Just for fun... GR55/RC300

Started by Cricket, October 18, 2013, 08:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cricket

A cover I've always wanted to try.  Just for fun.  I intentionally added noise looking for a lo-fi vibe, which may not have been wise, heh, heh.  Enjoy.

Or not.

No actual mice were harmed in the making of this recording.  ;D

Peace,

C

shawnb

Cricket -

You do the best GR-55 sax, I'm insanely jealous.  Well done.  Your performance is spot-on and it's downright shocking how few mice were slaughtered. 

If you could, I'd really like to see a snapshot of your GK3 mount on that guitar, especially focusing on the bridge & GK3.  Also, any info on your mount would be appreciated, distance in mm to bridge & distance in mm to strings. 

Shawn

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

papabuss

C, that's amazing. Please post the patch.  :)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Cricket

Quote from: shawnb on October 18, 2013, 01:05:46 PM
Cricket -

You do the best GR-55 sax, I'm insanely jealous.  Well done.  Your performance is spot-on and it's downright shocking how few mice were slaughtered. 

If you could, I'd really like to see a snapshot of your GK3 mount on that guitar, especially focusing on the bridge & GK3.  Also, any info on your mount would be appreciated, distance in mm to bridge & distance in mm to strings. 

Shawn

Thanks.  Glad you liked it.

Here are some pics... best my cheapo camera will do.

Guitar is an 80s MIM Tele and it's not string-through.   The strings are top-loaded through the bridge plate.  So the GK is almost right up against the saddle screws.   There's just a hair's clearance between them.  From string to pickup is just about 1mm, give or take, on all strings.  Maybe just over 1mm open and just under fretted at the top fret.  The little L-shaped gauge that comes with the GK3 slips under easily but there's little room left.

From center of saddle to center of pickup poles is:

6 - 14.5mm
5 - 13mm
4 - 12mm
3 - 13mm
2 - 12mm
1 - 11.5mm

The pickup itself is mounted with just the double-sided tape. 

Cricket

Quote from: papabuss on October 18, 2013, 01:16:41 PM
C, that's amazing. Please post the patch.  :)

Thanks.  I'll try.   I have not yet been able to get the 55 and my computer to play nice.  Have the floorboard, driver &c., but it never seems to be able to find the 55.  I'll have another go at sorting that out.  Probably doing something small but dumb...  :P

shawnb

AHA!!!   I was wondering if it was a tele!  I think there's something about the simplicity of the bridge that allows you to get the GK very, very close.  Remember a while back we were talking about this video:

On this thread:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8586.msg61586#msg61586

At around 0:11, you get a pretty good view of his bridge, and the GK is basically right on top of it...

These are two very good GR-55 performances, tackling the GR-55's weaker spots (piano, sax), with very few issues, and they are both on tele's.   

I wonder if there are other bridges that enable even closer mounting? 

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

OR...  Another thought...  Maybe it has nothing to do with the distance at all (it's only a few mm closer than mine, on a Floyd Rose)...   Note that these GKs are actually mounted **ON** the bridge...  I wonder if that helps with crisper note detection?   Hmmm...   

Oh, to have about a dozen guitars to play with...

Cricket

Quote from: shawnb on October 18, 2013, 06:05:31 PM
OR...  Another thought...  Maybe it has nothing to do with the distance at all (it's only a few mm closer than mine, on a Floyd Rose)...   Note that these GKs are actually mounted **ON** the bridge...  I wonder if that helps with note detection?   Hmmm...   

Oh, to have about a dozen guitars to play with...

I don't know, myself... I only have the one guitar.  Honestly, when I first got it, I pretty much just slapped the pickup on in what appeared to be about the right place to try everything out, figuring I could always change it.  I did adjust the height with that gauge (more or less) and measure and dial in the saddle-to-polepiece distance.  Worked fine, I thought, and that "test run" lasted me almost two years.

The adhesive was starting to go recently and so I took it off and remounted it.  The second mount was about 2mm closer and, as you can see, I can't mount it any closer now than it is.  And it still works fine, though I'm not sure if it's better than it was or not.

It was within Roland specs before though, which ought to be enough.

I've been very curious to try a Gittler with a synth.  You pretty much have to drive to NY to do that, though.  There was a thread a while back plugging it.  I requested a video showing it with a synth but none has been forthcoming.  A little silly, in a way, to plug the guitar here without demonstrating its "vguitar potential," as it were.

I suppose Roland makes even more questionable marketing choices, though:  ignoring the people who actually buy and use their products, in the hopes that a younger demographic may spontaneously decide to go that route?  Or something.  This is what I call "free market efficiency."   ;D

whippinpost91850

Wow! Just had a listen . This is exceptional. fantastic sax sound

Cricket

Quote from: Cricket on October 18, 2013, 04:28:53 PM
Thanks.  I'll try.   I have not yet been able to get the 55 and my computer to play nice.  Have the floorboard, driver &c., but it never seems to be able to find the 55.  I'll have another go at sorting that out.  Probably doing something small but dumb...  :P

Ok... here's an attempt to share the patch.   Still not totally sure what I'm doing, so maybe if someone downloads it you can let me know if I did this correctly?

If not, I'll try and sort things out again.

If the patch is loaded correctly and works, n.b. that CTL is a momentary ring modulator for a tiny bit of sax "growl."  Use sparingly.

Peace,

C

admin

admin

QuoteI've been very curious to try a Gittler with a synth.  You pretty much have to drive to NY to do that, though.  There was a thread a while back plugging it.  I requested a video showing it with a synth but none has been forthcoming.  A little silly, in a way, to plug the guitar here without demonstrating its "vguitar potential," as it were.

Totally agree!  Its style over function IMHO. the gittler "stealth hex PU -being so far away from the strings, due to basic physics and high mag flux creates high  Crosstalk from adjacent strings and will wreak havoc with DSP Generated Alt Tunings and GTR- to MIDI.
The fact that after 6 months of being available, they have zero youtube videos demonstrating gittler guitar to MIDI and not a lot of traffic on their forum speaks volumes.
http://gittlerinstruments.com/guitar-forum

http://gittlerinstruments.com/guitar-forum?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1.0#postid-9

papabuss

Quote from: Cricket on October 19, 2013, 10:54:23 AM
Ok... here's an attempt to share the patch.   Still not totally sure what I'm doing, so maybe if someone downloads it you can let me know if I did this correctly?
C, THX for posting the patch. I'll check it asap :)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)