iPad Mini w/Retina offer from my phone provider: worth getting for the apps?

Started by cooltouch, November 26, 2013, 02:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooltouch

Just recently I've been thinking about tablets and whether or not I should go with an Android for much less than an Apple, or an iPad. I'm an Android user when it comes to my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S4 -- a great phone), but because of the continuing problem with Android's fundamental issues regarding latency and with no solutions for this even on the horizon, I've gotta bias my thinking now more strongly toward an iPad, just for this reason. Apple's prices are, and have always been, obscene in my view -- and I really don't like encouraging their behavior by supporting them through a purchase.  But I really have to get past this because I can't deal with the latency problems of Android. So I'm stuck having to support a brand that I don't approve of because they have what I need.  I have an iPod Touch 4G, but I bought it used, so I don't feel like I'm supporting Apple when I buy used.  8)

MY cell phone provider is T-Mobile. I got an email from them today, offering the subject iPad, the Mini 16GB with Retina display, and one must assume, the phone as well,  for 0 down and 24 months at $22/mo. Now, I'm sure if I were to buy it direct for the full selling price, I might be able to save money, but I'd still have to go with a cell provider if I wanted to access the internet. True, when at home I could use its wireless feature for that -- I already do that with my iPod 4g -- but I can see myself using this thing frequently when not at home. I already do this a lot with my Galaxy S4, albeit not for live music situations.

As I browse through the forums here, I frequently come across threads where folks are discussing the use of their iPads for various software -- and sometimes even hardware -- applications.  I haven't paid much attention since I don't have an iPad. But now, with this offer, I guess I should pay closer attention.

I don't play live gigs right now. That might change in the future, but for now and the foreseeable future I don't. I do have a DAW, which I use for music composition and recording. It does a good job. I've recorded two CDs so far using this setup. Now, I know IK Multimeda and a host of others, no doubt, offer a bewildering variety of software apps and hardware that can be used with the iPad. But again, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to what's being offered. Seems like a lot are centered around "the mix," meaning they have mixers and  perhaps other useful devices as well.  For me, though, when it comes to music applications, this iPad would be used primarily for music composition, and some music recording.

As a guitarist who currently owns a GR-33 and in the future who will own either a YouRock Guitar or a FTP, I have my eye set toward what would be most useful to use with these devices. I also have an original plain-jane iRig so I can get guitar audio into the mix as well.  Just today, I discovered the iOS app Midimorphesis by Secret Bass Design. I haven't tried it out yet, but the videos they have there sure make it look interesting. So that's also another iOS possibility I can consider.  Anyway, yes, I can still use my DAW for all of this, certainly, but then I'm chained to it.

So I guess what I would like to hear from you if you'd care to respond would be what you like most about your iPad and what your favorite apps and devices are.

Also, I haven't done much with my iPod 4g, other than buy the original iRig for it and download the free apps from IK Multimedia, but I guess I'm also wondering how much of what is done with an iPad can also be done on an iPod -- and is there a big reason to get an iPad because of something that an iPod may lack. I just don't know, although it certainly seems that an iPad's form factor would make it more useful, even the Mini version. The much larger screen, by comparison, is bound to make it easier to run some apps on the iPad than on the iPod.  So any advice in this regard would be very helpful, including pointing me toward any info out there that would help. I like to be as informed as possible before I make a purchase. I've been burned too often in the past, buying gear before I had become familiar with just exactly what its capabilities were.

As for a specific iPad to iPod capabilities comparison, as pertains to music apps, I've tried doing some google searches, but most of what I find have to do with content management or transferring iPod data to an iPad.  So far, nothing useful.

So, care to chime in?  I about halfway expect Elantric to respond, pointing me to one or more threads where this very topic has been discussed. Oh well. But just so's you know, I have looked and I have searched. Didn't really find anything very germane.
Best,
Michael

Elantric

My 2 cents - 16GB is barely adequate for an iPad

I Admit I'm a bit of an "IOS app-oholic", so when i load my purchased IOS apps - those alone eat up 33GB of room - this is before I install any itunes music, videos, PDF docs, etc. and explains why I opted for the 128GB iPad.

My iPad Mini is 32GB, so I had to hold back and uninstall some apps to make room for recordings, music, and PDF docs. 

Here is my rundown of  IOS apps and  size.

Notion   = 1.6GB
Guitarplayer Top 40 licks = 1.5GB
Auria multiTrack DAW = 1.2GB
SampleTank  = 1.1GB
Garageband = 734MB
Beatmaker2  = 720MB
JamUpPro = 668MB
iMovie = 664MB
MusicStudio = 545MB
Progression = 512MB
Cubasis = 492MB
iGrandPiano = 320MB
Bias = 224MB
Meteor Multitrack DAW = 189MB
Midimorphosis  = 46.8MB
Loopy HD = 20.9MB

This is by no means NOT the "top 10 list of IOS Music apps"  - just reporting what to expect

I highly recommend  absorbing all you can here
http://www.musicappblog.com

and read this
http://www.musicappblog.com/ios-for-music/

cooltouch

Thanks for the feedback and the list, Elantric. Well, of course T-Mobile offers the iPads with more memory for upgrade prices, $99 for the 32GB, $199 for the 64GB, and $299 for the 128GB. Honestly, about all I can afford at the moment is the $0 for 16GB.  8) I just bought an Ibanez AG85 hollow body jazz-style guitar and am in fact waiting for the UPS truck to arrive as I type this. That new guitar pretty much tapped me out for now.

You are a power user with your Apple gear that I probably never will be -- or at least won't be any time soon. I could probably get by just fine with three or four of the apps you have listed. And a couple of others that I would specifically want. A good music notation package for starters, one that is guitar friendly. Like Guitar Pro, if their developers would get their heads out of their collective a$$es. But I don't know offhand if they even offer an iPad app. I'm sure there are others out there that would work fine, though.

Currently my iPod Touch's 8GB is full with a couple or three thousand tunes, so I know how easy it is to fill up an iOS device with just music. And apps. I'll just have to resist. Do what I used to do back in the days when my main PC was an IBM 8088 clone with a 20MB hard drive. Offload apps from the hard drive that I wasn't using at the moment and install those that I needed. I used to play that game of musical chairs a lot before I finally upgraded to a faster machine.
Best,
Michael

Elantric

I admit I'm a "power user"

If you trim down and "go lean" its easy to install / remove apps you actually use.

Its important when making a 2 year commitment for the $22 /month - get the fastest hardware you can afford.
(remember that is $528 stretched out over 2 years - and no doubt in 2016, there WILL be faster iPad's out by then that will smoke anything available today.

So that is restricted to 2013 iPad Air or 2013 iPad Mini / Retina - with the new A7 64bit CPU
(details here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9882.msg71025#msg71025

I would skip any older models  - including the original Mini!

SO be sure they are selling you the latest iPad Mini with Retina 16GB Apple model# MD510LL/A

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-with-Retina-Display-16GB-with-Wi-Fi-Black-or-White/22081423

And know that in 48 hrs there will be price reductions  - rumor is $299 on Black Friday

cooltouch

Yes, what attracted me to the offer is the fact that this is the latest Mini, the one with the Retina display and internals that make it just a smaller version of the iPad AIR.

Hmm . . . black Friday is a good point. But even so, with Christmas coming up, I can't afford spending $299 or even $199 on myself. I've already done that with the AG85 -- which I'm still waiting for as it's 5:20 as I type this. I dunno, I might be able to go for the 32Gig version, though, that being "only" another hundred bux.

I'm hoping for a response from anybody on the iPad vs. iPod Touch topic, too.  I'm still wondering how much benefit an iPad will be over the iPod Touch 4g.

Best,
Michael

supernicd

I'll add my thoughts cooltouch.  I use an iPad a LOT.  I'm actually  on my third one:  have a 1, 3, and now a 5 (iPad air).  I use it for work and email, web browsing, music, you name it.  It's in my hands frequently.

If you want to start using a tablet or phone for music stuff today, get an Apple device - it's pretty much a non-question.  Android is just not there yet from everything I've read.  The audio system is just not up to snuff - there are latency issues, etc.  There are not many music apps for Android.  There are enough iOS music apps to spend a small fortune on, even at $0.99-$50 each - many of them VERY sophisticated at this point.  Look through the Sweetwater catalog for music related accessories for phones/tablets.  It's all Apple stuff.  The music industry has latched onto iOS big time.  It just has NOT happened in Android or Windows land at this point in time, and I think it will take a while to catch up.

iPad vs (iPod, iPhone) & mini - If you want to do music I would get an iPad.  Some (not all) music apps are iPad only, but the reverse is not true.  Anything that will run on an iPod/phone will run on the iPad even if it isn't optimized to take advantage of the larger screen - it'll still work.  I've never had a mini.  From what I've read all the iPad apps will work on it too.

As far as music on iOS - it is really, really coming of age.  Not quite up to where the desktop computers are at, but the gap is closing every day.  DAWs such as Auria and Cubasis are very feature rich.  You can definitely mix and master a song in them.  Synthesizers in particular - there are some fantastic apps available.  Waldorf's Nave at $20 is an amazing wave table synth.  I honestly would have expected to pay more than the cost of the Ipad and the app for a synth like this.  I would say at this point that I use the iPad for music than my desktop DAW machine, because I can take it anywhere and work on something whenever I have a few free minutes.

Elantric has a great list of apps here.  I have quite a few of those.  I'd also add as a few more favorites:

-Waldorf Nave
-Magellan
-Galileo
-Sunrizer
-Animoog (by Moog Music)
-Arturia iSEM
-Addictive Synth (additive synthesis)
-TF7 (FM synthesis)
-Thor (by Propellorhead)
-Nanostudio
-Guitarism
-DM1 Drum machine
-DrumStudio
-Drums XD
-Different Drummer
-Amplitube
-AmpKit+

And the list goes on.  Those are just some off the top of my head.

Good luck with your decision, and if you decide to pull the trigger, enjoy!

Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------