Line 6 VDI Interface

Started by Elantric, January 30, 2015, 09:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnMcCHavs

I just ask for a full Vdi solution. on Line6 Ideas.. let's hope (don't be anxious, Chistian, I voted for your idea too, of course).

Let's go, friends !

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/85746

Cups79

I had almost given up on this until I came across WiDi and thought I'd
Check back here to see if there was any progress- this is very promising. I am going to set up a test rig to see if I can attack the AES piece which seemed to be the last piece of the puzzle. My thinking is that AES does a 'handshake' at the start to synchronise the clocks. I'm wondering if helix gets a valid aes handshake on the vdi port it will enable the MIDI signal. Then it might be possible to do a hybrid wireless audio/Widi dongle. I'll feedback my results but was hoping someone here might have already tried something similar?

kbzona

Hello, for a long time ive been wanting to make this box but only for the AES/EBU output...
Ive gathered all the parts required

I managed at least to have a working power supply and havent fried anything yet and my VARIAX 300 is turning on with the VDI cable connected to the 7v power supply
But unfortunately im not getting anything from AES/EBU signal

This diagram is what i currently have

I suspect that my cheap aliexpress Digital to analog box is guilty
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004370774765.html?algo_exp_id=a83fc51e-e133-4f10-aec3-dfb3b01af99e-3

But reading specs it supports PCM @ 96hz but all i get is a  very annoying sound
(I know the converter is working as i tested in a TV and although if im using "Dolby" as output it makes the same noise but as soon as i change it to PCM in the TV it works correctly)

If anyone can help me here i would really appreciate

Thanks in advance

PS: AES/EBU cables are connected to the cannare XLR transformer to 2 and 3 holes but tried other combinations too and nothing happens

Elantric

Elantric

WillerZ

I built a VDI interposer that allows me to capture all the midi messages sent from a line 6 effects unit (in my case a Pod HD Pro - the rack version of the HD 500). Here's the hex of the midi that it sends on startup when my JTV is connected:

F0 00 01 0C 07 00 2A 01 F7    <- This is nearly the same as the one people have been quoting in this thread, and probably is just a newer way to get the same effect

There's a pause here of about 265 ms, but this may not be necessary --

F0 7E 7F 06 01 F7              <- This is a standard message asking all attached midi devices to identify themselves
F0 00 01 0C 07 0F 2A 01 F7
F0 00 01 0C 07 05 2A 01 F7
F0 00 01 0C 07 05 69 01 F7
F0 00 01 0C 07 05 6A 01 F7
F0 00 01 0C 07 05 6D F7
F0 00 01 0C 07 05 1E F7
F0 00 01 0C 14 00 01 00 6E 03 02 03 06 03 02 03 00 F7

After this it sends the preset-specific variax settings. Worth knowing that it doesn't have the responses from the JTV identifying itself before sending most of this block, so it's not model-specific.

I don't know what most of these sysex messages actually do, but replaying them through a breakout box I made lets me get mags and synth separated over AES.

Other sysex you might want to know:

This sets custom tuning to -7 on each string (baritone):
F0 00 01 0C 07 05 52 04 0F 09 0F 09 0F 09 0F 09 0F 09 0F 09 F7

This clears custom tuning:
F0 00 01 0C 07 05 52 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7

-- Phil

Elantric

Excellent work!

Thanks , with luck and percivierence maybe we can document other VDI handshakes

QuoteI built a VDI interposer that allows me to capture all the midi messages sent from a line 6 effects unit (in my case a Pod HD Pro - the rack version of the HD 500).

Would be ideal if we could have a common VDI Test Adapter with functional block diagram with pics -then others could provide VDI MIDI SYSEX  messages from Vetta, D50, Helix, POD XT Live , Firehawk - connected to Variax 300, 500, 600, JTV, Variax 700 Acoustic

cags12

I have actually done some progress on a Variax MIDI reference guide also with the support of other individuals who have also contributed. I provide this to those who buy a modified WIDI unit from me.

I think for the most part, this is all anyone would need to control the Variax over standard MIDI

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wk0zqzoSnTjkhNObAkS0ayvFUUHgC_T7AJMKnPY6dcs

kbzona

Hello, i think im lost

This is what I currently have wired

Im sending the SYSEX hex command with MIDI-OX, and the Usb Midi Interface lights up when I send the SYSEX but the DA Box still has that annoying sound through it. so i guess, the AES/Ebu didnt started as expected. 

At least the VARIAX is turned on with the VDI cable attached and powered through the 7V power supply

But Im unable to get the AES/Ebu output to work

I would really appreciate some help please

Thanks in advance

cags12

Quote from: kbzona on October 11, 2023, 11:54:38 AMHello, i think im lost

This is what I currently have wired

Im sending the SYSEX hex command with MIDI-OX, and the Usb Midi Interface lights up when I send the SYSEX but the DA Box still has that annoying sound through it. so i guess, the AES/Ebu didnt started as expected. 

At least the VARIAX is turned on with the VDI cable attached and powered through the 7V power supply

But Im unable to get the AES/Ebu output to work

I would really appreciate some help please

Thanks in advance

I would no know how to help further as I have not tried this myself but I suspect your DA box might be the issue. Who is the master clock here, I do not think the Variax is and not sure you DA box is either.

kbzona

Quote from: cags12 on October 12, 2023, 04:53:44 AMI would no know how to help further as I have not tried this myself but I suspect your DA box might be the issue. Who is the master clock here, I do not think the Variax is and not sure you DA box is either.

Thanks for answering, I have the same thoughts about the cheap 4 usd aliexpress DA Box i bought ::)  ,
I think I'll just buy the FiiO D3 DAC Box suggested by Elantric and hopefully it will work right away

Elantric

Quote from: Elantric on January 30, 2015, 09:31:21 AMAll Variax's employ the Line -6  VDI 8 pin CAT-5 RJ-45 Interface.

This transports standard 24 bit  AES/EBU Digital Audio and standard MIDI I/O
http://bencraven.com/?p=1616

Its possible to design an interface that allows the Variax to be a MIDI controller for third party gear  - using a MIDI Solutions Processor Plus

Or the opposite - use MIDI to remote control the settings on the Variax Guitar

Must initiate AES/EBU and MIDI I/O by transmitting to Variax the special MIDI SYSEX MESSAGE -Its contained within the graphic of this photo at center bottom

SYSEX F0 00 01 0C 07 00  2A F7

Contact Ben Craven -

Original source was old Vettaville.nl site

https://web.archive.org/web/20160320200554/http://bencraven.com/?p=1616

https://groupdiy.com/threads/adapting-s-pdif-input-to-accommodate-aes-ebu.70758/

kbzona

Finally managed to get the MIDI IN and OUT working correctly and now my VARIAX is correctly processing the SYSEX Wake command and I gets recognized and I can see the Midi messages sent by the guitar.

Unfortunately AES/Ebu part is still not working,  I tested the AES/EBU wires and i get continuity with my multimeter so the wires are not broken

So, the last thing to do is to change my cheap aliexpress converter and get the FiiO to work with the AES/Ebu signal correctly

Finally the FiiO D03K arrived and AES/EBU finally works!! ---  VARIAX super toolbox with MIDI control and DIGITAL output completed!!!   Thanks for all the help, and a big shout out to Ben Craven wherever you are!

NOTE:  AES/EBU doesn't need SYSEX Wake up command...

kbzona

Hello again!, after successfully finishing the VDI interface, the only thing that i need to do is change the cheap aliexpress powersupply that i bought... It introduces too much noise..

I was wondering if I can just use the original variax 9V power supply? or will it fry my variax changing from 7v to 9v ?
Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance

rockmancentralbob

Quote from: kbzona on October 14, 2023, 07:28:41 PMFinally the FiiO D03K arrived and AES/EBU finally works!! ---  VARIAX super toolbox with MIDI control and DIGITAL output completed!!!   Thanks for all the help, and a big shout out to Ben Craven wherever you are!

Can you post a summary of what you did to get this to work? 
I just pulled the guts out of a JTV-89F and am going to Rack mount it.
I'd really like to have MIDI control over it to change sounds and also for the digital output.

Much appreciate it and congrats on getting it working!

ashasha3

Really appreciate the info in this thread.  I just picked up a JTV59 and was able to put an old m-Audio MIDISport 2x2 inline with the USB interface (on the RJ45 side obviously).  Why would someone do that?  Well the 2x2 has the ability to act as either a USB interface (allowing MIDI communication with other apps or devices) OR as a MIDI pass through which basically feeds the USB interface for the WorkBench HD software.

I also had an old Kramer 6410 laying around which converts the AES output to analog so I can feed my audio interface.  Then I bought a decent buck converter with shunt protection (just to be safe).  Hardest part was making a neat cable for it all.

So essentially I have a single VDI cable from my JTV59 that powers the guitar and then provides an AES signal and MIDI to the PC where I can switch presets on the guitar and with the press of a button I can load and edit in WorkBench HD.

You should be able to work all of this out using the details in here...the only thing that I had to figure out was that pin 1 on the RJ45 feeding the USB device is ground (as indicated), but has to be connected to the guitar's pin 1 in order for it to be detected as connected to the interface.  The MIDI in/out are exactly the same (brown and green wires) as the picture.

cags12

Quote from: ashasha3 on February 06, 2024, 11:05:40 AMReally appreciate the info in this thread.  I just picked up a JTV59 and was able to put an old m-Audio MIDISport 2x2 inline with the USB interface (on the RJ45 side obviously).  Why would someone do that?  Well the 2x2 has the ability to act as either a USB interface (allowing MIDI communication with other apps or devices) OR as a MIDI pass through which basically feeds the USB interface for the WorkBench HD software.

I also had an old Kramer 6410 laying around which converts the AES output to analog so I can feed my audio interface.  Then I bought a decent buck converter with shunt protection (just to be safe).  Hardest part was making a neat cable for it all.

So essentially I have a single VDI cable from my JTV59 that powers the guitar and then provides an AES signal and MIDI to the PC where I can switch presets on the guitar and with the press of a button I can load and edit in WorkBench HD.

You should be able to work all of this out using the details in here...the only thing that I had to figure out was that pin 1 on the RJ45 feeding the USB device is ground (as indicated), but has to be connected to the guitar's pin 1 in order for it to be detected as connected to the interface.  The MIDI in/out are exactly the same (brown and green wires) as the picture.

SO you know, you do not need the Variax USB interface to connect to Workbench software. Workbench software detects every USB MIDI interface (including the MIDI sport) and tries to talk to the Variax on them. Basically you can bypass the Variax USB interface