VG-99 - Noise when using steel guitars

Started by topido, January 07, 2017, 08:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

Please let us know what solved your problem, if you find a solution. And don't give up.

topido

Quote from: mooncaine on January 31, 2017, 10:21:50 AM
Please let us know what solved your problem, if you find a solution. And don't give up.

Of course. I am away from home but I'll try when I come back :)

topido

Quote from: admsustainiac on January 18, 2017, 09:56:39 AM
Anything else in the recorded signal chain?

Try monitoring from VG-99 Headphone Output

Ok I tried with headphone and same problem.
Now it's time for me to learn how to level up the action of a floyd rose (new adventure ;) ).

topido

And... the noise is gone.

I took off the strings, I cleaned the whole guitar and put some new string and... no more noise.  ??? ??? I just don't get it. Maybe some dust or... can it be because the strings were old? I just don't get it.

Anyway, problem solved :)

Brent Flash

Quote from: topido on February 20, 2017, 11:10:13 AM
And... the noise is gone.

I took off the strings, I cleaned the whole guitar and put some new string and... no more noise.  ??? ??? I just don't get it. Maybe some dust or... can it be because the strings were old? I just don't get it.

Anyway, problem solved :)
I have not followed this complete thread but maybe the new strings improved the grounding in some way. Just a guess!  ;)

topido

Heeeem.
Seems like it's not completely gone. I can still get that noise with the A string mainly.
I'm gonna try to level up the action and go back after that.

topido

And that was it!

I upped the action on the E-A-D side and no more noise (and the action is still lower than 2mm so good ;) ).

Solved (again ;)).

mooncaine

I rediscovered this tip recently, as I learned an acoustic part for Pink Floyd's "Hey You" on my VG: when you're using a steel string sim, don't pick so close to the bridge.

When I play electric guitar, my hand's usually closer to the bridge than it is when playing an acoustic. That makes it sound different. If your acoustic sim sounds harsh and brittle (I call it 'crispy'), try moving your picking hand closer to the neck.

It ain't perfect: my acoustic sims just don't let me play close to the bridge. That's a bit of a bummer because finger picking gets way harder, for me, the further I move from the bridge... but it's not a big deal to me either way because I use ac. sims seldom, I don't do a lot of fingerpicking and I sure as heck don't play fast flatpicking like Doc Watson.

I am about to go through the bouncy acoustic part on the Yes song, 'Starship Trooper,' and I might just dial up a warmer, fatter sound for that so that I can keep my hand nearer the bridge... but it might not work.