TB MIDi Stuff - Control for GR-55 with (iPhone / iPad)

Started by wmzaphod, January 17, 2012, 05:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I posted this question here - hopefully we get an answer soon.
http://www.thiburce.com/TBStuff/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45&p=902&sid=06b3c1cf772f0c9aacf8bde88ff1b6f3#p902

Fabian, this is Elantric from VGuitarforums.
Many Roland GR-55 users with iPads are excited to try to Control GR-55 using TBMIDI Stuff using the modified  templates supplied by Marc Benigni, as shown above in this thread.

I'm trying to create a step by step instruction on how to set this all up
see here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5798.msg70970#msg70970

I'm away from my GR-55  - but it seems the major stumbling block for most is possibly having a MIDI Transmit / Reception Channel Mis-match between the TBMIDI Stuff GR-55 COntrol Templates and the actual GR-55.

Question? What is the specific MIDi I/O  Channel (1-16) being used for MIDI Sysex by TBMIDI Stuff when running these GR-55 Templates ?
Should I assume MIDI Channel 1 is being used for all TBMIDI Stuff Sysex I/O communications with the GR-55 ?

*  GR 55 - 01 Amplifier.tbms (170.24 kB)
*  GR 55 - 02 FX Assigns.tbms(116.13 kB)

greekjgg

Quote from: Elantric on November 13, 2013, 11:34:11 AM
I posted this question here - hopefully we get an answer soon.
http://www.thiburce.com/TBStuff/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45&p=902&sid=06b3c1cf772f0c9aacf8bde88ff1b6f3#p902

Fabian, this is Elantric from VGuitarforums.
Many Roland GR-55 users with iPads are excited to try to Control GR-55 using TBMIDI Stuff using the modified  templates supplied by Marc Benigni, as shown above in this thread.

I'm trying to create a step by step instruction on how to set this all up
see here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5798.msg70970#msg70970

I'm away from my GR-55  - but it seems the major stumbling block for most is possibly having a MIDI Transmit / Reception Channel Mis-match between the TBMIDI Stuff GR-55 COntrol Templates and the actual GR-55.

Question? What is the specific MIDi I/O  Channel (1-16) being used for MIDI Sysex by TBMIDI Stuff when running these GR-55 Templates ?
Should I assume MIDI Channel 1 is being used for all TBMIDI Stuff Sysex I/O communications with the GR-55 ?

*  GR 55 - 01 Amplifier.tbms (170.24 kB)
*  GR 55 - 02 FX Assigns.tbms(116.13 kB)

Very cool, I had to abandon my troubleshooting for the day yesterday. I'll jump back on it once he answers the question you posted.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Elantric

This thread at MIDI Designer forum with a similar discussion regarding some general confusion among everyone regarding the importance of using MIDI Sysex with 'MIDI channel' param declared / defined for each message.   

http://mididesigner.com/qa/144/expand-sysex-with-midi-channel-param

Expand Sysex with 'MIDI channel' param

<User rainer wrote>
I'm designing editors for some synths that can only receive Sysex for their parameter values, and notice that the MIDI channel is unfortunately just a hex value in the Sysex string, which can not be parameterized or renumbered easily, for example by using the functionality built-in to renumber MIDI channels. I have my JX-8P set to channel 16, but not everyone has, and so sharing/reusing the template would require manual editing of the all individual Sysex strings... which is tedious and quite error prone.

A cool solution for this would be to add another 'placeholder' variable for the MIDI channel within the Sysex string, like the current 'V' used for inserting the Control's value.  The value for that variable would then be taken from the MIDI channel setting of the Control itself, and be susceptible to the channel renumber functionality, seamlessly integrating with everything else. I hope this will be a good addition to the programmability of complex Sysex-based synths.

Another idea would be to be able to choose the value of *any* Control as the value to use as the MIDI channel, so it would be very easy to have one global control that defines the MIDI channels for all controls that would be set to use it. Of course the Sysex MIDI channel would have to be in place for those to also work in Sysex strings :-)

<MIDI Designer Developer replied>
This is a great suggestion. I was not aware that channel was ever used in sysex strings. Being able to parameterize it so that it renumbers with the Renumber Page feature is a great idea.

Channel Changers will not currently work for sysex, but that would be the idea.

So, yes, this will get added in a future version of MIDI Designer. This feature probably won't come in until late August 2012, though, since the iPhone version takes priority (or it'll never get done). Hope you can wait that long.

Thanks for your great suggestion, and please keep them coming.

greekjgg

I'm getting communication from the GR55 it looks like. I tested all the other items and they seem to check out. I've read the manuals, etc, tutorials. What I'm not 100% sure about is

* Verify the MIDI channel(1-16) match (PATCH CH)

I know I'm on MIDI Channel 1. I'm guessing for "PATCH CH" that I'm going into RX PC MAP. From there I see a bunch of PC that could be assigned. Do all of these have to be assigned individually?

Quote from: Elantric on November 12, 2013, 01:18:22 PM
If thats the case - this is the point where I start debugging my Ipad MIDI I/O connections using a separate third party "MIDI Sniffer"  device / system ( i.e. WinPC running MIDI-OX, or Mac running SNOIZE) - all described in this thread

"Workflow" for setting up MIDI controllers
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

Might be something basic like having  your two MIDI I/O cable connections reversed  -swap those first and retry -or MIDI Communcation Channel 1-16 not matched 1:1 - GR-55 to TBMIDI STUFF)

Also on GR-55 I would read GR-55 Owners manual Page 79, and

* Verify the MIDI channel(1-16) match (PATCH CH)

* Enable Reception of External MIDI Patch change commands (PC RX SWITCH  = ON)

* Enable Transmission of External MIDI Patch change commands (PC TX SWITCH  = ON)
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

admin

QuoteI know I'm on MIDI Channel 1. I'm guessing for "PATCH CH" that I'm going into RX PC MAP.

Thats a leap in Logic -I never touch the GR-55 RC PC MAp (Receive Patch Change Map) Most here experience bugs and non functionality in that area of the GR-55

greekjgg

Quote from: admsustainiac on January 10, 2014, 09:45:45 AM
Thats a leap in Logic -I never touch the GR-55 RC PC MAp (Receive Patch Change Map) Most here experience bugs and non functionality in that area of the GR-55

OK, thats a no then? If so, do you have the answer?
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Elantric

Check here

QuoteMidi channel is not part a of sysex data string, the only thing to make a sysex message unique to one machine is "Unit ID".
The GR-55 is fixed at hex 10 (decimal 16), but in other midi equipment, you could have a stack of up to 32 of the same synth, each with a different "Unit ID" setting, allowing a sysex message to target one specific machine.
Different to midi channel, which any machine can recieve, but targets just one part (channel) of a polyphonic tone generator.
It does not matter which midi channel is selected to receive sysex, it only matters to patch change, cc# data and note on/off (performance data).
The only midi channel data contained in a sysex message is to tell the machine which midi channel to select at an operator level.

Colin..

croonbush

I finally got around to documenting my setup with the GR-55, iPad running TB midi stuff and MidiBridge, and the Keith McMillen 12 step foot controller.

It's at http://bassmode.wordpress.com/

The template (bass mode) I use for TB Midi Stuff is available for download from there, as are preset files for the 12 step.  Unfortunately MidiBridge is pretty hands on with setting up but hopefully I've explained it enough.

Anyway take a look if you're still interested.

Cheers

Toff.

@croonbrush:

Thanks a lot for putting this together, and in a very accessible way.

That is a great source of information for a newbie like me.
I purchased TBMidiStuff yesterday and have been looking at the work from mbegnini adapted by Fabien.

I like your page a lot, the philosophy for controllers and how you represented your presets with actual album covers - very astute.

Lots of learning there for me :)
Musical regards,

Toff.

Godin nylon ACS special edition (Light Burst Quilted Leaftop), Taylor T5 Classic, Fishman Triple Play, Roland GR-20, Roland GR-55, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Digitech Vocalist Live5, iConnectMidi2+

croonbush

This has now moved to www.bassmode.info
Now includes downloadable templates for both iPad and iphone5

The TB Midi Stuff app on the iPad is great for controlling the Roland GR-55, however you need both hands to play guitar/bass, so with the addition of the compact Keith McMillen 12 step midi foot controller you can control the essentials with your feet, while still getting patch feedback on both the iPad and 12 step. It also gives you an external expression pedal for assigning to whatever you like.

An added bonus is the ability to control Tabletop (or any midi controllable soft synth) on the iPad. In this instance I'm using the 12 step to control the RS4000 synth for bass notes and Gridlok for triggering samples.

This a pretty basic demo of this whole system in action.
Roland GR-55 guitar synth (running in bass mode)
Keith McMillen 12 step midi foot controller
iPad running MidiBridge, TB Midi Stuff and Tabletop

Control the following from the 12 step:
1. GR-55 program changes (instant access to around 12 patches "per octave")
2. GR-55 voice and effect block controls. Direct access without having to "assign" for every patch
3. Tabletop synth (for playing bass notes with the 12 step while doing other things on guitar/bass)
4. Tabletop sampler (for triggering samples with the 12 step while doing other things on guitar/bass)

All four control destinations are easily switchable from the two buttons (S1/S2) on the GK controller on your guitar/bass.

For detailed instructions on how to set this all up (with downloadable TB Midi Stuff template and 12 step preset files) please head to
www.bassmode.info

This video is primarily about showing the controls working so it's not particularly enlightening musically, my apologies.

jlpadiolleau

Hi,
I bought TB midi stuff a few days ago to create GR55 interface. I have some problems with SysSex request to modify slider position/value on patch change.
When I copy a existing slider from an page, it works fine, but no when I create a new, it don't.
However I put the same code in midi message.
I spend many time to find the solution but nothing can do ...
Do you have a solution ?
Thanks a lot
Jean-Luc, a french user

jlpadiolleau

This is the page I make with TB midi stuff.
It's GR55's simplifies commands.
But some SysEx requests don't work.