FC-300 FAQ

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 06:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Elantric

FC-300's settings can be programmed via the VG-99 Editor

See this link for screenshots of the FC-300 Edit screens in the VG-99 Editor:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/vg-8/files/Documentation/FC-300/FC-300%20Edit%20Screens/

Majority of FC-300 Editing tasks can be performed via these Edit screens.

Access on them by clicking the "Details" icon in the upper right next to "SYSTEM/MIDI/USB/VLINK" and "CONTROL ASSIGN"

Elantric

To Program the FC-300 from the VG-99 Editor

It doesn't have banks, just drop-down folders of presets in other
folders by type.
What you do is assign a CC # to "Amps" or Cabs, mics, and each value
+ or - of the CC # changes to a different amp, mic, knob position,
etc.
What I need to do is programme a CC for each parameter making up the
preset and engage them all with one command from the FC-300.

I guess it would be like pregramming an effects chain (delay, flange,
etc to engage at once...

Thanks Brent!

FWIW - the complete VG-99 MIDI Implementation is here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1056.0;attach=1419

I translated it from Japanese.

Re FC-300 MIDI Implementation - the details are in the rear sections of the FC-300 Owners manual

The FC-300 has no preassigned MIDI "CC" numbers - mapping to functions.

Predefined MIDI system exclusive messages = yes

Predefined  MIDI CC# = no  - its user assignable using  two methods.

Program FC-300 MIDI CC# assignments using the VG-99 Editor,
set it here:

or stoop down and program directly on the FC-300. - both methods work - and nothing is gained using one method or the other.

s0c9

Elantric

Elantric

Using one of these can extend the FC300 CC# range beyond CC#95  - you may need it for larger control needs.

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

MIDI Solutions  Event Processor Plus

The MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus offers all of the functionality of the MIDI Solutions Event Processor, with 32 settings instead of the Event Processor's 10, and 8 variable storage locations instead of the Event Processor's 2. Each of the Event Processor Plus's 32 settings can be programmed with a unique MIDI processing function. By combining these settings the Event Processor Plus becomes an extremely powerful tool capable of processing MIDI events in almost any way imaginable. You can map MIDI events or ranges of MIDI events to other MIDI events, filter MIDI events or ranges of MIDI events, trigger MIDI events, toggle between MIDI events, sequence through MIDI events, scale or crossfade MIDI messages, transpose notes, scale velocities, map to and from System Exclusive, NRPN, Bank Select messages, store incoming values in variables for later use... the Event Processor is like a swiss army knife of MIDI processing products, an indispensable tool in any MIDI musician's arsenal.

The Event Processor Plus works by comparing each incoming MIDI event with each of its 32 settings. When an incoming MIDI event matches a setting, the event is processed according to that setting. By combining different settings for different incoming events, the Event Processor Plus becomes an extremely powerful tool capable of achieving virtually any combination of MIDI-processing functions.

Following is a list of the Event Processor Plus's functions, but better yet download the Event Processor Plus Programming Tools software and read the Guide to the Event Processor and Event Processor Plus by Bruce Wahler of Ashby Solutions. The Programming Tools software is free for download, quick to install, and contains lots of examples that demonstrate the many applications of the Event Processor Plus. And the Guide to the Event Processor and Event Processor Plus is a comprehensive guide that makes it easy to understand everything these amazing products are capable of!

Filter MIDI Events

Map MIDI Events

Trigger MIDI Events

Cycle Through a Sequence of MIDI Events

Turn Settings On and Off

Store Incoming Values in Variables

The Event Processor Plus is programmed by sending it MIDI System Exclusive messages (see FAQs - Programming). This is easily done with the Event Processor Plus Programming Tools software. Once programmed, the Event Processor Plus's settings are retained even after power is removed. The Event Processor Plus can be reprogrammed with new settings as often as needed.

The Event Processor Plus is MIDI-powered, and requires no batteries or power supply to operate with most MIDI products (see FAQs - Power and FAQs - LED for more information). A MIDI indicator LED lights up when the product is powered and flashes when MIDI data passes through it.

weight: 3.8 oz.
dimensions: 4-3/16" x 2-3/16" x 1-3/32"

Learn more about the MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus

New! Guide to the Event Processor and Event Processor Plus by Bruce Wahler of Ashby Solutions. Bruce Wahler of Ashby Solutions has written an excellent guide to the MIDI Solutions Event Processor and Event Processor Plus. This guide makes it easy to understand everything these amazing products are capable of!

Event Processor Plus Application Examples

Programming Tools Software

Event Processor Plus Operating Instructions

How to order the MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus

Questions? Send us an email: info@midisolutions.com

Elantric

New Roland Doc on replacing the RRC2 EtherCon Connector

ILoveMadoka

I have upgraded from a VG-88 to A VG-99 with the FC-300.
I though it was going to be a piece of cake to assign my patches
on the 99 to a particular button on the PC-300.
Select your patch, pick a button, Save, Done....

No.

Well, so then, I reordered my patchs on the VG so that my "favorites" are 001, 002, 003 etc on the VG.

I have only figured out how switch between them in SYS EX mode which
would be fine with one major issue, if I use the bank up button to move from say
1 to 6 the patch changes right then. I want to get the patch ready and
push the button exactly when I want the sound to change.
If my patch was a simple 1/6, 2/7 thing it would be manageable but to go from
patch 1 to patch 8 is not doable.

I am going to be honest, I want to do this without using the software.

I have read a bunch of threads here and I still don't understand exactly
what I need to do to assign say Patch 23 on the VG to Pedal 1 Bank 1
and then Patch 67 on the VG to Pedal 4 Bank 2.

This stuff is totally greek to me:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,1377.0.html

CTL3, CC#76, Range 0–127, MODE-LATCH
CTL4, CC#75, Range 0–127, MODE-LATCH

WTF??  ???

The related posts I can find dance around my issue but still
have not provided me with what I'm looking for...

Do I need to be in Standard Mode? Patch Mode?

I'm also afraid I've totally hosed the FC-300 configuration
screwing around with the Utility & Mode & Write Control Panels

Would someone kindly explain how to:

1) Assign a patch to a particular pedal in a particular bank
    Does it have to be done totally on the FC-300?

2) Explain how to move through the banks without having the patch automatically change
then when you have moved to the bank and the preset you want, you press the button THEN it changes sound.
Page 48 in the manual [WAIT FOR A NUM] looked like the answer but it did not work for me..

I'm obviously much more stupid about these things than I want to admit!

Please! Please help!!

Thank much!

ps: Please forgive my obvious frustration and anger if any of
my writing comes across wrong. I'm really bent over this! >:(

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group ILoveMadoka!  :)

Let me try to help with your problem, the FC-300 calls up the patches in the order that they are stored in the VG-99. No way around that. So to go back to your question. "what I need to do to assign say Patch 23 on the VG to Pedal 1 Bank 1" The answer is you would save it to preset 001 in the VG. This thread may help you but it is tricky. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1377.0

Let me know what if I can answer any questions for you.

Brent Flash

And...you will want to use WAIT FOR NUMBER (on the VG not the FC). This will allow you to switch banks and then it will not change till you push what number you want in that bank.

ILoveMadoka

Well...

I've already reordered everything so that is done.

Where in the VG do you change the "Wait For" assignment.
I've been all through those pages and don't see that anywhere..

As far at your referenced post, It might as well be in Japanese to me.
I do not understand what it is saying.

What does the CTL stand for and what does the CC# represent?

When would I use Standard Mode or Patch Mode?

If I can get the WAIT issue resolved, I'm working but
I don't like not understanding what is going on...

..and thanks for the reply!!

Brent Flash

Quote from:  ILoveMadoka on December 04, 2010, 09:04:35 PM
Well...

Press the SYSTEM button, then Press PAGE [left button] to display Page 1, Then F5 to select FC-300, then set BANK CHANGE with [F2] (SELECT) or with the F2 knob so WAIT NUM is selected.

Yes the thread I pointed you to is for users that are familar with MIDI. I have no way of knowing how much or how little you know so I took the chance that there would be something there that you could use. You may want to visit that thread again once you know a little more about MIDI. There are threads here that do start with some MIDI basics but I will have to look for them to point you in that direction or you could do a search on the HOME page.
Well the answer for now is when you learn more about MIDI but there are some good reasons some users use these modes. I for one use STANDARD MODE so that I can switch from one patch to another with one button. This lets me do less dancing when I am switching from 12 string to harmony to lead to acoustic all in one song.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Brent Flash

Sorry...forgot to answer this one. CTL stands for CONTROL and in this case refers to the CTL 3 and CTL 4 on the FC-300. CC# stands for Continuous Control number. Continuous Control is a MIDI message that will control a MIDI device for example CC 7 is usually assigned to MIDI volume with a range or value of 0-127, 127 being volume full on and 0 being off. So if you send a keyboard CC7 value 0 it will turn the keyboard volume all the way down and 127 all the way up. Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

ILoveMadoka

I talked to Roland today and from that conversation I have written a
very comprehensive (and simple step by step) to setting up the FC-300
in Patch Mode.
I want to put it in the Tutorial section but I don't see a way to create a new thread.

??

Brent Flash

Quote from:  ILoveMadoka on December 06, 2010, 07:56:32 PM
I talked to Roland today and from that conversation I have written a
very comprehensive (and simple step by step) to setting up the FC-300
in Patch Mode.
I want to put it in the Tutorial section but I don't see a way to create a new thread.
??
If you are wanting to start a new forum in the Tutorial section then you are correct only the owner has the ability to do that but you can put it in the FC-300 forum (where this topic is) and start a new topic there. If the owner decides to add a forum in the Tutorial section we can move it then. I can also pin it in the FC-300 forum.

Just for your info, not many members are interested in PATCH MODE because of the complexity of it. And another reason is SYSEX MODE is really what the VG is designed to use but members have set up PATCH MODE to control other guitar processors such as Digidesign's (now AVID) guitar system.

vanceg

Quote from: Brent Flash on December 04, 2010, 08:21:53 PM
Welcome to the group ILoveMadoka!  :)

Let me try to help with your problem, the FC-300 calls up the patches in the order that they are stored in the VG-99. No way around that.

Wait a moment: If you are using the FC-300 to send Program Change messages instead of in SysEx mode, you can use the Receive PC Map feature of the VG-99 to map specific Program Change messages to recall specific patches. no need to reorder the patches in the VG-99.  But, I like SysEx mode... so I, too, stick with that.

vanceg

To access the Wait mode, go into the VG-99 editor, go to System, and set FC-300 Bank Change to Wait instead of Immediate.

Vance

Well...

ILoveMadoka

I originally re-ordered my patches on the VG-99 so that my favorites and custom patches were 001, 002, 003, etc.
I used SYS EX mode since it is a 1:1 default assignment.

What I did not like about SYS EX mode was that when I pressed the UP or DOWN Mode buttons the patch (ie:sound) would automatically change to the patch on the VG-99 that was up (or down) 5 from the current patch.
[I had not yet found how to change this in the manual!]

I wanted more control on exactly WHEN the sound would change.
Plus you could not navigate from Patch 1 to Patch 8 without the sound patches changing automatically.
To me this was un-desireable.
[I have since found out how to do this as well]

These are the instructions on programming your FC-300 with your VG-99 Using Patch Mode.
I'm sure it works the same no matter what the FC-300 is connected to.

I'm a MIDI novice so I hope this step by step helps out others who are in the same boat as I was!!

Once you have done a patch or two, it is very simple even though there are several steps involved.

Good luck & Keep Shreddin'!

============================================================

01) Press the Mode Button until the light by Patch appears.
     Patch Mode Selected.

02) Push the desired Pedal or navigate to the desired Patch Number on the FC-300.
    The LED display will show the Patch you have selected (ie: P.25)

03) Push the Right Parameter Button ->

The display reads: PATCH: On Midi [WRITE]

Press the WRITE button once

The display now reads: Edit Midi [WRITE]

Press WRITE button again

It should show:

001:----
     ------ ------

04) Press the right Parameter Button -> to move the cursor to the very first dash

05) Press the Value Up button

The display should show:

001:PC  CH#01
                PC#001

06) Push the Right Parameter Button -> twice to move the cursor to the PC#001 text.

07) Press Value Up until you have the desired patch number on the VG-99

08) Press the Exit Button once

The display should read: Edit Midi [WRITE]

09) Press the Exit Button again

The display should read: PATCH: On Midi [WRITE]

10) Press the Exit Button again

The display should now read: Roland FC-300

Note: It's not saved yet!

11) Press WRITE button once

The display should now read:

Write to [WRITE]
XX - Your desired Patch Number is displayed

12) Press WRITE button again

The display should now read:

Sure?   [WRITE]
## - Your desired Patch Number

13) Press WRITE button again

Now Writing...

Display shows FC-300 when done!

Repeat as necessary for your desired patches.

ILoveMadoka

Simplified.

01) Patch Mode

02) Push desired pedal

03) Press Right Parameter Button once

04) Press WRITE 2 times

05) Press Right Parameter Button once

06) Press VALUE UP

07) Press Right Parameter Button 2 times

08) Press VALUE UP to desired Patch Number on the VG-99

09) Press [EXIT] 3 times

10) Press [WRITE] 3 times

Brent Flash

Quote from:  ILoveMadoka on December 07, 2010, 12:55:32 PM
I originally re-ordered my patches on the VG-99 so that my favorites and custom patches were 001, 002, 003, etc.
I used SYS EX mode since it is a 1:1 default assignment.

What I did not like about SYS EX mode was that when I pressed the UP or DOWN Mode buttons the patch (ie:sound) would automatically change to the patch on the VG-99 that was up (or down) 5 from the current patch.

I wanted more control on exactly WHEN the sound would change.
Plus you could not navigate from Patch 1 to Patch 8 without the sound patches changing automatically.
To me this was un-desireable.
Just so you will know, SYSEX MODE can be set so that the patch will change when you hit the patch button and not when you hit the bank button. I think that is the way everyone here uses it. You just need to set the VG to WAIT NUM for the FC-300 BANK CHANGE  parameter in the system settings. To do this: Press the SYSTEM button, then Press PAGE [left button] to display Page 1, Then F5 to select FC-300, then set BANK CHANGE with [F2] (SELECT) or with the F2 knob so WAIT NUM is selected.

ILoveMadoka

Just found that in the VG-99 manual....

Still... It was good [for me] to find out how to setup patch Mode.

Brent Flash

Quote from:  ILoveMadoka on December 07, 2010, 05:19:00 PM
Just found that in the VG-99 manual....

Still... It was good [for me] to find out how to setup patch Mode.
Yes, I agree. To get all the controllers to work in PATCH MODE you will need to use some of the tips I pointed you to in your other thread. Setting up your foot pedals and switches to work by CC# in your patches on the VG. I use SYSEX and STANDARD so most of my patches are set up to use both.

FYI in the CONTOL ASSIGN section of the VG you can set your patches up for the FC-300 (which is SYSEX MODE) and also using CC# under the ASSIGN pane (STANDARD or PATCH). I have a foot switch that changes modes and I have set it up to cycle between just SYSEX and STANDARD. This is done on the FC-300 with it's menu.

admin

Courtesy of SixEight

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9689.0#msg69557
The trick for making multiple assigns in several FC-300 / VG-99 patches

Lately I had to change the Control Assignments in all my patches for my new FC300. Didn't feel like making the same changes on every patch. There had to be a quicker way.

Found a quick way to make multiple assigns in several patches with the help of a sysex librarian. I did this on my Macbook with the Snoize sysex librarian: http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

Here is the trick:
1) Take a patch and make sure all the assignments you want to make are something else than what you want it to be.
2) Start the VG99 editor
3) Start the Sysex Librarian and set the destination to VG99 Control (see enclosed picture)
4) Now press Record Many on the Sysex Librarian
5) Make all the Control Assingments you want to change in the VG99 Editor, but do not press Write
6) When done switch to the sysex librarian and press Done.
7) Now choose any patch on the VG99 and press Play. All the assignments will be made.
8 ) Press Write on the VG-99 to save and smile.

baatkarlo

Quote from:  admsustainiac on October 10, 2013, 11:37:25 AM
Courtesy of SixEight

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9689.0#msg69557
The trick for making multiple assigns in several FC-300 / VG-99 patches

Lately I had to change the Control Assignments in all my patches for my new FC300. Didn't feel like making the same changes on every patch. There had to be a quicker way.

Found a quick way to make multiple assigns in several patches with the help of a sysex librarian. I did this on my Macbook with the Snoize sysex librarian: http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

Here is the trick:
1) Take a patch and make sure all the assignments you want to make are something else than what you want it to be.
2) Start the VG99 editor
3) Start the Sysex Librarian and set the destination to VG99 Control (see enclosed picture)
4) Now press Record Many on the Sysex Librarian
5) Make all the Control Assingments you want to change in the VG99 Editor, but do not press Write
6) When done switch to the sysex librarian and press Done.
7) Now choose any patch on the VG99 and press Play. All the assignments will be made.
8 ) Press Write on the VG-99 to save and smile.

Is there a PC app that allows SysEx based multi-patch changes in a similar way? I have often wanted this to enable batch edit for system param changes across sets of patches for things like using amps v/s line out on certain patch sets, guitar pup v/s COSM pup on some patches etc.
Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.

Elantric

QuoteIs there a PC app that allows SysEx based multi-patch changes in a similar way? I have often wanted this to enable batch edit for system param changes across sets of patches for things like using amps v/s line out on certain patch sets, guitar pup v/s COSM pup on some patches etc.

Sure

http://support.tc-helicon.com/entries/21007708-Recommended-software-for-MIDI-dumps-back-ups-software-updates