VG-99 - Librarian Categories & Memos)

Started by solidac, August 23, 2016, 08:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solidac

Howdy. I've been checking info here for a few days as i work through getting to know my new secret weapon, ye ol' VG-99 ;D . I do have a few questions that i can't easily find the answers to, but i'll keep searching as these brick walls on the path to getting to grips with what's on offer are encountered. They are mainly to do with control assignments and will no doubt also be to do with FC-300 and midi when we get to that. But as i say, i'd rather not ask questions that have already been answered

Here's a question that hasn't been addressed, although i think the answer is obvious! Here goes anyways..

With the Librarian program (PC), can the 4 Memo fields in the main window be made to stick? Is that text saved to the VG when it's written across? If it is, i'm not seeing it come back when it's read.  ???  Soo, if it doesn't get transferred, i'm thinking it's really only there so that patches can be transferred from the other windows (g9l files).

If this is true, and because the Category for each patch is not easily sorted by any other means that i can find (well, except in the actual VG of course..), :o means a lot of hard work that could have been avoided (if either memos stayed with the patch OR categories were shown in the Librarian). I know, right. What was i thinking? A system not requiring annoying work arounds?  8)

Anyway. I hope i'm overlooking something here coz needing to sort the patches i like from the Presets into logical user memory slots before i get too carried away with the edits..

Cheers.
and thanks for any help on this

Godin LGXT + VG-99 + FC-300 &
MKS-500, a hybrid mono mode synth that should be a good match
(famous for the 'Hoover' patch) + PG-300 programmer to suit

Elantric

AFAIK - the "memos" field text for VG-99 patch descriptions in the VG-99 Librarian remain visible only in the VG-99 Librarian app when you perform a save.

learn more about the Roland VG-99 Librarian functions here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=822.0

Roland Librarian "How To doc - courtesy of Roland UK

http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/INFOCUS02.pdf

solidac

Yep. They are only visible in the librarian. I got that. What I don't yet understand, is what is the point? Can only guess it's for anyone that wants to pretty much work from the g9I files and keep that synced with any fresh edits, etc

Well. That doesn't help the creative flow and ain't gonna happen. So reckon I'll just be using these memo fields to get things organised the first time round and pretty much rely on the Category filter thereon after

I could be proven wrong, but not expecting to outgrow the 200 slots anytime soon. Really favour the idea of limiting the range of sounds to signature patches that I get to know and create variations for. That might change but it's the same approach I try take with synths. Usually failing, but still trying to rationalise my time. ie., more for making music, less for endless tweaking

Bottom line is, it would be great if the Memo fields were preserved when patches moved to and from the VG, but they don't so we work around.  ::). Just an inconvenience. Hardly a show stopper

admin

Most use a creative patch naming convention for organizing patches

solidac

ithink the point was lost, but that's not surprising. Don't think this would worry too many out there. And i can't be bothered sussing it out frankly. Creative naming it is! And probably categories

aliensporebomb

I thought all 200 of my writable patches would take eons to fill up.  They're all filled up.  90% are ones I made myself.  I almost need another 99 to have another 200!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.