtown

Here is a way to identify the system ID number from a *.syx patch or bulk dump file.

I use Bomes SendSX (easier to use than midiOx), open the sysx file in your midi program, and view the first few bytes of data

F0 41 10 74 12 02 00

F0 = sysx header (file start)
41 = Roland product identifier
10 = system unit ID identifier - this is a hexadecimal number, hex 10 = decimal 17, hex 0 = decimal 1
74 = product model identifier, 74 = VG-8

If you lost your patch data alredy, i suggest removing the cr2032 vg-8 battery for a good half hour to fully dicharge the scrambled data contents, it could be a reason why the midi is not receiving if part of the system is corrupted too.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

tekrytor

Quote10 = system unit ID identifier - this is a hexadecimal number, hex 10 = decimal 17, hex 0 = decimal 1
74 = product model identifier, 74 = VG-8

I think the decimal values are off by one, because normally 10 hex = 16 decimal, unless this is a Roland specific designation for the system unit IDs and not standard hex to decimal conversion.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

gumtown

Quote from: tekrytor on October 28, 2012, 08:26:03 PM
I think the decimal values are off by one, because normally 10 hex = 16 decimal, unless this is a Roland specific designation for the system unit IDs and not standard hex to decimal conversion.
Roland do offset the numbering by 1 for the unit ID where the ID range is 1~32 while the hex values are 00~1F,
I suppose because a unit with an ID of 0 would seem to be a non-existant item.
1~128 rather than 0~127.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gferri

ID was 17 and data was sent with ID17 and doesn't work. Note that if I bulk prog&system, then I connent MIDI Out to Vg8Ex MIDI In port trying to send data, it receives nothing (I remember that when receiving data, VG8 displayed "receiving data" or something like so).
Thanks for the support, but I think there is an hardware trouble on midi in.

tekrytor

These problems are often as simple as a bad MIDI cable, which you've probably already swapped. Or the midi interface or drivers are possibly corrupt. If you have spares, I would first try swapping MIDI cables and MIDI interface, and then reinstalling the VG and MIDI drivers before taking it in for service.
If you're new to MIDI, probably not, but for MIDI  reading this, it's common to swap the input/output connections and some gear MIDI is actually mislabeled occasionally.

VGuitar Forums > MIDI Controllers / Interface / Adapters > MIDI Controllers / Interface / Adapters
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=7.0

MIDI Tutorials
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices