VG99 with a band, suggestion welcome!

Started by pasha811, June 08, 2014, 12:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

After many years, next week I will play in band.
My VG99 has substituted a lot of gear I used.
Today I have enabled CTRL3, CTRL4 and I own an EV5.
Genre will be mainly rock with an acoustic touch.
I have setup each song to be played using the multichannel capability of VG99,
so CTRL3 is the A/B channel switch and CTRL4 enables some additional function like 12 string, chorus..
Channel A is the rhythm sound (usually Acoustic Guitar) or Backing sound (Clean chorus or backing distorted)
and Channel B is the lead sound (here I mix my Natural PU sound).
So every patch gives me ability to have two distinct sounds with some 'changes' using CTRL4.
The GK2 controls S1 and S2 are mapped to change Pickup for virtual guitars and the Volume unmapped.
I am in doubt to overrule the S1 and S2 assignments to become the Patch Up/Down and leave the VG99 on the floor
while keeping the Volume to control overall output of VG99. I can also add the EV-5 but I bought it only to have sweeps
effects and I don't have any to be done with this band.
I cannot afford an FC300 now so my only alternative could be getting a MIDI board to change patches via program changes.

What do you think? I like going minimal but will that work? Any suggestion?

Best
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

gumtown

You should be good to go,
My suggestions,..

Don't leave the VG-99 on the floor, someone will surely stand on it.

Test all your patches at a gig level and trim them to mix in with the rest of the band.

Minimalistic is OK, but You might need to utilise the EV5 for master volume maybe.

Good Luck !  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

supernicd

I've found that I like my GK-3 volume mapped to the COSM guitar volume control.  Some of the amp models respond nicely to this and clean up as you roll back.  In particular I like using this with the LP model guitar and a Marshall amp model.  They don't seem to be quite as responsive as the real deal but still plenty useable.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

pasha811

I did it and it was an emotional thing.
After so many years of playing with a sequencer.. now with a band, again.
Your suggestion made me modify my setup a little, so ok with CTRL3, CTRL4 for channel switch
I added EV5 to have overall volume mapped and S1/S2 for up/down patch, using the map global
override (usually at patch level S1/S2 are for Pickup Change) and added Guitar Volume to GK2 Vol Knob.
It worked fine. The only downside was that I feed my VG99 directly into the P.A. through the mixer.
I think VG99 is better when amplified in a cabinet with no preamp so that the sound is not colored too much.
In my case the sound was thinner than expected, especially the Acoustic Guitars. Well, there's room for learning
here... one thing is recording at home, the other playing with a band.

Thanks to everybody!
You are the best community!

;-)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Big Jim

One thing to remember when using different rigs (amps/PA) is that you can use the global EQ/tone to tweak your system for the best sound. I usually go to my acoustic 12 string to dial in the sound I like and then all the other patches fall in to place rather nicely. I used to use an FC 300 but I switched to the Boss FS-6 (ctrl 3 & 4) and an MGear EX-P (exp pedal). Made it so much easier (smaller) for gigging. Depending on what song I am playing either the pedal or the GK knob will control A/B and the other will control volume. When I am not blending A & B I use the S1 for switching A & B. Just be open to different setups for different patches. I also always run with Normal pickups a little hot so if I need a boost in volume I don't have to reach for the VG to do it.