N.I. Guitar Rig 5

Started by supernicd, January 08, 2014, 04:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

I've had NI Guitar Rig since version 2 or 3...  It has always been one of those "bonus" products that's rolled in with Komplete for me.  Starting with version 4, I really started using it a lot for effects, particularly Reflektor on vocal tracks, but admittedly never used it much for its intended purpose of, well, being a guitar rig.  It always seemed a little extra CPU hungry and a little lackluster in some way that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

I finally had some time to really explore version 5 as a guitar amp and effects modeler over the past few days.  And I was blown away by how good this version is!  There are really two new components that make it for me.

Control Room Pro, which has all of those super high quality, extremely realistic cabinet IRs from RedWirez, and lets you easily mix and match up to 8 of those and control their levels and pans.  You can get so much tonal variety in here without ever touching your amp settings or FX chain.

And Vintage Verb.  While it's limited to 4 plate and 4 spring reverbs, each of them sound SO good.  They are just exactly what I want to hear.  And to my ear, reverb units are a very common place for guitar processors to fall short of the mark.

This product's been out for a while, so I guess this isn't news to anyone.  But I guess after spending some time with it, I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often 'round here.  Anyone else using this on a regular basis?
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

I recently took advantage of updating my NI Komplete to latest version, only had short time with latest GuitarRig, to test my RigKontrol 3; which worked straight away. Need more time in my schedule.

Last time I spent any time with GuitarRig was 4 years ago using Gibson Dark Fire and sluggishly trying to run 6 separate instances of GuitarRig (one per string) as VSTi's inside Ableton Live. on a 2007 Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. It was supposed to be a VG99 type experience in software, and I was the lone skeptic . But made many friends and nearly realized a childhood dream of working for Gibson.
Luckily my sober adult and gut feelings spoke louder to me, else it might have been me demoing the 2011 Firebird-X .

I dodged a bullet IMHO  and can continue to speak my mind in public, and continue to be employed without being a puppet.

So once I loose my emotional baggage,  I intend to give more time to exploring GR5.
Im recording 10 tunes in a Protools studio with a live 4 piece band this week, and all guitars are running DI boxes before our amps, to give us the option for reamping.in post production. Intend to try each of my amp tools (hardware and Software)

mbenigni

QuoteI'm surprised it doesn't come up more often 'round here.

I always feel the same way about Guitar Rig.  People just don't seem to talk about it in relation to the alternatives.  For instance, how does it compare with a Line 6 rig, or a Kemper rig, or any of the recent iOS options?  Amplitube will come up in conversation from time to time, but never Guitar Rig for whatever reason.

I used to use it quite a lot for recording and rehearsals, and a couple of times on stage.  I think it's one of the best, if not the best, package in terms of sensible UI and flexibility, but I never sat down with an A/B box and tried to compare its tones with the hardware I had laying around.  There are just too many options and too many variables (interfaces, speakers, etc.) - it's overwhelming.

I've always loved Guitar Rig's take on Vox, though, and the crazy things you can do with the Bias and Variac controls.

Downside:  I have had a long run of bad luck with the RK line of interfaces, and I've paid full wack for every one.  There's always something that turns me off.  RK1, no actual ADCs; RK2 no MIDI (despite promises it would be introduced after release); RK3, insanely loud switches.

supernicd

Quote...but I never sat down with an A/B box and tried to compare its tones with the hardware I had laying around.
I actually started A/B'ing some things with it.  Same guitar (Epiphone LP), audio interface, studio monitors, and was A/B'ing GR5, Bias/JamUp, GR-55, and POD HD500.  I didn't get too far but started with the trusty old Twin Reverb equivalent in each.  Without control room pro, I thought it compared very similarly - they all did the Twin Reverb model pretty darned well.  When I added Control Room Pro, that took it up a notch - there are so many possible combinations to try out, and in different mixes, and it seems like you have to work hard at getting a bad mix.  When I added the excellent spring verb from VintageVerb, I thought it was head and shoulders above the others.  I really like this verb.

I know the Twin model is probably not an adequate test.  It seems like many modelers do the very low gain stuff very well.  It'd be interesting to continue to A/B as time permits, especially on crunchier models and even into higher gain territory.

I have never tried the RKs - looks like maybe they're now defunct?  Can't really find purchase options on new ones.  I stopped taking a computer on stage about the time others really started to.  I just found it introduced too many variables and too much complexity for that environment - things that can go wrong that you just don't get with hardware; and too much recovery time if they do.  So for me at least for now this is recording solution only.

QuoteI dodged a bullet IMHO  and can continue to speak my mind in public, and continue to be employed without being a puppet.

So once I loose my emotional baggage,  I intend to give more time to exploring GR5.
Im recording 10 tunes in a Protools studio with a live 4 piece band this week, and all guitars are running DI boxes before our amps, to give us the option for reamping.in post production. Intend to try each of my amp tools (hardware and Software)
I for one am glad you can still speak your mind.  Will be interested to hear what you think after the re-amping experiment.

EDIT:  I should probably add that I'm not trying to start a which is better war here.  There are about a million other variables and I like all of these modelers for certain strengths that they have.  But I am pretty intrigued by GR5.  I think with this version it's going to see a lot of use from me.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

I'm pretty fussy about reverbs myself, and find the reverb options in Jam Up Pro to be a little bit of a weak spot for the moment.  I'll have to go back and listen to the VintageVerb again.  My old Vetta 2 has a couple of great springs, lots of character.  Unfortunately I never liked the amp/speaker modeling much.

I agree with you about bringing a computer on stage. Although that was an aim of mine for many years it never really proved out to be worth the trouble.  But the two worlds seem to be colliding now that iOS is so viable.  An iOS device doesn't bring quite as much complexity as a full blown desktop/laptop OS - at least not yet - and the software is now competitive with h/w modelers.  What remains to be seen is whether the iOS platform can maintain its simplicity and reliability as the software becomes more demanding and the layers underneath (OS and silicon) evolve.  I'm already having moments where my iPad gets a little weird and I'm reminded that - in fact - it is a computer, albeit an elegant one.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts if you continue testing other amp types.  A common opinion for a while was that GR was pretty weak in the high gain department, but NI has included a couple of new amps in recent versions that might cover that territory.  Meanwhile, I'm just loving the modded JCMs etc in Bias/ Jam Up.  It's to the point that all these options sounds so good, there's not much motivation to waste your time determining which is "best".  (Until you start feeling silly about owning it all, and have to decide which to sell...   ::) )

And yes, when it comes to tracking and reamping, a proper VST solution like GR is always going to have a leg up on external hardware (e.g. Kemper, an iPad running Bias, etc.) no matter how the tones compare.

mbenigni

QuoteI have never tried the RKs - looks like maybe they're now defunct?  Can't really find purchase options on new ones.

P.S.  Actually NI is still shipping the RK3, for $249.  It's just that their website is a little weird and it's hard to find the purchasing option (or any Guitar Rig content for that matter.)

Elantric

All N.I.  links are now dead for Rig Kontrol

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-kontrol/overview/the-hardware/

smells to me like an updated  Rig Kontrol is looming (Maybe in 2 weeks at 2013 Winter NAMM?) - with luck it will be 24 bit and USB Class Compliant for Win / Mac/ Ipad

Meanwhile all we know about the old Rig Kontrol 3 is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8574.0

supernicd

If I continue the A/B tests perhaps I'll record the results and put them up on SoundCloud.  But I think you're right.  There are lots of good sounding options now and A/B tests might just reveal particular things that one package does better than another.  In my case I think I was just trying to verify it sounded as good as thought it did, as I've only been mildly impressed with prior versions.  I was also trying some Frankenstein maneuvers - e.g. Bias amp through Control Room Pro's cabinet & mics.  With some good results!

Another thing that has always seemed strangely absent from N.I.'s website is a patch exchange for Guitar Rig.  I think that's kind of a shame.  I've probably mentioned in other posts that the likelihood of me downloading a patch and using it straight away is pretty low, but I do get a lot of ideas from downloaded patches.  Particularly in a highly configurable system.

GR seems to be one of those very robust systems.  It has quite a few specialized modules, interesting routing options, and it's modulation system seems to be really comprehensive with the LFOs, envelope followers, and step sequencers that can be wired into any knob or switch that you see.  Would be interesting to see what other guitar fanatics are doing with some of these tools.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

QuoteA/B tests might just reveal particular things that one package does better than another.

That's always been my experience - no single product excels at everything.  It's always a downer when you really want your latest toy to blow the old ones away and make them easy to sell.  There's inevitably some favorite sound you can't quite nail.

QuoteAnother thing that has always seemed strangely absent from N.I.'s website is a patch exchange for Guitar Rig.

Yes, and this is something I'm really enjoying with Bias and Jam Up.  Although the implementation has a couple of blind spots, I love the instant gratification of just hitting "Preview" on Tone Cloud and hearing a new amp!  Even the Kemper Profile Exchange is a bit of a hassle by comparison - downloading on PC and shuttling via thumbdrive.  21st century sneakerware LOL!

*Actually just remembered, there is this:  http://www.native-instruments.com/?id=guitarriguserlib

QuoteLFOs, envelope followers, and step sequencers that can be wired into any knob or switch that you see.

And automated in your VST host/ DAW!  It can definitely get crazy.

supernicd

Quote*Actually just remembered, there is this:  http://www.native-instruments.com/?id=guitarriguserlib

Oh, nice!  How did I miss that?  Thanks!

QuoteIt's always a downer when you really want your latest toy to blow the old ones away and make them easy to sell.

Yeah, I am pretty terrible at parting with equipment.  It does not help that the resale value on high-tech stuff is pretty low compared to what you had to pay to get it when it was new in most cases. 

On the RK note, I'm actually kind of eager to see what comes out at NAMM in a few days.  I'm still really searching for a nice, portable high quality interface that works with Win/Mac/iOS, has a mic interface with phantom power available, MIDI in/out, a hi-Z guitar jack, and a low-Z line in all at 96k/24-bit and with high quality A/D conversion.  Headphone and L/R 1/4" out.   With good power options (charge iPad when plugged in, no power required when not using phantom, and battery power for portable phantom.)  Small and portable.  Not a dock, for future-proofing.  The Roland Duo capture EX comes close but fails on the power piece.  Apogee comes close too but fails on the PC side, is expensive, and I'm not a big fan of break out boxes.  Here's hoping!
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteI'm still really searching for a nice, portable high quality interface that works with Win/Mac/iOS, has a mic interface with phantom power available, MIDI in/out, a hi-Z guitar jack, and a low-Z line in all at 96k/24-bit and with high quality A/D conversion.  Headphone and L/R 1/4" out.   With good power options (charge iPad when plugged in, no power required when not using phantom, and battery power for portable phantom.)  Small and portable.  Not a dock, for future-proofing.  The Roland Duo capture EX comes close but fails on the power piece.  Apogee comes close too but fails on the PC side, is expensive, and I'm not a big fan of break out boxes.  Here's hoping!

I lucked out and found a nearly new Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 for $250 - which covers all your needs stated above - except it will not power the iPad, and it requires it's own DC supply.

mbenigni

QuoteOh, nice!  How did I miss that?  Thanks!

No problem.  Like I said, their website is a little weird.  :)

The search for the perfect interface is tough.  Bus-powered is a big requirement for me; I'm easily distracted by extra cables LOL.  Right now, the best options for iOS/Mac exclude PC.  I finally decided to use a different interface for each, and ponied up for the iRig Pro.  I still have a Delta 44, a Firepod, my RK's and an NI Audio Kontrol 1 for the PC stuff.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses.  I actually think the NI interfaces are really good in terms of audio stability - they were the first USB devices to work well for me in Windows 7+ and with USB 3 ports.  My only real complaint about the RK3 is that the switches are so loud.  I know I go on and on about it but hey... music is sound.  Therefore, I prefer musical equipment that doesn't make a bunch of sound I can't control.  Crazy, right?

Elantric

QuoteI was also trying some Frankenstein maneuvers - e.g. Bias amp through Control Room Pro's cabinet & mics.  With some good results!

At this hour it would appear one path to look into is the novel USB Audio interconnectivity option provided by iConnectMIDI 2 Plus (shipping today)

This is the concept of connecting iPad (CCK) to USB port #1, and a PC/Mac to USB port #2 on the   iConnectMIDI 2 Plus  - this (on paper) appears to provide a live 24 bit audio path (and MIDI Control) between iPad and a PC/Mac. ( I should state the Behringer IS-202 Web Page implies it also supports iPad audio to PC/Mac audio connectivity for real time processing - but ive never tried it and we already know the iPad sees the Behringer IS-202 as a 16 bit only Audio interface   -so I lost interest. 

I might pick up a iConnectMIDI 2+  if the damn iConnectMIDI 4+ needs another 6 months before its released.

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus
Use your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch with your Mac/PC like a plugin, controller, and much more!

iConnectMIDI2+completely redefines the concept of a MIDI & audio interface, integrating today's professional multiple-computer set-ups with iOS devices and traditional MIDI hardware.

Not only does iConnectMIDI2+support two computer devices simultaneously – Macs, PCs, and iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) – its Audio passThru™ technology routes audio between them digitally with zero signal degradation, simply appearing as an audio interface to the operating systems.

This combination of audio and MIDI connections has countless applications. A synth running on your iPad could behave as if it were a touch-controlled plug-in running inside your host DAW, or you could process a software instrument in your DAW through an effects processing app like a amp simulator on your iPhone. If you are feeling adventurous you can even use your Mac or PC as a slave to your iOS device. The iConnectMIDI2+ offers seamless integration in all directions.

With all of this connectivity comes possibility and nearly endless options. iConnectivity's iConfig software for Mac, PC, and iOS allows the user complete control over how MIDI is routed, remapped and filtered to and from all devices connected to it.

iConnectMIDI2+ delivers so much more than just a standard 2x2 MIDI interface even though it is at a similar price point. It is a fantastic option for any musician looking to integrate more than one computing device, iOS, or just looking for the most flexible 2x2 MIDI interface in the world

iConnectMIDI2+ Features
2 In & 2 Out Sets of MIDI DIN Connectivity
MultiHost Capability - Connect 2 Computing Devices Simultaneously
Supports MAC, PC, and iOS Computing Devices
Audio passThru™ From One Computing Device To Another
Integrated MIDI Manager With Snapshot Preset Storage - For MIDI Thru, MIDI Merge, Filtering, and Advanced Routing Control
USB MIDI Class Compliant
USB Bus Powered
Supports 10 Ports of 16 Channels of MIDI I/O Per Port
Plug and Play - No Drivers Needed
Charge iOS Devices via Optional Adapter (Not Included)

Minimum System Requirements
Mac OS X 10.4 or greater
1 free USB port   Windows XP SP3 or greater
1 free USB port   iOS 4.0 or greater
CoreMIDI compatible app
*Compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch (4th, and 3rd generation), iPad 3rd generation, iPad 2 and iPad. iOS 4.3 or later is required. iPhone 5, iPod touch 5th generation, iPad 4th generation and iPad mini need Apple's Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (sold separately)*

supernicd

I've heard great things about FocusRite, particularly about the preamps in them.  Looks like Sweetwater has the 18i8 for $350.  I didn't realize they had some of these mobility features that would pair well with iPad - thought they would require a powered USB hub.  Also didn't realize the iConnectMIDI 2 Plus had audio.  I have essentially been ignoring that one and waiting for the 4.

I've been eyeing the iRig Pro too, as it would meet 95% of the iPad needs while being very compact (if not on a feature for feature basis, at least the things that get used 95% of the time - inputs).  And of course the Roland Capture Duo.

I guess at this point I've sat on the fence long enough to see what Winter NAMM brings to the table, or if it causes clearance events on some of the 2013 products. 

Of course there's always some chance no matter how small that Roland will unveil the hexaphonic guitar processor to end all other guitar devices (that is also a class compliant USB MIDI and audio interface) and my budget for 2014 will be blown.  :)  Or maybe not.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteI've heard great things about FocusRite, particularly about the preamps in them.  Looks like Sweetwater has the 18i8 for $350. 

Focusrite Preamps are the best at that pricepoint IMHO - they were the supplier to the original Digidesign  Protools MBOX (before Avid bought M-Audio in 2004 )

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/Getting_Started_Mbox_28599.pdf

QuoteI didn't realize they had some of these mobility features that would pair well with iPad - thought they would require a powered USB hub.

The Bible for latest iPad Audio Interfaces - with comparison of features from several vendors is here:
http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

I've been on a Focusrite buying spree, got a restock 18i20 from Full Compass for $365,

and last year i got a 18i6 for $250 from Amazon used

The only hurdle is they require a PC/Mac to run the Focusrite MixControl app - to configure the Direct Mix On/Off, and in the case of 18i6, configure the inputs from Line to instrument or Mic level. However, both allow these settings to be saved to onboard Flash Memory, and both can work in stand alone hardware mode  - which means the 18i20 can serve as a stand alone 8 Mic Pres to 8 channel Optical ADAT interface box, and the 18I6 can serve as a Mic Pre  - no computer required.

And since both require an external AC Power wart, Both work directly right away with an iPAd+CCK - no powered USB Hub required.

QuoteAlso didn't realize the iConnectMIDI 2 Plus had audio.

Dont get carried away - its USB Audio Passthru only  - there are zero A/D - D/A and Zero Audio Ins or Outs on the iConnectMIDI 2+ or 4+

QuoteI've been eyeing the iRig Pro too, as it would meet 95% of the iPad needs while being very compact (if not on a feature for feature basis, at least the things that get used 95% of the time - inputs).
I love mine, its clean, 24 bit and I still feel its a must have versatile box   - at least this week ;)

But ask me after I get back from NAMM on Jan 27, 2014.

QuoteAnd of course the Roland Capture Duo.

Be sure its the "EX" version

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

supernicd

QuoteI love mine, its clean, 24 bit and I still feel its a must have versatile box   - at least this week ;)

But ask me after I get back from NAMM on Jan 27, 2014.

Count on it. :)
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

QuoteI've been eyeing the iRig Pro too, as it would meet 95% of the iPad needs while being very compact

This was pretty much my line of thinking.  Anything that would have done the job 100% would have been far bigger, so worth having this for iPad and something else for the rest.  I do wonder what stops IK from developing an ASIO/MIDI driver for PC, though - the thing ships with a USB cable after all.

supernicd

The main thing holding me back from iRig Pro is the lack of MIDI Out.  The iRig would work great for writing/recording songs using an iPad.  I am really thinking about getting Lemur and using iPad/Lemur to add a few, simple performance controllers to my gigging keyboard (Roland Juno-G).  It's a great keyboard for gigging purposes but it's main drawback is a lack of built in assignable controllers.

It has a d-beam (fairly useless for my purposes), and a mod wheel which would be OK if it wasn't spring loaded to return to zero.  But not a single assignable button to turn some effect or other setting on/off and hold it there until pressed again.

I also carry a GR-55 to gigs, and same concept applies there.  Just a couple of extra controllers (think 3 or 5-way pickup selector buttons, COSM guitar volume/tone slider, etc.) would go a long way.  :)

I have also been using iPad as a sound generator for a few cases.  For example, Galileo Organ kills for tonewheel organ sounds.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

QuoteThe main thing holding me back from iRig Pro is the lack of MIDI Out.

Yep, this is a bummer.  I wanted MIDI Out so I could route Blueboard events to my KPA.  But it's always something - no product is ever 100% for some reason (I say it's a conspiracy) and eventually you just have to pull the trigger.

QuoteI also carry a GR-55 to gigs, and same concept applies there.  Just a couple of extra controllers (think 3 or 5-way pickup selector buttons, COSM guitar volume/tone slider, etc.) would go a long way.

I get this done with a Missing Link and TouchOSC.  (Or I did at one time; I haven't been playing the GR55 much lately.)  For COSM volume/tone, I'd just as likely use the iPad to re-map the GK Volume control on the fly, since the mechanical pot feels better.  I was big into the concept of "meta-control" or controlling what the controllers do in real time.  I have a lot of YouTube videos cued up in my head on this concept, but actually filming them is such a hassle.   ::)

supernicd

QuoteBut it's always something - no product is ever 100% for some reason (I say it's a conspiracy) and eventually you just have to pull the trigger.

Ha, I think you're right.  If I had a 100% perfect product I would stop spending money.

QuoteFor COSM volume/tone, I'd just as likely use the iPad to re-map the GK Volume control on the fly, since the mechanical pot feels better.

Holy smokes!  Meta-controlling the controller's assignments.  I didn't even realize that was possible.  That actually sounds like a much better approach, like you say, because of having the feel and precision of a physical controller.  Touch screen to switch GK-3 volume knob into GK-3 tone knob and then touch again to switch back.  Mind blown. 
Making quality Youtube videos is a pain.  But if I decide to go this route of iPad as a controller, I may have to bug you with a few questions about this.  :)
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteI am really thinking about getting Lemur and using iPad/Lemur to add a few, simple performance controllers to my gigging keyboard (Roland Juno-G)

I love my  Juno-G ! - Most folks think Juno-60 , yet do not realize the now discontinued Juno-G is 85% of a Fantom-X and takes an SRX board - I've maxed mine out with non documented memory upgrades.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/juno_g.php
Best site for info
http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=52f0135d7f29fa4383abc9bba8dfe701

QuoteI do wonder what stops IK from developing an ASIO/MIDI driver for PC, though - the thing ships with a USB cable after all.

Easy Answer  - look at the difficulty and burden it was for all manufacturers to develop separate ASIO Drivers for WinXP, Win7, Win8, Win8.1 - add that 80% of the USB 3.0 hardware ports that come in most of today's Windows laptops exhibit noise anomalies when performing serious real time bi-directional audio, as occurs when overdubbing in your DAW.   Supporting the version of Windows that ships today ( and the version that ships in 9 months) remains a huge burden for the Audio Interface Vendors , and explains why many simply dont go there. (Apogee comes to mind)

Elantric

QuoteI was big into the concept of "meta-control" or controlling what the controllers do in real time.

This same technique is used in "FCB Booster" - go here to wrap your brain around this MIDI Control strategy which could be expanded for other gear with MIDI control

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32.msg69777#msg69777

Most do this type MIDI Message expansion / reinterpretation with an old laptop and tools found at the MIDI-OX site,
http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Mapping

or use a MIDI Solutions Event Processor+ 

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus

The MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus offers all of the functionality of the MIDI Solutions Event Processor, with 32 settings instead of the Event Processor's 10, and 8 variable storage locations instead of the Event Processor's 2. Each of the Event Processor Plus's 32 settings can be programmed with a unique MIDI processing function. By combining these settings the Event Processor Plus becomes an extremely powerful tool capable of processing MIDI events in almost any way imaginable. You can map MIDI events or ranges of MIDI events to other MIDI events, filter MIDI events or ranges of MIDI events, trigger MIDI events, toggle between MIDI events, sequence through MIDI events, scale or crossfade MIDI messages, transpose notes, scale velocities, map to and from System Exclusive, NRPN, Bank Select messages, store incoming values in variables for later use... the Event Processor is like a swiss army knife of MIDI processing products, an indispensable tool in any MIDI musician's arsenal.

The Event Processor Plus works by comparing each incoming MIDI event with each of its 32 settings. When an incoming MIDI event matches a setting, the event is processed according to that setting. By combining different settings for different incoming events, the Event Processor Plus becomes an extremely powerful tool capable of achieving virtually any combination of MIDI-processing functions.

Following is a list of the Event Processor Plus's functions, but better yet download the Event Processor Plus Programming Tools software and read the Guide to the Event Processor and Event Processor Plus by Bruce Wahler of Ashby Solutions. The Programming Tools software is free for download, quick to install, and contains lots of example files that demonstrate the many applications of the Event Processor Plus. And the Guide to the Event Processor and Event Processor Plus is a comprehensive guide that makes it easy to understand everything these amazing products are capable of!

Filter MIDI Events

Map MIDI Events

Trigger MIDI Events

Cycle Through a Sequence of MIDI Events

Turn Settings On and Off

Store Incoming Values in Variables

supernicd

QuoteI love my  Juno-G ! - Most folks think Juno-60 , yet do not realize the now discontinued Juno-G is 85% of a Fantom-X and takes an SRX board - I've maxed mine out with non documented memory upgrades.

Ditto that.  It's really quite powerful for the price point they sold it at.  I think it shares the same sound engine as the Fantom-X, and is a lot more akin to a workstation than other Junos.  And with the v2 firmware upgrade [in what appears to be a rare feat for Roland, giving out new features in an existing product] they even gave it sampling capabilities!  I was lucky enough pick one up very reasonably on clearance when they discontinued them.   The only thing is that the displays on them are notoriously faulty.  I already had mine go bad.  Roland did pay to have it replaced.  Fingers crossed that they replaced it with something that won't wig out in the future.

QuoteMost do this type MIDI Message expansion / reinterpretation with an old laptop and tools found at the MIDI-OX site,
http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Mapping

or use a MIDI Solutions Event Processor+ 

Thanks, I will give the above links a read.  I'm wondering if they iPad and Lemur might be able to do this without additional hardware.  Lemur seems pretty powerful and has a scripting engine.  It is also 1/2 off for a few more days.  Will do some more research!
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

QuoteBut if I decide to go this route of iPad as a controller, I may have to bug you with a few questions about this.

I'd be happy to help.  I imagine you could get similar things done with Lemur or any other software/interface combination that lets you send SysEx from the iPad to the GR55.  If you want to save some time, download the TouchOSC editor for PC/Mac (free on hexler.net) and then download my template file, attached on this thread:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6501.0

You can use the editor to select controls on my design, and copy/paste the corresponding SysEx into whatever tool you use.  (I stole a lot of this SysEx from gumtown's Floorboard editor, so just paying the favor along.)  For this "meta-control" concept, pay particular attention to the CTL and EXP pages of my template.  The on-screen controls here reprogram what the GK volume, expression pedal, and GK1/2 switches target.