GR55 Guitar and mix problem

Started by LeftyKev, November 24, 2016, 03:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeftyKev

Hi folks. I got myself a GR20 a month ago and loved it. Being a big kid I then bought a GR55, I thought I had set it up properly. Problem is, using the mono output from the mono/l I'm getting no guitar sound at all on the guitar and mix toggles. Plug in GR20 - brill, plug in GR55 no guitar sound. I'm mystified but hoping I've done something dumb. The output setting doesn't solve it. hhheeeellllpppppp........

admin

gumtown

Most of the GR-55 factory patches are setup for modelled guitar only, no normal pickup (N.P.U)

There is also a system setting to change to have the GK pickup mix/synth/guitar switch do as you would 'traditionally' expect (like on the GR-20).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

LeftyKev

Thanks Gumtree. I've tried the "how to make switch work" and it doesn't solve it. I know have put a standard 1/4 lead on as well and all three positions now have regular guitar so when I switch from GR55 to guitar I have to roll the volume up and down. Also, another "joy" is on the gr20 the Patch advance works,  on the GR55 it advances a bank at a time not a patch at a time. Aarrgghh. Me thinks I've made a very expensive mistake.

HecticArt

Lefty,
I'd have to see your setup to know if you've got everything connected correctly, but you should be able to find the menu setting that lets you switch between magnetic pickups only, mag+hex, and hex only. As long as the particular patch that you're working with is set up to use both, you should be fine. With a 1/4" cord going from your guitar out into your GK-3, you should be set.

As for the select buttons, S1 and S2 are programmed to switch by bank, not individual patch by default. I've never bothered to see if there's a setting that lets you advance by individual patch. Personally, I like switching by bank, it's less clicking to get where I need to be. A couple of quick clicks and a toe tap and I'm where I need to be.

There are a LOT of settings on the 55, and it can take some time to get used to them. Keep reading here, and stay patient. It'll come around.

LeftyKev

Hi guys........
I've spent days on this and no closer to a solution - can anyone please help.
I have a Taylor T3 with a GK kit fitted
On the GR20 using the 13 pin only the synth, mix, guitar works fine.

On the GR55 it doesn't even following the advice given. If I use a standard lead so I can flick to my guitar then I have to keep rolling off the volume in synth mode as it is a permanent "mix" switch. I can't work like this as I flick between guitar and synth on the fly.

Also, when using a patch the volume can fade and actually stop working. I then have to go to another patch to get volume back. I have two quality leads so I'm confident it isn't that.

I have set the scale to 632mm as per Taylor's site info. I get ghost notes, no notes......

I really want to like this pedal but I need some help, why Roland don't produce a DVD on this I don't know.

It's obviously me but I don't know how to fix it, it's almost too complicated to use for simple things. Play guitar - flick switch to synth - play sax solo - flick switch to guitar only - carry on with song.

Pleeeeeeeeeease help me o experienced clever peeps.

mockchoi

You tried this?

1) Go to System

PEDAL/GK CTL (enter)

Tab over to VOL
    If you want to be able to hear the normal guitar when your switch is in the "GUITAR" position, change GK VOL to "TONE VOLUME", and turn NORMAL PU "OFF".  With the switch in MIX, you'll hear both the GK knob output, and your normal guitar output, with independent control for each.  In GK position, you'll just hear COSM/PCM sounds, and in GUITAR, just the normal guitar.

You can definitely use the S1/S2 button to change patch rather than bank.

LeftyKev

Thanks mockchoi - I have tried this but to no avail, hence my plea for help. It works ok on the GR-20 on 13 pin only but not on the GR-55 even doing what you suggest. If I add a standard guitar lead in the synth only position I still get the guitar and have to roll the volume off. This is no good to me as it stands. Any other ideas out there folks. K

Elantric

Read the full thread here:

GR-55 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137

and specifically

* How to enable "Normal Guitar Pickups" and make the GK-3 Guitar/Mix/Synth three-way switch work with the GR-55:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

How to make the GK-3 three-way switch work like the GR-20, when connected to the GR-55:

Paults wrote>
Quote1) Go to System

PEDAL/GK CTL (enter)

Tab over to VOL
    If you want to be able to hear the normal guitar when your switch is in the "GUITAR" position, change GK VOL to "TONE VOLUME", and turn NORMAL PU "OFF".  With the switch in MIX, you'll hear both the GK knob output, and your normal guitar output, with independent control for each.  In GK position, you'll just hear COSM/PCM sounds, and in GUITAR, just the normal guitar.

The other advantage to "TONE VOLUME" is it lets the guitar models be much more responsive and expressive.

The GK settings can also be changed per patch, but this is based on the factory settings. I'm used to having my VG set up this way, so this setting may stay global for me.