GR-55- Acoustic guitar-GR55

Started by pedwards2932, October 13, 2016, 03:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedwards2932

Our band is going to downsize to play less dance type of gigs and more acoustic.  I am planning to put a GK pickup on my Washburn acoustic and use the GR55 for acoustic modeling as well as some selected synth stuff (mostly strings).  I am really more of an electric guitar player and the strings on my Acoustic are hard on my hands.  Mainly I find it difficult do stretches and bends.  I was thinking of going to really light guage strings because I am going to use the modeling and am not as concerned about the acoustic tone and was wondering if anyone had tried this?  The only reason I am not using my electric with the acoustic modeling is for the visual aspect.....for some reason if your playing an electric no matter how good the modeling it visually looks like you are playing an electric.

gumtown

Regular electric steel strings on the acoustic?
It would 'feel' more like an electric.

The acoustic should be OK if you don't use alternate tunings, and don't monitor too loud, as they can feedback from hollow body resonance.

Don't know if you can find/build a solid body electric which 'looks like' an acoustic.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

pedwards2932

I wouldn't think they would feedback if I was only using the synth pickup as my Washburn has no pickup strictly acoustic.  I kind of want it to feel like an electric but sound like an acoustic.  Also I have a VG 99 would that have better acoustic sounds than the GR-55?

Elantric

QuoteI wouldn't think they would feedback if I was only using the synth pickup as my Washburn has no pickup strictly acoustic.  I kind of want it to feel like an electric but sound like an acoustic.  Also I have a VG 99 would that have better acoustic sounds than the GR-55?

A regular hollow body Acoustic guitar with GK-3 WILL FEEDBACK at high volumes because the GR-55 synth  are same pitch ( frequency) as the strings and the guitar strings easily bursts into a sound similar to opening of Beatles " I feel fine"

You must adopt a careful string dampening palm muting technique to manage runaway feedback if you play loud.

QuoteDon't know if you can find/build a solid body electric which 'looks like' an acoustic.
Line-6 did that in 2005 with the Line-6 Variax Acoustic solid body -

many do mount an internal GK 3 on those for the visual appeal of playing what looks like an Acoustic guitar at the gigs.

See

They are Listening with their Eyes
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4900.0
The tip jar fills faster when audience believes you are playing what appears to be a genuine acoustic instrument

pedwards2932

Could I put something in the hole to dampen the acoustic?  I don't think we are going to play at high volumes.  We are planning to use a system similar to the Bose line array....I want to try the Turbosound IP2000.  I haven't found anyone yet that has tried this system so I am probably going to gamble at try it anyway.....I think will have 30 days to return so it isn't a big gamble.

Elantric

Fill the guitar with cotton batting and install a cover on the sound hole ( many use a rubber stopper) works to minimize resonant feedback
D'Addario Planet Waves Screaching Halt Guitar Soundhole Plug 
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Hole-Covers.gc

This stuff works
http://www.parts-express.com/acousta-stuf-polyfill-speaker-cabinet-sound-damping-material-1-lb-bag--260-317

Hint: this performs equally well
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YZ7G44/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_03_01_t_ttl_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

pedwards2932

Cool I'll give that a whirl.....I was thinking about using styrofoam packing peanuts but the cotton looks like it would work fine.  I am trying to use what I already have as I don't want to buy another guitar until I see where this project goes. Which do you think would have better acoustic sounds the GR55 or VG99......I don't want to by a GP-10 because I already have the other 2 units.

Elantric

QuoteGR55 or VG99

It's subject to taste -both are comparable

VG- 99 with dual COSM Modeling has an edge

Try our Acoustic patches for each for programing ideas

And review Autana's GP-10 Acoustic patches in Boss Tone Studio for his secrets

pedwards2932

Well I filled my Washburn with polyfill (used for making dolls etc) put a set of Ernie Ball electric .010 to .047 on and then mounted the GK2 with double back foam tape.  Adjusted the pickup for the GR55 and it seems to really work great.  I am using an Acoustid/12 string preset and it sounds more trebley than I like but I can EQ that out but I think I will check out some of the Acoustic models that people have posted here.  The acoustic sound of the guitar is really deadened almost to the level of an electric and with the lighter gauge on the strings it plays really easily.  Think this is going to work for me.

pedwards2932

Went to practice last night and the guitar sounds great on the practice PA not as trebly as it was in the headphones.  I think this going to work great for what we are attempting.  It plays much easier with the electric strings.  Don't have as much access to high side of the neck but I don't intend to use that much anyway.  Really cool!